Images slow to appear in AIM?

For the past two days I've found it's been taking 12-15 hours for my uploads to the stock category to appear in Alamy Image Manager (as pending QC, obviously). Alamy actually said they can't see the uploads at all on their servers until they finally appeared, which is odd. Is this happening to anyone else?

2 minutes ago, LawrensonPhoto said:

FTP? resent the same batch twice, still not showing, never happened to me before, so I uploaded via AIM, and it went through but still says Processing...

Yeah, FTP. They must be having issues, then...

Had an update from Alamy, and apparently there's a bit of a backlog on one of the servers, so there's a processing delay and it should all catch up eventually.

I have tried to upload today and it is stuck after 4 images. The old web upload had a pause button and sometimes if you paused it would start up again. Are there any tricks now? We have a holiday on Monday here in the US of A. In the UK too?

Paulette

On 25/05/2018 at 20:08, Sally said:

Not here, North of the Border, though the difference between Scottish and English holidays is fast disappearing.

It's a Bank Holiday on Monday over most of west-central Scotland at least, and for as long as I can remember it's been a Friday-Monday school holiday, meaning a lot of parents take the long weekend off work.

Edinburgh however has Victoria Day, the previous Monday to everywhere else. I remember when I was a student in Edinburgh, most of the shops were also closed that day, and it was said that Glasgow and Edinburgh had different holidays so people could shop in the other city.

9 hours ago, Cryptoprocta said:

It's a Bank Holiday on Monday over most of west-central Scotland at least, and for as long as I can remember it's been a Friday-Monday school holiday, meaning a lot of parents take the long weekend off work.

Edinburgh however has Victoria Day, the previous Monday to everywhere else. I remember when I was a student in Edinburgh, most of the shops were also closed that day, and it was said that Glasgow and Edinburgh had different holidays so people could shop in the other city.

Aye, the holidays across Scotland are ridiculously complicated. When I worked in Fife, the holidays were different to Edinburgh. They are different yet again further North. You only have to look at the list in Wikipedia to see how complicated it is.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_and_bank_holidays_in_Scotland

6 hours ago, geogphotos said:

Isn't that down to the factories having holidays at different times in the past?

And for tattie picking, or whatever the local agricultural needs were.

On 25/05/2018 at 15:22, Katie said:

Had an update from Alamy, and apparently there's a bit of a backlog on one of the servers, so there's a processing delay and it should all catch up eventually.

It must be a big back log. Nothing I have uploaded since Friday is showing in AIM. A bit annoying as I’d like to be able to set tags while they are in QC.

I had problems with my upload and did them finally in two batches with several images having an upload error. The ones that went through do show as being in QC but I don't see that I can set tags at this point. How do you do that? It seems to me I have to wait until they pass.

Paulette

Same here, but it is occurring randomly to me. Yesterday I uploaded four submissions, three went like a charm, the second one got stuck for no apparent reason (it's a pity, since they are news pictures, thaus I am a bit in a hurry to get them available to newspapers as quick as possible). Today I re-sent exactly the same photos and it is happening again, they never pass the "processing" stage, while a second set of different pictures went under QC in minutes; very strange indeed.

That's really bad, if it's affecting news pictures. Stock images can wait, but I would expect live news issues to be dealt with straight away... It doesn't fill me with confidence, as a newcomer!

1 hour ago, NYCat said:

I had problems with my upload and did them finally in two batches with several images having an upload error. The ones that went through do show as being in QC but I don't see that I can set tags at this point. How do you do that? It seems to me I have to wait until they pass.

Paulette

You can do it if you use Alamy Lightroom Bridge. As soon as images pass QC, they are on sale. Indeed, you can set all of the other Alamy optional data apart from location, too.

Ahhhh. Thank you. One day I should try it. I always cringe when I think of learning something new. What does the keywording look like in that program? I'm not fond of the white on black text in Lightroom and the Image Manager here with the little boxes drives me crazy.

