Please . . .

Ed Rooney

I have a frustration with the modern world that I'm sure many of you share. We want to capture images of people doing things . . . but 999 people out of 1,000 are just looking at their cellphone screens. 

Edited by Ed Rooney

39 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

I have a frustration with the modern world that I'm sure many of you share. We want to capture images of people doing things . . . but 999 people out of 1,000 are just looking at their cellphone screens. 

AoA - %phone% = 108 pages/rolling year

(Yes I know saxophone and xylophone will be in there too.)

wim

You’ve not lost your touch, Edo. Wish my port was half as excellent as yours.

On another note, have you picked up a bit of the language by now? Old dogs and new tricks come to mind, not sure if this (me) old dog could do it.  The Spanish language seems so full of sounds and syllables to convey what we say in few words, but I may be wrong.

Betty

Betty, I have 5 major issues, any of which could sink my ship. The 6th issue is language. I have a little travel Spanish from my many South American shoots, but I don't seem to be retaining new vocabulary. And yes, it's not an easy language. I keep slipping into Italian. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 28/03/2019 at 17:13, Ed Rooney said:

That means $6,200 rent a month, Matt. $74,400 a year. 😮

I hope she has a fab job, Chuck. 

I'm sorry, Betty. My statement was unclear. I know the way to open the exposure on both my 100-6 and a6000. You click the bottom of the dial. I should have said that some highlights blew out. I mostly use Aperture Priority with RAW, but I have used Intelligent Auto and a few of the Scene settings. The Auto Focus is much improved on the 100-6.

I live in NYC. I know the area. $6200 for walk up? unless she got 1000 square foot apartment

On 30/03/2019 at 22:41, Ed Rooney said:

Jay Maisel was a neighbor of mine in Lower Manhattan, and I knew him from the interview we did in '74 for The Nikon Image. When commenting on his students' snaps in the workshops he held, he used the terms Light, Shape, Color, and Gesture. 

Regarding Chuck and Bill Brooks suggesting that I get more involved with a PJ approach -- I was a hardcore PJ for a time, covering wars and riots and whatnot. I didn't love it. I endured it. But I'm retired and old now. And I prefer capturing pretty pictures. I worked hard during a long and varied pro career. Let me say that being 84 is very different from being 74 and a world away from being 64. 

I'm not that comfortable with the term 'Street.' I prefer 'casual' even if I'm shooting in the street. If a person is not totally engaged in an activity, getting in close changes casual to a mutual involvement. I do a bit of this and maybe I should do more. I used to. Unfortunately, the thing that most people in public places are doing now days is looking at their phones.

I don't plan to start shooting News for Alamy but I think I will be doing more direct confrontation stuff. I would like to find a new subject other than travel and food. 

As a suggestion for a new subject - how about Occupations and Jobs - i only say this as i am trying to focus on new subjects, and we know that images of people doing things sell well - i just feel i need more of them in my portfolio

Martin