Has there been a change to Live News Images?

I think it used to be the case that, unless you added tags and/or optional information, Live News images didn’t automatically go ‘orange’ ie on sale. However, for a while now that isn’t happening, and they appear to be on sale as soon as the two days on Live News is over. Has there been a change in the system?

1 hour ago, Sally said:

I think it used to be the case that, unless you added tags and/or optional information, Live News images didn’t automatically go ‘orange’ ie on sale. However, for a while now that isn’t happening, and they appear to be on sale as soon as the two days on Live News is over. Has there been a change in the system?

The way I have found it since I started in June was live news images were accepted fast but did not go on sale until I added tags (or learned to add them at the metadata stage) - I had to add the 5 keywords before they would go on sale as live news

Must admit I've never noticed any change, as I usually prepare in advance all the metadata in Photo Mechanic IPTC stationary pad in advance of shooting. Sometimes I have to make minor changes or additions, but the IPTC metadata is always suitable for Live News or later Stock.

Mine are going orange without tags added or any other intervention as soon as they go into stock. I don’t necessarily want all live news images to go into stock and also don’t want to have to wait 6 months for any to be deleted. It used to be that they could be deleted within 24 hours, if not tagged.

53 minutes ago, Sally said:

Mine are going orange without tags added or any other intervention as soon as they go into stock. I don’t necessarily want all live news images to go into stock and also don’t want to have to wait 6 months for any to be deleted. It used to be that they could be deleted within 24 hours, if not tagged.

Same here and it's a right royal pain in the arse.  I don't know why it was changed - wish it would change back.

17 minutes ago, Colblimp said:

Same here and it's a right royal pain in the arse.  I don't know why it was changed - wish it would change back.

I have emailed Alamy to ask why this is happening. Will let you know the response.

I'd assume it happened at the time that they pre-populated the editorial only box in AIM. With the caption searchable and that selected option overriding the need for people and property releases then any News image becomes complete for stock as far as Alamy are concerned.

I'm fairly sure it's been working this way for quite a long time...  in fact, I seem to remember this being discussed in a previous thread on the forum when it was first noticed.. I just can't find the thread!

EDIT: Found the thread from February 2018: https://discussion.alamy.com/topic/9213-news-images/

It would be nice if Alamy let us know about fairly significant changes like this. The email I have received confirms that they go on sale immediately, even without any tags, which means presumably that you have to delete them while they are still in live news if you don’t want them to go into stock.

1 hour ago, Sally said:

It would be nice if Alamy let us know about fairly significant changes like this. The email I have received confirms that they go on sale immediately, even without any tags, which means presumably that you have to delete them while they are still in live news if you don’t want them to go into stock.

Mine are definitely not going on sale without tags - because in a hurry I have forgotten to enter keywords into that field (I use photo mechanic) then when I have checked a couple of hours later I have found a bunch of images "not on sale" with a red bar, until I have added the tags

4 minutes ago, Starsphinx said:

..... found a bunch of images "not on sale" with a red bar, until I have added the tags

After the three days? I've a number of images from Saturday which would go into stock tomorrow. I'll see what happens

2 minutes ago, Avpics said:

After the three days? I've a number of images from Saturday which would go into stock tomorrow. I'll see what happens

As far as I can tell they were not even going on sale as live news until i tagged them

4 minutes ago, Starsphinx said:

As far as I can tell they were not even going on sale as live news until i tagged them

They don't show as on sale when they're in live news. If they show up in the Live News Feed then they're available to news outlets

Just now, Avpics said:

They don't show as on sale when they're in live news. If they show up in the Live News Feed then they're available to news outlets

Ah right next time I provide anything newsy I will try and check this out

30 minutes ago, Starsphinx said:

Mine are definitely not going on sale without tags - because in a hurry I have forgotten to enter keywords into that field (I use photo mechanic) then when I have checked a couple of hours later I have found a bunch of images "not on sale" with a red bar, until I have added the tags

Are you sure these are Live News images? They will still be showing as red during the Live News period. It's after that - they are going into stock automatically.

25 minutes ago, Sally said:

Are you sure these are Live News images? They will still be showing as red during the Live News period. It's after that - they are going into stock automatically.

I have always gone and tagged them as soon as I noticed they are red - they are certainly uploaded as live news in the correct format and everything

Archived