Alamy images used in Facebook group with watermark

I found someone had posted a selection of news images of mine in a Facebook group without permission as they all have the watermark showing. I have commented regarding copyright but had no response.

is it worth me persuing it? 

On 10/10/2018 at 10:33, spacecadet said:

If they're in the UK, yes, IPEC.

Otherwise FB will remove them if you make a copyright claim. I can't help with the details.

I have challenged the poster, who to be fair, responded asking if I want her to take them down. I noticed another member of the site posted this in response

Those pictures are within the public domain and i'm closely connected to Mammoth Screen who are making this production.You can post them where you like

5 minutes ago, Marb said:

Those pictures are within the public domain and i'm closely connected to Mammoth Screen who are making this production.You can post them where you like

They are mistaken, of course. But then anyone who takes legal advice from an anonymous FB post is going to find it rather expensive.

"Public domain" is a meaningless term outside the US. That someone in  the TV business is so misinformed is rather alarming. But it's probably no different from the PA who tells you you can't take pictures in the street- those with no power exercise it ruthlessly and ignorantly. MS may own the rights to the show but they don't own your images.

You can post this in reply if you like, or link to the post and I'll do it.

4 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

They are mistaken, of course. But then anyone who takes legal advice from an anonymous FB post is going to find it rather expensive.

"Public domain" is a meaningless term outside the US. That someone in  the TV business is so misinformed is rather alarming. But it's probably no different from the PA who tells you you can't take pictures in the street- those with no power exercise it ruthlessly and ignorantly. MS may own the rights to the show but they don't own your images.

Thanks. I may do that.

On 10/12/2018 at 17:26, spacecadet said:

They haven't responded to my last post and the image is still on the FB site. Nothing more I can do really 

6 minutes ago, Marb said:

They haven't responded to my last post and the image is still on the FB site. Nothing more I can do really 

Report it to Facebook. Pinterest and Google will take down things pronto if there are copyright issues at stake.

3 minutes ago, Sally said:

Report it to Facebook. Pinterest and Google will take down things pronto if there are copyright issues at stake.

When I opt to report to Facebook I see only options unrelated to copyright available (nudity/terrorism etc)

1 minute ago, Marb said:

When I opt to report to Facebook I see only options unrelated to copyright available (nudity/terrorism etc)

Sorry I don’t use FB so cannot advise how this might be done, but surely there must be a mechanism for it.

I took out a copyright infringement as they failed to remove it and it was down the next day. Felt a bit mean to be honest but I suppose if we let everything go like that we would be in the poor house. Thanks everyone for your help.

1 hour ago, Marb said:

I took out a copyright infringement as they failed to remove it and it was down the next day. Felt a bit mean to be honest but I suppose if we let everything go like that we would be in the poor house. Thanks everyone for your help.

I had a photo of flooding that was used in a national newspaper. A councillor decided to lift it and use it on Facebook to advertise a meeting that he was organising. He didn't bother to ask me about using it so I pointed out to him that he was infringing my copyright and he took the image down. Had he asked I might well have given him permission to use it. I got a lot of flack from a couple of locals for being so mean ….  but it's got to be done!

Archived