Jill, if it's mainly about a wildlife watching experience, here's what you also can do.

Forests are bristling with exciting animals ........ at night. Go in a forest alone (two is already a crowd when watching wildlife) on a full moon armed with just a torch (preferably fitted with a red light filter). Find a nice spot where you can sit comfortably, turn out the light........ and listen. Amazing what sounds you hear and how much better your senses work compared to daytime. If you hear noise like rustling leaves closeby, turn on your torch and investigate. You may expect everything from large beetles, different species of mice, shrews, hedgehogs, salamanders, frogs, ..... Look a few meters ahead for little shiny "diamonds". Those are the reflecting eyes of spiders. You hear an owl, suck the back of your hand so you produce a high pitch tone like a little rodent screaming. That noise carries far and is easily picked up by the perfect hearing of owls. When you hear the owl again ...... it'll be much closer this time. Now, pick a stick and gently rustle the dead leaves on the ground. With a little luck, you see the owl's silhouette soaring silently overhead and landing in a tree nearby to investigate. I always do this trick when lying in my sleeping bag while bivouacking. Works every time :)

Amazing how quickly "scary" sounds arouse curiosity instead of fear ^_^

OK, the above is what I do in European forests where the most feared animal is the ....... 2 mm large tick. No cougars nor grizzlies in my neck of the woods. So, it's up to you if it's safe to practice.

A little warning: best not watch "The Texas Chainsaw Massacre" the day before ;)

Happy exploring,

Philippe

FF04EX.jpg FF05AT.jpg BEK61T.jpg

CBXFN5.jpg BEK5W6.jpg BEMFPR.jpg

No grizzlies, but black bears. They do tend to avoid humans when possible.

For the bush on my property, I have a limited short time before the cattle are out (1st of June) and it won't be long before the mosquitoes are unbearable in the bush. They have already started to show themselves, mostly due to a very wet spring, so lots of still water around.

But I will work towards the fall when the mozzies are gone. Cattle will still be around, but during the day in the fall they tend to be up by the barns, and go down to the bush at night. We have a cow pond down there so I am sure lots of deer go there to drink.

It's on my list and I do intend to get one of those camo capes.

Jill

I wouldn't use a camo cape, I strongly believe camouflage netting is a lot more versatile and effective (no straight edges which look unnatural in nature). The net can also be used to lay over your hide, improving its concealment, especially when you stick ferns and branches into it.

Below is a picture of expensive blinds which you can buy in hunting stores. As you notice, they are too big and too easily noticeable with all those straight lines.

two-wildlife-photographers-hides-near-le

Now, this one is MUCH more effective, doesn't take that much more time to set up and is a fraction of the costs of the ones above ...... and doesn't draw the attention of passers-by. Nothing more frustrating than the flap of your tent suddenly opening and a head pocking in shouting "HOW DO YOU DO? ANY LUCK YET?" :wacko:  

Cheers,

Philippe

photo-hide-germany-north-rhine-westphali

One deer to another. "When did that hill arrive?" :P

Allan

That's quite the hide.  Don't know if I'm that ambitious.  I'd probably build it, and then when I put the cows out, they would probably knock it all down.

Mesh still looks like the best option.

Jill

That's quite the hide.  Don't know if I'm that ambitious.  I'd probably build it, and then when I put the cows out, they would probably knock it all down.

Mesh still looks like the best option.

Jill

You could always build a hide that looks like a cow.  Just don't ask where the lens would peek out from.   :)

Wildlife photography is in many ways very similar to hunting with regards of the desire to be close enough to the wildlife for a shot.  

In Texas hunting is big, big business. Especially deer hunting.  Much of Texas deer hunting is done from blinds/hides.  There are many Texas businesses that build deer blinds of all sizes and shapes. Most are square/rectangular. Some blinds are simple and some elaborate.  Many set on the ground and many are elevated a number of feet above ground on steel legs for greater range of visibility.  They're usually painted green or camo and have doors, windows, access ladders, etc. that can hold from 1-2 or up to several hunters.

The point of this is that deer and most other wildlife do not seem to mind the shape or size of the blind/hide - especially after its been in place for some time.  

What really alarms wildlife is the human body.  Wildlife is instinctively programmed to be alarmed by the human form. Human movement also will setoff alarms - especially quick movements.  Their instincts, hearing, and vision is usually many times more sensitive than ours.  Scent is also a big factor. Adept hunters and wildlife photographers will try to be downwind of their quarry. 

So - for wildlife photography what is most important is concealing our bodies and movement from the view of wildlife. The shape of the concealment used isn't terribly important or the many Texas hunting blind/hide manufacturers would have changed their boxy designs decades ago.  A camo net thrown over us, or staked in the ground in front of us to hide behind, cheap pop-up/folding blinds/hides will all work to block the view of our human form and movement from wildlife.  A car is even a good mobile wildlife blind/hide thats used by many wildlife and bird photographers. But step outside the vehicle and the local critters and birds will be quickly alerted to your presence.

Wildlife photography is in many ways very similar to hunting with regards of the desire to be close enough to the wildlife for a shot.  

In Texas hunting is big, big business. Especially deer hunting.  Much of Texas deer hunting is done from blinds/hides.  There are many Texas businesses that build deer blinds of all sizes and shapes. Most are square/rectangular. Some blinds are simple and some elaborate.  Many set on the ground and many are elevated a number of feet above ground on steel legs for greater range of visibility.  They're usually painted green or camo and have doors, windows, access ladders, etc. that can hold from 1-2 or up to several hunters.

The point of this is that deer and most other wildlife do not seem to mind the shape or size of the blind/hide - especially after its been in place for some time.  

What really alarms wildlife is the human body.  Wildlife is instinctively programmed to be alarmed by the human form. Human movement also will setoff alarms - especially quick movements.  Their instincts, hearing, and vision is usually many times more sensitive than ours.  Scent is also a big factor. Adept hunters and wildlife photographers will try to be downwind of their quarry. 

So - for wildlife photography what is most important is concealing our bodies and movement from the view of wildlife. The shape of the concealment used isn't terribly important or the many Texas hunting blind/hide manufacturers would have changed their boxy designs decades ago.  A camo net thrown over us, or staked in the ground in front of us to hide behind, cheap pop-up/folding blinds/hides will all work to block the view of our human form and movement from wildlife.  A car is even a good mobile wildlife blind/hide thats used by many wildlife and bird photographers. But step outside the vehicle and the local critters and birds will be quickly alerted to your presence.

Well-said. I've shot many birds from the window of my car. A perfect blind, and climate controlled! ;) It doesn't seem to alarm them.

Betty

Archived