Each photo has more or less noise. It is not always easy to define the subjective boundary between acceptable and too tight noise.
How do you do that?
Are there any tools (except looking closely) to quantify noise?
With LR or some other software maybe?

57 minutes ago, spiegel said:

Each photo has more or less noise. It is not always easy to define the subjective boundary between acceptable and too tight noise.
How do you do that?

Experience - you'll need to find the acceptable level by experience. Be your own critical but reasonable judge.

Alamy accepts noise to a certain level - especially on images where you most certainly will find some. The Alamy requirements helps a little - but not much - as you examine your images at 100% size. 

https://www.alamy.com/contributor/how-to-sell-images/alamy-quality-control/?section=5

Sometimes partial noise reduction and reduction of image size (if possible) will help a lot.

In my opinion  the accepted level may easily depend on the image type. If it is a great night photo there is a tendency to accept a little more noise in the corners than if it ought to be a well lit image at daylight.

Niels

Some grain noise is acceptable at times, but Alamy will always fail for colour noise.

There are noise reduction choices in Lightroom.  I tend to bin any noisy images unless the noise is minimal and using noise reduction doesn't affect the sharpness of the image.  I rarely shoot in situations where I will need a high ISO which of course will give me noise.

Jill

It is worth remembering also that live news images will accept noise where it is inevitable - I uploaded several last night of an injured paraglider being winched up a steep hill by rescue services - pictures were noisy, to say the least (it was twilight)  but they were passed.

7 minutes ago, Starsphinx said:

It is worth remembering also that live news images will accept noise where it is inevitable - I uploaded several last night of an injured paraglider being winched up a steep hill by rescue services - pictures were noisy, to say the least (it was twilight)  but they were passed.

Live News bypasses QC.  If Alamy decides the images are not newsworthy (your's obviously were) then they move them to regular stock upload and then they will go through QC.

Jill

20 minutes ago, Starsphinx said:

Great set of pics.

Most noise happens in the underexposed area of you photos, so a underexposed photo shot at 400 ISO will contain more noise than a properly exposed photo at 800 ISO.

18 hours ago, spiegel said:

How do you do that?

If you don't have a problem, you don't need a solution. So if you can't see noise at 100%, don't worry about it. 

There are noise reduction tools in both LR and PS. I don't have a need for anything more, but then I rarely shoot above 800 ISO . . . 1600 ISO on rare occasions. The LR tool is one of the sliders. In PS you'll find it in the Filters menu. 

Thank you all very much for your answers.

So it seems, there ist nothing to measure noise, I thought so

3 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

So if you can't see noise at 100%, don't worry about it. 

You should worry, if you cannot see noise.

There is always noise, even when using ISO 100 with 35 mm sensor. 

My question was about quantification. 

Archived