39 minutes ago, Matt Ashmore said:

Other than the fact it's on the 4th floor, I have absolutely no idea what that means! ūüôā

No elevator. Lots of stairs. Keeps you healthy.

Paulette

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

When I come across a possible stock subject I notice the lighting, composition, and color. If the scene makes me think of a caption, it's stock. I don't sit around pondering these things. It's all intuitive and done in the time it takes to snap my fingers. Yogi Berra said, "you can't think and hit at the same time."  To hit a baseball coming at you at 100 mph takes talent, instinct . . . and practice. Street photography is like that.

That's HCB's decisive moment,  or the Zen archer.

Edited by Martin P Wilson

7 hours ago, Chuck Nacke said:

Hey Edo,

Hope you are well.  My daughter just got a job in NYC and she is paying 6,200 a month

for a 4th floor walk up on East 61st.....

I've always liked your images, only suggestion is to throw in a bit more photojournalism.

tell a story, Bla Bla Bla.

Best,

Chuck

Wow! That's ludicrous. I thought Vancouver rents were ridiculously high.

No wonder Edo moved to Spain.

The Renters' Revolution is long overdue...

3 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

Wow! That's ludicrous. I thought Vancouver rents were ridiculously high.

No wonder Edo moved to Spain.

The Renters' Revolution is long overdue...

My rent-stabilized apartment in Lower Manhattan cost me just $446 a month while across the hall a young woman was paying the "normal" rent of $4,500 -- ten times my rent. No, I cannot afford NYC any longer. Can I afford to live in Spain? That remains to be seen. 

Tio Edo

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Martin P Wilson said:

That's HCB's decisive moment,  or the Zen archer.

I'm not sure HCB worked that way, Martin.

When I did The Nikon Image (book), Eric Meola and I had a long talk about how we thought HCB captured many of his decisive moments: he picked an interesting location and then patiently waited for someone to pass. Or he staged the shots. Eric did both those things. And I have done so, but these days I don't have a lot of patience.

https://www.amazon.com/Nikon-Image-Ed-Rooney/dp/B00185WPUE

Please don't think that I am criticizing HCB; he was a great photographer and a great innovator. 

Zen archery? Now I like the sound of that. And yes, I've read the book. Hmmm. (I do use sniper breathing. It helps with my familiar tremor.)

Edited by Ed Rooney

12 hours ago, NYCat said:

No elevator. Lots of stairs. Keeps you healthy.

Paulette

Thanks Paulette.. that makes sense to me now!

My flat was also four flights up in NYC. Here my rental is two flights up, and there's a lift. Do I walk up anyway? hahahahahahaha!

If any of you have not seen this interview, you're in for. a treat.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

My rent-stabilized apartment in Lower Manhattan cost me just $446 a month while across the hall a young woman was paying the "normal" rent of $4,500 -- ten times my rent. No, I cannot afford NYC any longer. Can I afford to live in Spain? That remains to be seen. 

Tio Edo

That's quite a difference. However, I hate to say that you got a good deal because that's what rents should be. Big cities are becoming increasingly unlivable, especially for the young and the old. The average rent for a one-bedroom apartment here in Vancouver is reportedly now $2100 (CAN), which leaves many people out in the rain.

9 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

I'm not sure HCB worked that way, Martin.

When I did The Nikon Image (book), Eric Meola and I had a long talk about how we thought HCB captured many of his decisive moments: he picked an interesting location and then patiently waited for someone to pass. Or he staged the shots. Eric did both those things. And I have done so, but these days I don't have a lot of patience.

https://www.amazon.com/Nikon-Image-Ed-Rooney/dp/B00185WPUE

Please don't think that I am criticizing HCB; he was a great photographer and a great innovator. 

Zen archery? Now I like the sound of that. And yes, I've read the book. Hmmm. (I do use sniper breathing. It helps with my familiar tremor.)

Edo,

But you didn't include my image of the 89 SF earthquake, shot with a Canon F1.  Long funny story.

Yea renting in NYC has become truly "INSANE"  I lived in a 5th floor walk up on East 82cd street and

had all of my NIKON equipment ripped off the day before I was to move to Kiev.  NIKON NPS and Jay

Maisel saved my life.

Best,

Chuck

Jay Maisel was a neighbor of mine in Lower Manhattan, and I knew him from the interview we did in '74 for The Nikon Image. When commenting on his students' snaps in the workshops he held, he used the terms Light, Shape, Color, and Gesture. 

Regarding Chuck and Bill Brooks suggesting that I get more involved with a PJ approach -- I was a hardcore PJ for a time, covering wars and riots and whatnot. I didn't love it. I endured it. But I'm retired and old now. And I prefer capturing pretty pictures. I worked hard during a long and varied pro career. Let me say that being 84 is very different from being 74 and a world away from being 64. 

I'm not that comfortable with the term 'Street.' I prefer 'casual' even if I'm shooting in the street. If a person is not totally engaged in an activity, getting in close changes casual to a mutual involvement. I do a bit of this and maybe I should do more. I used to. Unfortunately, the thing that most people in public places are doing now days is looking at their phones.

