Car ID required -- Morgan?

MizBrown

Not sure what you mean by reg, but googling Morgan Cars came up with a Wikipedia article on the Morgan Plus 8 and the Plus 4.   Safe to say Morgan car, if anyone knows their British cars better than I do, I'd appreciate more information.

Just to be clearer, the 4/4 and Plus 4 are to all intents and purposes identical in terms of that photo, the Plus 4 has a bigger engine and a slightly longer wheelbase. Could even be a Plus 8 with the V8 engine I guess, I don't think anyone can tell, no need to be specific anyway. We've always called it a Rover V8 engine in the UK but thanks to Wiki I see they bought it off Buick in 1967!

3 minutes ago, Avpics said:

Registration plate, license plate

Yes, if you had the registration number on another shot you could go to a car spares website (in the UK anyhow) and it would tell you what car it was, usually pretty accurate.

39 minutes ago, Harry Harrison said:

We've always called it a Rover V8 engine in the UK but thanks to Wiki I see they bought it off Buick in 1967!

Best car I ever owned was a Rover V8.

Alan

7 hours ago, Avpics said:

Didn't get that.  This was taken years ago at a Virginia, US, Scottish heritage festival. .  I've been redoing my Lightroom Catalogue and making sure all my Alamy portfolio shots are tagged, and submitting things I hadn't submitted before (pretty got them all over the last week out of 12K plus  total photographs from my first digital camera in Philadelphia on).

I've keyworded it as Morgan.  The other Morgan in my port had a sign in the windscreen/windshield saying what year it was.

7 hours ago, Avpics said:

Virginia, US, so if it was older than some number of years, it would have classic plates, otherwise issued by the Department of Motor Vehicles and not, as far as I know, informative about the type of car.

12 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

I know someone who owns two Morgans (why he wants two, I have no idea). I was amazed to learn that they both have Buick V8 engines.

Not so "British" after all...

Rover bought the engine and tooling from GM in the mid-60s, after which it was a British product.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rover_V8_engine

On 03/03/2019 at 00:52, DDoug said:

Rover bought the engine and tooling from GM in the mid-60s, after which it was a British product.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rover_V8_engine

Thanks for the link. I see this engine was also used in some MGB's and Triumphs back when gas was cheap and no one cared about air pollution.

2 hours ago, Rob C said:

I had a Rover P5B with the 3.5 litre Rover V8. Such a fabulous engine on a wonderful car.

The P6 was even better. The trouble with the P5 was that it was rather heavy. The P6 was lighter and beautifully balanced, so with the V8 it was a sheer joy to drive.

Alan

Another British muscle car from the mid-60s was the Sunbeam Tiger, basically an Alpine with a Ford V8. A real screamer I've been told. Back then the father of a good friend of mine was diagnosed with terminal cancer and right away went out and bought a Tiger. Wanted to really enjoy what time he had left.

About MizBrown's initial question, there is a British flag insignia on the cowl just in front of the driver. This, for someone who knows Morgans, might be a clue as to the model. I think the +4 had a flag there,  but whether that's significant I don't know.

Archived