Novel Use revisited 2018

Hard to believe that it's almost opting in/out season again. I opted out of Novel Use in April 2012 because of very low returns plus the fact that some NU sales looked suspiciously like editorial ones to me. Just wondering, have things changed at all on the NU front? Is anyone seeing decent NU sales these days? If so, what kind? I hate to eliminate any possible sources of extra income and would consider opting back into NU if it has become more worthwhile. The idea behind NU licensing actually appeals to me.

When I first signed up with Alamy, I had a couple of NU sales. Like your experience, the prices were laughable so I opted out.

Never looked back since.

Rick

7 hours ago, GS-Images said:

I have never had an NU sale (unless they don't state "NU" or "Novel use" in the license?). That's since I started in 2010, although I wasn't a regular seller until 2015.

Geoff.

Yes, "Novel use" appears in the license. My last one (for $1.00) was in March 2012, just before I opted out. Alamy says that 70% of contributors are still opted into the NU scheme, so perhaps it is still alive and kicking in a parallel universe. B)

P.S. My NU sales were all "Novel use scheme 1." Not sure what that means, though. Is there a scheme 2, 3, etc.?

My last NU sales were 5 in May 2016:

Usage: Editorial
Media: Editorial website
Industry sector: Travel & tourism
Image Size: Any size
Start: 20 May 2016
End: 20 May 2021
Novel use, India only

and 2 in November 2016:

Industry sector: Media, design & publishing
Start: 02 November 2016
End: 02 November 2021
Novel use, India rights

wim

5 hours ago, wiskerke said:

My last NU sales were 5 in May 2016:

Industry sector: Travel & tourism
Start: 20 May 2016
End: 20 May 2021
Novel use, India only

and 2 in November 2016:

Industry sector: Media, design & publishing
Start: 02 November 2016
End: 02 November 2021
Novel use, India rights

wim

Interesting. I wonder what made these sales "novel" rather than just regular editorial ones. Were the prices really low? I believe that my highest NU sale was $1.50.

Oh, just noticed "India"...

• 10 months later...

I think this 'Novel Use' sale today (30 Jan 2019) speaks for itself. I'm opting out in April so that if someone likes an image of mine they have to at least pay the regular editorial price.

$ 4.90

Usage: Novel Use deal, Magazine, print and online, single use, any size inside, 250,000 circulation, UK, Magazine, print and online, single use, any size inside, 250,000 circulation, UK 
Media: Magazine - print, digital and electronic
Industry sector: Government (local, regional, national)
Print run: up to 250,000
Start: 28 January 2019
End: 28 January 2024

Archived