Paulette

15 minutes ago, NYCat said:

Ahhhh. Thank you. One day I should try it. I always cringe when I think of learning something new. What does the keywording look like in that program? I'm not fond of the white on black text in Lightroom and the Image Manager here with the little boxes drives me crazy.

Paulette

Keywording is done in Lightroom. Alamy Lightroom Bridge is a programme that simply provides a link between Alamy and Lightroom. So you can ‘fetch’ all the data from Alamy into Lightroom, and ‘set’ data from Lightroom.  I have created my own heirarchy of categories and words in Lightroom by ‘fetching’ all of my Alamy tags, but of course keep having to add to it. It is a bit complicated to get your head around, and there have had to be some tweaks by the developer, but they respond quickly. It’s a good way to see which images are missing bits of information.

Thanks for the explanation. My keyword hierarchies in Lightroom are only partially helpful at this point as I wasn't keeping up my list. More work to do.

Paulette

From my smartphone all images I submitted this weekend are reported in QC. Perhaps, the "processing status" is a just problem related to Alamy's dashboard on desktops. Furthermore, I guess Bank holiday in the UK could explain why the pictures I submitted Friday evening are still in QC, after 72 hours...

Yet, I'd like Alamy to be a bit more internationally-oriented and competitive. Weekends' QC are sooo damn slow, and getting stuck on every British holiday is a bit annoying; outsourcing QC outside Europe could be a solution, maybe.

As an example. today morning I've got a request from Vietnam for some pictures I made this Friday at the Venice Biennale; I'd like to reply them "hey, could you wait until Alamy has reviewed my pictures, and then made them available to customers like you, please?" (as I always did in the past, every time missing my potential sale...).
This time, I can't honestly do that again. To be on Alamy is a great commodity; yet, I'm forced to sell my photos directly, in this case.

I couldn't post them through a News submission, because they've exceeded the 24-hour limit (which is too strict, in my opinion).
About selling my pictures directly, I'm running an architectural agency; I'm also directing a (quite renowned) digital magazine for which I write about 700 articles a year; therefore, believe me, selling my photos on Alamy really saves me a lot of time.
I sign all my pictures as "Available only on Alamy", and I committed myself to always respect such obligation. At least, as long as Alamy respects my commitment, and it is as quick as possible in making my pictures available to customers. Honestly speaking,  this was not the case, this week.

48 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

I am not really sure what the problem is, perhaps you could discuss these issues with Alamy. There is nothing much anybody can do on the forum to help you. 

So, if I got your thought right, the solution you advocate in this forum is that it is much better to sell pictures on your own and leave Alamy as a sort of passback strategy when nobody buys them directly? That could make sense, really. Yet, I guess it wouldn't help much those complaining about Alamy's slow revision process, too. ;)

1 hour ago, geogphotos said:

If you have News images then they need to be uploaded within 24 hours. You took longer than that so perhaps it is your slow 'revision process' that was at fault.

Not really, I am very quick in revising my photos, it takes about a couple minutes each. But, as usual, I was invited at a two-days private press preview by the Venice Biennale (that's why I have those particular photos), so I couldn't get back to my office before two full days, and AFAIK two days are longer than 24 hours: therefore, it was pretty impossible to me to send such images as News, and this did not depend from my supposed "lazyness" in revising them at all, as you kindly insinuate.

Yet, no problem at all; i've just sold ten of those photos to the client directly. Of course I won't make them as "Available only on Alamy", since I am not a liar.

PS. My international agency, as you call it, is an architectural one; I'm not a full-time photographer, as I guess many others here on the Alamy forum. That's why, as I already said, I use Alamy: it saves me time, and it provides me a good visibility, as well as other services at a very reasonable cost.

Furthermore, I don't think to give my honest opinion ("I guess Alamy could provide a better service and increase its (and ours) revenues by renting someone outside UK to do the QC process in the weekends or UK holidays") is "complaining about Alamy" as you are saying. Maybe, YOU are complaining about it by suggesting that it would be better for people to sell their photos directly and not through Alamy (something I don't agree with at all; as I said, I deem that of Alamy a very valuable service).

Archived