Fike naming

Sorry for a stupid question from a newcomer keen to get started.

In  Alamy terms what is an alphanumeric file name? 

Depending on which of two cameras I use my file names are similar to   _DJ7-UK.jpg  do I have to drop the underscore and hyphen? I have many files and do not wish to confuse myself/system up too much.

Thank you for looking.

Thanks for replying. (just noticed my spelling mistake on posting, surprised anyone bothered reading the post)

We couldn't wait to see what "fike naming" was all about!  Perhaps there's a lesson here if you want to get people's attention.

Chris

Thanks for replying. (just noticed my spelling mistake on posting, surprised anyone bothered reading the post)

We couldn't wait to see what "fike naming" was all about!  Perhaps there's a lesson here if you want to get people's attention.

Chris

Actually, I thought it should have been "fake" naming.    :)

Chris

Actually, I thought it should have been "fake" naming.    :)

I thought it was one of those many odd British accents. It's tough to keep up with them on Alamy sometimes.

But seriously, though--are your file names the ones that the camera automatically applies?  Many people rename their files for various purposes, and all sorts of naming schemes exist.

One reason for using even a simple renaming scheme, like your name and an incrementing number, is that sometimes cameras will start a numbering sequence anew and you could wind up with duplicate file names. Most major programs, like Lightroom, have renaming functions.

If you save a raw file and another format or two for the same image, you'll want all of the versions of an image to have the same file name (with different extensions), so just rename the raw files first, then export from them.

But seriously, though--are your file names the ones that the camera automatically applies?  Many people rename their files for various purposes, and all sorts of naming schemes exist.

One reason for using even a simple renaming scheme, like your name and an incrementing number, is that sometimes cameras will start a numbering sequence anew and you could wind up with duplicate file names. Most major programs, like Lightroom, have renaming functions.

If you save a raw file and another format or two for the same image, you'll want all of the versions of an image to have the same file name (with different extensions), so just rename the raw files first, then export from them.

I generally rename mine using location-year-month-image number (e.g. Vancouver1309001) and keep the same ID for all file types.

Firstly, rest assured I will not be bothering you with any further questions. (Just note that the first person actually answered the query without commenting on a spelling mistake which I pointed out myself).

I quoted only a simple version of my file naming which in practice cannot get confused by camera naming.

Any file I process and decide to keep in a final folder (I use Nikon Capture NX2 and Photo Mechanic) has been renamed in sequence from square one ie from 00001, the camera numbers are irrelevant and any image without my own numbering is deleted or in a work to folder.

My question arose simply because my convention is to have an underscore as first character for my D700 files and no underscore for my D200 files.

Hope that there are no typos in this reply (not sure how to spell that either)

No offence, Splitpin. People here would make the typing error deliberately just to make the forum posts run wildly.

The forum is a great place to get help. But rest assured that you often will get a lot more and quite different help and comments than you asked for and the thread will continue a lot longer than you originally thought it would  :)

BTW i think you can still correct an error in the title later on .....

"BTW i think you can still correct an error in the title later on ....."

I'm not sure that you can edit titles of threads that you start yourself. I've tried to modify titles in the past (everyone makes mistakes) and haven't been able to. Has anyone figured out how to do it?

I can't zoom on them either, Ed. Mine seem to be OK. Have they been recently added? I haven't had forum troubles. I usually just stay logged in so don't know what would happen if I logged out.

Paulette

Everything is working fine on my vintage, steam-powered PC.

Had some problems last night when searching for images and I have had the same difficulty in the past.

When trying to identify the shooter for a particular photo you occasionally see the same model used in a different context, with an indication there are more similar images by the same shooter. Clicking on the number of images link should show that person's relevant collection, but last night it just flicked back to the start of the search.

Further, the new page command was not working properly, only the turn page button at the top of the screen was working, that at the bottom would not function. As I say I've had these problems in the past and reported them to member services, but they could not replicate the fault.

It's just an inconvenience for me but, if customers are having the same problems, it could mean lost sales.

Archived