Recommended Posts

Seemed to have got myself into the habit of ignoring the Optional extras, categories locations etc. How much of a bad habit is this? Do these options really make a difference im wondering. Should i break the habit before my portfolio gets bigger? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Just for information I always fill in the optionals because it must be there for a reason.

 

Allan

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can't say if they make any difference now but they may in the future, and as the current image manager makes it really difficult to find and edit previous submissions I'd rather do it as I go.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

 

Just for information I always fill in the optionals because it must be there for a reason.

 

Allan

 

 

Seems to be a lot of extra ( well a bit ) work if it doesn’t make a difference eh...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That’s a good point Joe, don’t want to add 1000’s to realise it’s become a vital part. Was just wandering if by adding categories your photos get a higher viewing rate etc...i was thinking probably not but like you say things can change so i’ve started addressing the situation in a backward way, least i’ve only 200 to catchup on ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Alamy always has a plan. We aren’t privy to the plans. Until I know something for sure, I prefer to cover my a**.

I've been in the spot where I had to go back and change things up to a few thousand. Uh-uh, never again.  The new AIM caused all the tags on my old images to be scrambled. It took me months to go through them all and de-scramble them. Not my fault. So I’m not going to mess up my end of things, for sure.

Besides the fact that if you have 40 good, relevant tags, if you fill out the Optional, it will send your image into the green.  

Whatever that’s worth. :P

Betty

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I supply as much of the optional stuff as I can, especially the info about no. of people, property, and releases. It only takes a few secs...

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oddly enough I had an email from Alamy today saying they'd flagged four of my images as "containing property" because I hadn't done it. Not clear why they picked those four as I have hundreds unflagged. It seems otiose for RM.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

Oddly enough I had an email from Alamy today saying they'd flagged four of my images as "containing property" because I hadn't done it. Not clear why they picked those four as I have hundreds unflagged. It seems otiose for RM.

Why do they keep sending out these silly random emails? They made that info 'optional'. The default is "Property Release: No", even if you don't need one. Why send the emails? It's like the emails I've had:

1. For not having my people numbered properly, though I had done it strictly according to Alamy's instructions.

2. For disallowed info in a caption - the file they referenced wasn't even mine.

3. Recently: for not having 'managed' 17 files, when 15 had only just been accepted the previous day. I managed the night they were accepted, but the email came in the next morning.

:unsure:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

Oddly enough I had an email from Alamy today saying they'd flagged four of my images as "containing property" because I hadn't done it. Not clear why they picked those four as I have hundreds unflagged. It seems otiose for RM.

 

I've had that happen as well. As I rework the tags in my older images, I'm discovering that I often didn't check the contains property box because at the time I didn't know what "property" meant. Actually, I'm still not sure what it means. I now check the property box if there is anything man-made in the image or if it was taken on private property. I had to Google "otiose". Should be a check box for that one. :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Betty LaRue said:

Alamy always has a plan. We aren’t privy to the plans. Until I know something for sure, I prefer to cover my a**.

I've been in the spot where I had to go back and change things up to a few thousand. Uh-uh, never again.  The new AIM caused all the tags on my old images to be scrambled. It took me months to go through them all and de-scramble them. Not my fault. So I’m not going to mess up my end of things, for sure.

Besides the fact that if you have 40 good, relevant tags, if you fill out the Optional, it will send your image into the green.  

Whatever that’s worth. :P

Betty

Keeping asses covered always very sensible 😂

 

That sounds an absolute mare, think i’d rather poke my eyes out than unscarmble 1000’s of tags...but with that in mind i think its best doing things properly from the start in case like you say Alamy have a plan. 

 

And your right, finally achieved my 1st Green...was proud as punch 🤪

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, John Mitchell said:

I supply as much of the optional stuff as I can, especially the info about no. of people, property, and releases. It only takes a few secs...

 

True John, i did intitially but stopped for some random reason, lazy or maybe just a little drained of the whole Captioning n Tagging...it does takes time when your having to research latin butterfly names and remember what country you were in 😂...but your right the Options are easy enough 👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Jay D said:

That sounds an absolute mare, think i’d rather poke my eyes out than unscarmble 1000’s of tags...but with that in mind i think its best doing things properly from the start in case like you say Alamy have a plan.

Bear in mind that Betty probably had done her keywording according to the original requirements. I, too, ended up having to wade through thousands of images too find the hundreds whose keywords had got mangled somewhere in the transistion to the new system (mainly keywords being joined wrongly, or keyword phrases being split).

Also be aware that sometimes things are recommended by Alamy but don't come to anything (like the old way they recommended for keeping keyword phrases together - it was never fully implemented.

AFAIK, nothing is being done with categories at present, but maybe one day something will be done with them.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I actually had keywords like Caucasian look like this: 

Cauc

asian

or “three people” turn into “three pe”

“ople”

So I’d have two to delete, and then have to add the phrase again. Sometimes two to four of these scrambles in the same set of tags.  I really thought I’d lose my mind, and had some anger management issues!

But I plodded away, almost every single evening. Sat on the couch, iPad on my lap, television on, and unscrambled. I could manage 12-20 (sometimes 30) images before needing to vent a scream and quit for the night.

I thought a few times of finding an edge of a tall bridge to teeter on while staring at the rushing water below.  Yet I survived. :lol: 

This said tongue in cheek.

 Or did I really consider it? :unsure:

Betty

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

I actually had keywords like Caucasian look like this: 

Cauc

asian

or “three people” turn into “three pe”

“ople”

So I’d have two to delete, and then have to add the phrase again. Sometimes two to four of these scrambles in the same set of tags.  I really thought I’d lose my mind, and had some anger management issues!

But I plodded away, almost every single evening. Sat on the couch, iPad on my lap, television on, and unscrambled. I could manage 12-20 (sometimes 30) images before needing to vent a scream and quit for the night.

I thought a few times of finding an edge of a tall bridge to teeter on while staring at the rushing water below.  Yet I survived. :lol: 

This said tongue in cheek.

 Or did I really consider it? :unsure:

Betty

....and you did it on an ipad....omg. Well done for getting through that especially when it wasn’t your fault 👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now