I don't plan to start shooting News for Alamy but I think I will be doing more direct confrontation stuff. I would like to find a new subject other than travel and food. 

Edo,

I should have been move specific when I wrote "Photojournalism."  I was not talking about conflict or as I call it "Death, Doom and Destruction"

What I was talking about is pictures illustrating life as an "expat in Spain"  That is an interesting story and "food and Travel" fit into it.

P.S. Jay is a great guy and he did me a favor that I will never forget, unfortunately I have never met him in person.

Chuck

While we are throwing these names around, I studied Cibachrome with George Obremski at ICP and took a seminar at the PhotoExpo with Jay Maisel. Wonderful teachers. There is an advantage to living in NYC. I ordered your book, Edo, supposedly the last one on Amazon.

Paulette

I did it in a "New York minute". You didn't stand a chance.

Paulette

Ladies, they have been saying that last-book thing for years. 

6 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Jay Maisel was a neighbor of mine in Lower Manhattan, and I knew him from the interview we did in '74 for The Nikon Image. When commenting on his students' snaps in the workshops he held, he used the terms Light, Shape, Color, and Gesture. 

Regarding Chuck and Bill Brooks suggesting that I get more involved with a PJ approach -- I was a hardcore PJ for a time, covering wars and riots and whatnot. I didn't love it. I endured it. But I'm retired and old now. And I prefer capturing pretty pictures. I worked hard during a long and varied pro career. Let me say that being 84 is very different from being 74 and a world away from being 64. 

I'm not that comfortable with the term 'Street.' I prefer 'casual' even if I'm shooting in the street. If a person is not totally engaged in an activity, getting in close changes casual to a mutual involvement. I do a bit of this and maybe I should do more. I used to. Unfortunately, the thing that most people in public places are doing now days is looking at their phones.

I don't plan to start shooting News for Alamy but I think I will be doing more direct confrontation stuff. I would like to find a new subject other than travel and food. 

You're an inspiration to a 70-year-old youngster like myself, Tio Edo.

Ain't nothin' wrong with pretty pictures. They can be an antidote to all the travail in the world.

3 hours ago, Cecile Marion said:

Paulette, you beat me to it!

Cecile, I took a look again on Amazon and you still can find "22 used" from various sellers so I did not get the last one. You just have to look at the fine print below the one that shows up.

Paulette

4 hours ago, Chuck Nacke said:

Edo,

I should have been move specific when I wrote "Photojournalism."  I was not talking about conflict or as I call it "Death, Doom and Destruction"

What I was talking about is pictures illustrating life as an "expat in Spain"  That is an interesting story and "food and Travel" fit into it.

P.S. Jay is a great guy and he did me a favor that I will never forget, unfortunately I have never met him in person.

Chuck

Yes, I don't want to do any more of that DDD stuff. Even this long after, it's left a scar on my soul. 

After Jay sold the bank building he owned on the Bowery and Spring Street, he bought and moved to a townhouse in Cobble Hill, Brooklyn, just two blocks from where I grew up. 

3 hours ago, NYCat said:

Cecile, I took a look again on Amazon and you still can find "22 used" from various sellers so I did not get the last one. You just have to look at the fine print below the one that shows up.

Paulette

Thanks, Paulette. I ordered a slightly used copy.¬†ūüėÄ

On ‚Äé30‚Äé/‚Äé03‚Äé/‚Äé2019 at 15:44, Ed Rooney said:

Yes, I don't want to do any more of that DDD stuff. Even this long after, it's left a scar on my soul. 

After Jay sold the bank building he owned on the Bowery and Spring Street, he bought and moved to a townhouse in Cobble Hill, Brooklyn, just two blocks from where I grew up. 

Edo,

You still have a soul, lucky boy.....

Chuck

I'm simply not worthy to comment on your port, except to say it's exceptional.

2 hours ago, Colblimp said:

I'm simply not worthy to comment on your port, except to say it's exceptional.

Thank you so much, Andy. I'm a fan of yours, too.

I have benefited from asking the forum to look at my stuff. It's made me look at things more closely myself. 

• Upvote 1

Hello Ed,

I'll take a risk and add my two cents; and as I only have something positive to say I hope you won't mind.

I looked through most of your port, I like it because:  It is 'clean', 'tidy', not cluttered with similars, every image added to it has been I'm sure carefully chosen and it shows.  Looks like you have been quite busy in Spain, nice images.   There is, in my opinion, no room for improvement on your port. 

Helen

Thank you, Helen.

If I get many more compliments I will have to get a new Yankee cap for my swollen head. 

Let me point out that I work quickly and try to be invisible when I'm shooting. When I do PP, I work on one image at a time, moving from LR to PS and sometimes going into NIK. Editing, I see myself as a painter. (If I were shooting News I would shoot jpegs and never touch the image once it left the camera.) 

Edo