Purple Fringing

I’m experiencing some particularly bad purple/blue fringing with some images, mainly green foliage against sky areas. Have tried DPP and LR6. When I use the Fringe Colour Selector tool in LR and click on the fringe it removes it but replaces it with a very much larger light yellow fringe. I assume it’s probably meant to be grey, but I think it’s my monitor. It’s similar in effect to colour blurring fringes out. I click on this and it reduces in size with a little tweaking but doesn’t disappear completely. I am a relative newcomer to LR, am I doing something wrong? Gear used 5D Mk2, 24-105 f4 IS (older version). Monitor is Dell Ultra HD 27”. Apologies if this has been asked before but I  couldn’t find this specific problem on the forum. Thanks in advance for any replies.    

Not sure how helpful this might be to you, but I too have been having fringing issues - not using the same gear as you, but fringing is fringing!

And when the CA correction fails to work sufficiently, this method works well.

Anyway, it's an old Photoshop trick so I've learned, and it works well for me....I don't use Lightroom, so again not sure how useful it is to your workflow.

1 duplicate layer

2 apply Gaussian blur at 15 pixels to copied layer

3 set layer mode to 'colour'

4 apply layer mask to bring back colour detail where needed from layer below

I'm sure there are quicker ways, but this method saved me where all else failed, though as spacecadet says, if it's too bad, it's probably not worth saving!

10 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

Try CA correction in LR. Lens corrections>colour> remove CA. It does quite a good job. I usually bin images that need fringe removal- it's too crude.

I now have CA removal in my import preset.

CA removal works very well on the usual red/green CA that affects DarkSlide's gear quite badly especially at short focal lengths (I have exactly the same equipment). But it doesn't get rid of purple fringing against sky. For this I first the tick the CA Removal box and then change from Profile to Manual. Turning up the Amount slider for Purple Hue to about 3 or 4 removes it completely.

Alan

4 minutes ago, Inchiquin said:

CA removal works very well on the usual red/green CA that affects DarkSlide's gear quite badly especially at short focal lengths (I have exactly the same equipment). But it doesn't get rid of purple fringing against sky. For this I first the tick the CA Removal box and then change from Profile to Manual. Turning up the Amount slider for Purple Hue to about 3 or 4 removes it completely.

Alan

I didn't know defringe also worked like that, without using the dropper. Thanks for the tip.

A method I use in Photoshop is:

Layer

New adjustment Layer

Hue/Saturation

In the properties popup box select 'master'

Then red or magenta (whatever colour you want to remove)

Then use the eyedropper to select the fringing

Then use saturation to reduce the colour to grey

Sounds complicated but it's really simple.

If the fringing is large you will be left with a grey fringe, which sometimes doesn't look too good, but for most CA it's fine.

John.

I have been ticking the Chromatic Aberration removal box and this removes the normal red/green. It's the purple and blue I have the trouble with. Interesting to note that some members simply bin the images. Thanks to all for the replies up to now. D.

If I can’t do a decent job on it with above methods, I try to crop it out. Many times with leaves up high in the image, cropping is doable. Sometimes, not.  I use the sponge tool with a small circle to remove bits and pieces of it. 

Betty

• 2 weeks later...

Archived