Anybody out there who have some experience with online art sites, e.g, RedBubble / Saatchi, i am with both and not much is happening in regard to sales or inquiry's,  thinking of trying elsewhere.

Thank's in advance to those who can offer advice.

Cheers,

Paul.

You could join the 2,434,658 other photographers on fineartamerica. Some people report great sales but I think there's too many photographers and not enough buyers. Plus I think art sells better than photos there hence the name of the site.

Actually will be coming off FAA for that exact reason. It's an Art website that photogs tried to use to sell images. It's blatantly obvious from the furious artists on their groups that this was the case. For some reason some of them don't regard photography as Art. 

It's pretty saturated with content and if your niche is scenic vistas of your country or architectural bliss then, like me, you'll find about 50 or so other photogs who have done it to death on FAA.

Same names just pop up everywhere you try to sell images, almost like you've turned up on someones patch of land. 

Some of the sold images on FAA baffle me sometimes, it's amazing what people will buy. 

I've just had a look at the intro page of FAA - the inspirational sales page - and I'd say about 40% of them are photographic, some brilliant, some not. I have joined them recently and have had a few views but no sales yet. I take the 'it can't so any harm' view.

I've also joined Saatchi, with exclusive images, and have had far more views but no sales yet. A girl at the school where I used to work has sold a couple via Saatchi, but she is a VERY good painter.

I have sales through Redbubble but not a huge amount but seem to do well around Christmas time.

The trick with Redbubble is to get people to view your work to move up the rankings

and the main way to do that is to view everyone elses work and comment to get them to view yours

If that makes sense

Regards

Paul

Link to my Redbubble below (should get a few more views)

I make occasional sales through FAA, and I received a decent (over $200) payment from them this month.  However, the amount of "stuff" for sale there is definitely a bit overwhelming. But what else is new, eh?  FAA seems to be taking steps to make their operation more international, which might (?) increase sales. Up until now, they have been very USA-centric. I did have an FAA customer from Berlin recently, though.

You also have to play the commenting game on FAA to improve ranking. I don't have the inclination or patience to do this. Most of my sales just come out of the blue -- from Google, etc. searches probably. I do use Facebook and Twitter sometimes but can't really say if any sales are a result of this.

I also have photos on Artflakes. Have had no sales there at all, plus I don't find their website very user-friendly. However, most Artflake customers appear to be from Europe; so if you're based in Germany, AF might be worth checking out.

I gather not many people are looking to buy photographs for their walls. I have a variety of photographs for sale on my website and don't sell much. I have even tried to sell at the local farmers market and lots of people walk up and say "Oh I want that one" but don't make any purchases. I am hoping things pick up for the Christmas season. Saying that however, people will go to Ikea and buy their mass produced photos.

I gather not many people are looking to buy photographs for their walls. I have a variety of photographs for sale on my website and don't sell much. I have even tried to sell at the local farmers market and lots of people walk up and say "Oh I want that one" but don't make any purchases. I am hoping things pick up for the Christmas season. Saying that however, people will go to Ikea and buy their mass produced photos.

Yes, it's tough to compete with the likes of IKEA. Most people just want something that matches their couch. Content really isn't that important.

I have a free membership on FAA, with 25 images up. No sales yet (just a few months).  I was surprised to find out how expensive their shipping was for non U.S. addresses.  I fancied some artwork on the site and was going to order a small print for myself, for $22.  However the  cost of shipping to Canada was $23.50.  I changed it to a U.S. address to check for a difference and the cost dropped to $4.95.    I think that high shipping cost will make it harder to sell here.

I have a free membership on FAA, with 25 images up. No sales yet (just a few months).  I was surprised to find out how expensive their shipping was for non U.S. addresses.  I fancied some artwork on the site and was going to order a small print for myself, for $22.  However the  cost of shipping to Canada was $23.50.  I changed it to a U.S. address to check for a difference and the cost dropped to $4.95.    I think that high shipping cost will make it harder to sell here.

FAA shipping costs outside the USA are prohibitive alright. I've never sold anything in Canada. In fact, I've had only one non-USA sale, in Berlin as mentioned above.

Hi Maria, I started with the free membership about three months ago but quickly realised that I was not going to get any sales with just 25 images against the many that are on their site. So I changed to paid membership and now have over 370 images up. Lots of interest but no sales as yet but it is early days. As you fairly point out postage costs are a downer for buyers outside of the USA. However I am hoping to hit the American market.

Allan

Hi Maria, I started with the free membership about three months ago but quickly realised that I was not going to get any sales with just 25 images against the many that are on their site. So I changed to paid membership and now have over 370 images up. Lots of interest but no sales as yet but it is early days. As you fairly point out postage costs are a downer for buyers outside of the USA. However I am hoping to hit the American market.

Allan

I had one sale while in trial mode so used the proceeds to subscribe. Since then 1500 views and no further sales. I think it's a tyre kicking site. Some artists and the odd photographer may do well.

FAA works fine for me. I made 1600 dollar in little over a year in 22 sales. I sell about 2-3 images per month now, making me 100-300 dollar per month. I have little over 500 images there. You keep 100% of a sale plus you get material commission. My images are not art, still I sell there. When they open an official EU office, I expect my sales to at least double. So yes, FAA works fine, they are my 2nd best earner behind Shutterstock. 

FAA works fine for me. I made 1600 dollar in little over a year in 22 sales. I sell about 2-3 images per month now, making me 100-300 dollar per month. I have little over 500 images there. You keep 100% of a sale plus you get material commission. My images are not art, still I sell there. When they open an official EU office, I expect my sales to at least double. So yes, FAA works fine, they are my 2nd best earner behind Shutterstock. 

well done, good result!

Archived