Help! Trying to load images into thread.

Allan Bell

Question

I have just tried to load images onto the competition site "Eating" by my usual method of drag and drop from one page to another and it is not working for me now.

I also tried to do it through the "insert other media" route but that did not work either.

Any help would be welcome.

Allan

18 answers to this question

Hi everyone,

Our forum providers have confirmed that this is a browser issue and not something that can be fixed within the platform itself. Normally Chrome is the recommended browser to use as most services will be optimized for it, but as others suggest in this thread it looks like FF is the best option here. 

Thanks,

Alamy

17 hours ago, MariaJ said:

I usually add the image to whichever lightbox I have active at the moment, copy the image location from there, paste it into the discussion thread, and then go back and delete the image from the lightbox.  So I haven't tried deleting the entire lightbox, but the image still shows up in the discussion thread even after I've deleted it from the lightbox.

Maria

Then it will stick in the thread. Thank you.

Allan

8 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

If you delete the lightbox does the pasted in image disappear from the thread too?

Allan

I usually add the image to whichever lightbox I have active at the moment, copy the image location from there, paste it into the discussion thread, and then go back and delete the image from the lightbox.  So I haven't tried deleting the entire lightbox, but the image still shows up in the discussion thread even after I've deleted it from the lightbox.

Maria

1 hour ago, MariaJ said:

I'm on an older Mac.  Lately I have been saving the image I want to post to a lightbox, and then right clicking from there to get the image location (and then changing the "thumbs" part of the address to "comp" when it is pasted in).

Maria

If you delete the lightbox does the pasted in image disappear from the thread too?

Allan

I'm on an older Mac.  Lately I have been saving the image I want to post to a lightbox, and then right clicking from there to get the image location (and then changing the "thumbs" part of the address to "comp" when it is pasted in).

Maria

43 minutes ago, NYCat said:

I know NOTHING about software but this doesn't make sense to me. If Safari used to work and now doesn't after they changed the software it is likely that it has something to do with their software. No? Expert opinions appreciated. Nothing to do about it probably and I do have Firefox. Safari is not some odd little browser that no one has. It comes with Macs and computer-challenged old folks like me probably just stick with it. Anyway, Alamy did step up to answer the question and I appreciate that.

Paulette

Yes! Thank you Alamy.

Allan

4 hours ago, Alamy said:

Hi everyone,

Our forum providers have confirmed that this is a browser issue and not something that can be fixed within the platform itself. Normally Chrome is the recommended browser to use as most services will be optimized for it, but as others suggest in this thread it looks like FF is the best option here. 

Thanks,

Alamy

I know NOTHING about software but this doesn't make sense to me. If Safari used to work and now doesn't after they changed the software it is likely that it has something to do with their software. No? Expert opinions appreciated. Nothing to do about it probably and I do have Firefox. Safari is not some odd little browser that no one has. It comes with Macs and computer-challenged old folks like me probably just stick with it. Anyway, Alamy did step up to answer the question and I appreciate that.

Paulette

I posted about this problem in the section of the forum called "The Forum" and I have received an email from someone at Alamy I haven't encountered before. She is passing on information about this problem to the people who make the forum and will get back to me. So I think if we have problems specifically with the forum it is worth reporting them in that section. I must say I'm still not accustomed to these different sections.

Paulette

https://c7.alamy.com/comp/F5RJG9/downtown-minneapolis-metro-transit-blue-line-hiawatha-light-rail-at-F5RJG9.jpg

And this is showing a resized image using the edit box that pops up in the edit window when you double click on an image.

It will set a maximum size, but will size down when needed.

wim

Maintaining the image ratio is a problem with some of those links.

To see this in action while you're posting an image, just click on the little sheet with a magnifying glass to the right of the menu, next to Size (which is font size, not image size).

To see it in action here, just make your browser window narrower. Or try browsing on your phone.

downtown-minneapolis-metro-transit-blue-line-hiawatha-light-rail-at-F5RJG9.jpg

Drag and drop from the zoom page.

Downtown Minneapolis. Metro Transit Blue Line Hiawatha Light Rail at Warehouse Hennepin stop. Bob Dylan Mural in Stock Photo

Drag and drop from the pop-up window from the zoom page.

https://c7.alamy.com/comp/F5RJG9/downtown-minneapolis-metro-transit-blue-line-hiawatha-light-rail-at-F5RJG9.jpg

Drag and drop from the View Image page that is reachable holding the Shift key and right-clicking on the above pop-up.

All in FF.

wim

edit: the first two are deformed when the browser window is narrow or small, while the last one maintains it's image ratio.

1 hour ago, spacecadet said:

No trouble here with FF, either drag from the image page, or my usual method, which is Paulette's workaround- copy image address, paste straight into the reply box. You get a smaller image but I usually get a squeezed image when I try it the other way.

I guess this is where the size of the image can be determined by changing the wording between "zooms" and "comp" in the URL text.

Anyway, this method can be used when using insert from URL - which can be copied from FF with a right click on the image while holding Shift down and choosing "copy image location".

I haven't tried the method to draw the image from another window in the new forum.

Niels

PS I normally use Chrome - but use FF  to get the "copy image location" which I cannot in Chrome.

12 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

No trouble here with FF, either drag from the image page, or my usual method, which is Paulette's workaround- copy image address, paste straight into the reply box. You get a smaller image but I usually get a squeezed image when I try it the other way.

Rather academic now as "My Dashboard" has just gone down/off line.

Allan

1 minute ago, NYCat said:

I'm having problems too and had to use my enlarged images from the Image Manager to do right click and copy image address. Then I could insert other media. I am worried about how I will upload other people's images when it comes time for voting in the Challenge. I will be interested to see how people are proceeding. I am using Safari on a Mac.

Paulette

Thanks Paulette. I am using Safari on Mac too.

Will give your method a try.

Allan

I'm having problems too and had to use my enlarged images from the Image Manager to do right click and copy image address. Then I could insert other media. I am worried about how I will upload other people's images when it comes time for voting in the Challenge. I will be interested to see how people are proceeding. I am using Safari on a Mac.

Paulette

Archived