Importance of supertags.

Hello everyone,

Exactly how important are supertags, are they mandatory and/or worth it? Is there an easier way to pick 10, or does it have to be manually one by you? Quite tedious work if it's not important.

Appreciate any response.

I don't know how important they are but they are certainly not mandatory.  Worth it?... I don't know that either.  You are certainly correct that it's tedious in the extreme and frankly I can't be bothered.   If it was easier to do I might make the effort but I now do all the keywording/captions before I upload because the new Image Manager drives me nuts.

Thanks Vincent, I appreciate the response. I don't think I can be bothered either to do supertags, there's already so much to tick and select and whatnot, and I don't even have that many images, I can't imagine what it's like for someone like you with roughly 20k images.

Thanks again!

They are significant and they do work. I know that my images with them appear higher in searches than those without.

You only have a few hundred images so updating them is feasible. Then just start designating them as part of your workflow from now on.

I don't need to redo thousand of images because essentials were converted into supertags when IM came in and it works quite well- I have reasonable results from images I've never supertagged myself, just kept the inherited ones.

I'm not sure if you're trolling or not, but choosing 10 supertags isn't the most laborious of jobs.  It should only take you a minute or less for each pic.  I do them when I keyword which makes it easier and then it's just done. I do believe it has an impact, otherwise there wouldn't be supertags.

5 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

They are significant and they do work. I know that my images with them appear higher in searches than those without.

You only have a few hundred images so updating them is feasible. Then just start designating them as part of your workflow from now on.

I don't need to redo thousand of images because essentials were converted into supertags when IM came in and it works quite well- I have reasonable results from images I've never supertagged myself, just kept the inherited ones.

Is there an easy way to pick the 10 supertags though? Thanks for the reply.

1 minute ago, Colblimp said:

I'm not sure if you're trolling or not, but choosing 10 supertags isn't the most laborious of jobs.  It should only take you a minute or less for each pic.  I do them when I keyword which makes it easier and then it's just done. I do believe it has an impact, otherwise there wouldn't be supertags.

I'm not trolling at all. How tedious the work to pick them is I guess is subjective :)

Just now, Baco said:

I'm not trolling at all. How tedious the work to pick them is I guess is subjective :)

It isn't.  IF you choose them when you're tagging the image to put it on sale it really is an easy job.

Just now, Colblimp said:

Just choose 10 you believe are the most relevant to the image.

That's what I've been doing until now, picking them individually. I was just wondering if there was a way to auto-pick, or make the process any faster, I guess there isn't. Thanks though.

Just now, Baco said:

That's what I've been doing until now, picking them individually. I was just wondering if there was a way to auto-pick, or make the process any faster, I guess there isn't. Thanks though.

No, there's no other way.  I just accept it's part of the job and simply get on with it.

7 minutes ago, Colblimp said:

No, there's no other way.  I just accept it's part of the job and simply get on with it.

I suppose so :S

4 minutes ago, GS-Images said:

Supertags are vital. Captions and supertags mean the most. The only way to choose them is manually, and I agree it's tedious but that's just part of it. Those who put the effort into these tedious tasks probably have better results. Choosing not to create supertags and still expecting sales would be similar to not uploading images and expecting them to sell. You have a lot of competition here and if you want to compete the best you can, you need to do the best job you can.

A tip - When choosing which ones to supertag, obviously you choose the most relevant but also try to choose phrases rather than single words, as then you're effectively supertagging all the words in each phrase.

Geoff.

Thanks Geoff!

There are differing opinions-  IME captions are less significant than supers, but most of mine repeat a couple of bits of information from the supers- say, the architectural style of a building. It certainly doesn't hurt to duplicate in this way.

12 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

There are differing opinions-  IME captions are less significant than supers, but most of mine repeat a couple of bits of information from the supers- say, the architectural style of a building. It certainly doesn't hurt to duplicate in this way.

More is better in this case then. Alright, thanks everyone.

4 minutes ago, GS-Images said:

It does seem to vary, but one situation I had recently was with a robin. If I searched for robin, I had about 20 come up (some birds, some a plant of the same name). The one that had no tags or supertags, but did have a caption and was pending deletion, was appearing before all the others in search results that had captions and supertags.

There are other factors though with where an image appears so it's impossible to know how changes to captions/tags/supertags really affect things. I think all the testing I did a year or so ago was a bit of a waste of effort because the search engine takes things into account that we have no control over. The only real conclusions I have come to is that you cannot rely on any theories!  :)  So I just stick to the one that says to upload the best, and include all relevant words in both the caption and supertags. Then wait and hope.

Geoff.

I did some testing too, and followed all the threads, and finally decided on a policy of sticking my fingers in my ears, singing "La-la-la" and not changing much. BYE was probably a coincidence but I'm sure not going to test that theory.

4 hours ago, Baco said:

Yes, if you use Alamy Bridge to set metadata for images, it will automatically choose supertags, though it's always worth checking that it has chosen the ones you think are best

18 minutes ago, Sally said:

Yes, if you use Alamy Bridge to set metadata for iamges, it will automatically choose supertags, though it's always worth checking that it has chosen the ones you think are best

Didn't know that. Thanks Sally!

It depends and changes.

A couple of months ago, captions were king.

In one particular search, with results in the 'small hundreds', the top file had a (very good) caption only, no (visible) keywords (older file).

There could have been a strong Alamy Rank factor, I guess, but still no keywords so no supertags.

2 hours ago, Sally said:

Yes, if you use Alamy Bridge to set metadata for images, it will automatically choose supertags, though it's always worth checking that it has chosen the ones you think are best

What's Alamy Bridge?

You can't mean Adobe Bridge, as it doesn't choose supertags IME, so is this some Alamy 'thing' I've missed?

Or have I missed something on Adobe Bridge?

5 hours ago, Cryptoprocta said:

What's Alamy Bridge?

You can't mean Adobe Bridge, as it doesn't choose supertags IME, so is this some Alamy 'thing' I've missed?

Or have I missed something on Adobe Bridge?

No I don’t mean Adobe Bridge. I mean Alamy Bridge.

https://www.lightroom-plugins.com/AlamyIndex.php

It is a Lightroom plug-in that interfaces between Lightroom and Alamy. Indispensable IMHO

https://www.lightroom-plugins.com/downloads/Alamy Uploader Manual.pdf

25 minutes ago, Sally said:

No I don’t mean Adobe Bridge. I mean Alamy Bridge.

https://www.lightroom-plugins.com/AlamyIndex.php

It is a Lightroom plug-in that interfaces between Lightroom and Alamy. Indispensable IMHO

https://www.lightroom-plugins.com/downloads/Alamy Uploader Manual.pdf

Ah, I didn't realise that Lightroom Bridge was different from PS Bridge. I don't use LR, just PS.

Thanks.

1 hour ago, dlmphotog said:

Why does Alamy have to make the star/button for supertags so small, is it only me, or do others have trouble hitting the star ?

NIghtmare. I follow the hints I was given on the forum, and magnify my screen size by quite a bit when trying to hit stars.

Crazyness, especially when Alamy claimed the new image manager was to make things easier for us.

Archived