I'm a bit puzzled by Alamy's calculations. For some days I have had showing on my dashboard a cleared balance, due today, of $384. This converts to £279.55 as of today. Add on 20% VAT and I should be due £335.46. What I am actually receiving is £225.11 (£187.59 + £37.52 VAT). Do others have this experience?

Alex

2 hours ago, Alex Ramsay said:

I'm a bit puzzled by Alamy's calculations. For some days I have had showing on my dashboard a cleared balance, due today, of $384. This converts to £279.55 as of today. Add on 20% VAT and I should be due £335.46. What I am actually receiving is £225.11 (£187.59 + £37.52 VAT). Do others have this experience?

Alex

Alamy's conversion rates have always been a mystery to me. I always look at the median rate on the day the money is supposed to be paid - it's always lower. I generally set up my spreadsheet to give me a guide of ~2 cents lower than the median rate so I have an idea.

27 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

There's a foreign exchange commission of about 3%. Try it for the median rate on the 2nd. when you get your sterling amount. I have a formula in my accounts spreadsheet that gives me the true rate.

Thanks for that - very helpful. 

Leaving aside the VAT, exchange rate and uncleared sales, however - I had a cleared balance showing on my dashboard of $384, and this was showing for about a week before the end of the month (also showing on my account balance page). This is why I was surprised to receive only $267 + VAT.

26 minutes ago, Alex Ramsay said:

As I suspected, they can't do anything without a screenshot, which I don't have. Will do in future, though.

Can you not get a balance of account screen showing both the cleared balance and the funds transfer? I certainly can.

Maybe you can download the sales report with payment date? 

That should  reconcile to the payment and list the images included in that payment.  

8 hours ago, Alex Ramsay said:

Leaving aside the VAT, exchange rate and uncleared sales, however - I had a cleared balance showing on my dashboard of $384, and this was showing for about a week before the end of the month (also showing on my account balance page). This is why I was surprised to receive only $267 + VAT.

I had the same thing a few months ago where my cleared balance on my dashboard dropped in value a few days before the end of the month. Alamy won’t investigate without a screenshot, but who does this!

Archived