Hello from New Brunswick

Carol Behan

Hi, I'm in New Brunswick, Canada, and hope to be able to provide images of the region here, which includes the lovely Bay of Fundy.  I've also just been to Cuba, and got lots of really interesting subject matter there.  I hope someday that some of my images will sell...any constructive criticism will be very welcome.  Thanks!

Welcome and good luck. You've got some very nice images.

BTW you might want to consider adding more descriptive details to some of your captions.

e.g.  M956B2 -- include name of bistro, type of architecture, etc. in caption

9 minutes ago, Carol Behan said:

Hi Everyone!  Thanks for the advice, John.  Can you elaborate a bit more?  Do people search for captions or for key words?

The Alamy search engine searches both. Captions are really important these days. Also, editorial clients like lots of accurate info.

e.g.  M956B2 -- include name of bistro, type of architecture, etc. in caption

More keywords and more info in captions otherwise clients will not find your excellent images among the millions on Alamy.

Classic car good, but which make? which year?

Quebec city: You have Quebec flag as a keyword, but should also be in the caption. You use a keyword “old city” good, but should use the more common phrase “lower town” as well. Also keywords like history; historic; travel;

The more relevant keywords the more sales. Who?, what?, why?, where?, and sometimes How?. The classic WWWWH.

You are off to a good start.

9 minutes ago, Bill Brooks said:

More keywords and more info in captions otherwise clients will not find your excellent images among the millions on Alamy.

Classic car good, but which make? which year?

Quebec city: You have Quebec flag as a keyword, but should also be in the caption. You use a keyword “old city” good, but should use the more common phrase “lower town” as well. Also keywords like history; historic; travel;

The more relevant keywords the more sales. Who?, what?, why?, where?, and sometimes How?. The classic WWWWH.

You are off to a good start.

Good hints - thanks!  I'll get my husband to name the cars...that's right up his alley! :D

Hi Carol and welcome to Alamy! 

Remember an image is only as good as its caption and keywords, so spend as much time as possible on that side of it.  Looking at your images you'll do well - try and cut out the similars.  Good luck!

On 4/3/2018 at 11:34, Carol Behan said:

Good hints - thanks!  I'll get my husband to name the cars...that's right up his alley! :D

There are thousands of images on Alamy of classic American cars in Cuba, but surprisingly few photographers have supplied the make, model, year, etc. in their captions or keywords. If your husband can identify some of yours, it might result in some sales. You never know...

15 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

There are thousands of images on Alamy of classic American cars in Cuba, but surprisingly few photographers have supplied the make, model, year, etc. in their captions or keywords. If your husband can identify some of yours, it might result in some sales. You never know...

Well, he tootled off to his classic car club meeting last night and got me the names and years of some of them.  The unfortunate thing is, with the embargo still in place in Cuba, getting spare parts is next to impossible, so a lot of the cars are 'hybrids' - patched up with parts cannibalized from other old cars, right down to the logo and hood ornaments, so they're not all identifiable.  Still, some are in great shape and taking a ride in them (they're mostly taxis) was a great experience!

11 hours ago, Carol Behan said:

Well, he tootled off to his classic car club meeting last night and got me the names and years of some of them.  The unfortunate thing is, with the embargo still in place in Cuba, getting spare parts is next to impossible, so a lot of the cars are 'hybrids' - patched up with parts cannibalized from other old cars, right down to the logo and hood ornaments, so they're not all identifiable.  Still, some are in great shape and taking a ride in them (they're mostly taxis) was a great experience!

Yes, that occurred to me as well. I've seen homemade "hybrid" cars in other Latin American countries, Nicaragua in the 1990's comes to mind. Good luck.

P.S. You might want to mention in your captions that some of the cars are hybrids. It's worth a try.

Archived