Baseline ("Standard")

Finishing up the Post on an image 20 minutes ago, I did the conversion from tiff to jpeg in CS5 and I noticed when the second window opened where I pick the quality level . . . that Progressive was checked instead of Standard. 

How did this happen? I didn't change it, but there it was. And, since I've been Awaiting QC for 20 days now, might this be the reason I may have failed QC? 

It is a puzzlement. 

Probably, yes.

Adobe uses progressive in a couple of automated tasks, like building a web album (or whatever it's called). The problem is, it doesn't revert back to the original settings. Jpg quality is also affected.

wim

A couple months ago when I first started posting to Alamy I had a couple problem submittals that partially failed.  It turned out that a couple images in the batches were progressive.  I found that if I open an image that had been previously saved as progressive, Photoshop would automatically reset my preferences and save all subsequent images as progressive until I again reset my preferences to baseline.

Edit:  I've found that I can open the progressively saved image and simply resave it as baseline and it will go through QC without an issue.

Finishing up the Post on an image 20 minutes ago, I did the conversion from tiff to jpeg in CS5 and I noticed when the second window opened where I pick the quality level . . . that Progressive was checked instead of Standard. 

How did this happen? I didn't change it, but there it was. And, since I've been Awaiting QC for 20 days now, might this be the reason I may have failed QC? 

It is a puzzlement. 

Ed, I think that ticking "progressive" might cause a processing error, but not a failure. If it's any consolation, I think that I might be joining you in the sin bin. It's a bit too early to tell for sure, but I don't have a good feeling. For the past couple of months, all of my submissions have been clearing QC overnight. That hasn't happened with the latest one...

I just went trough all the images that are Awaiting QC and all my newer images that are sitting on my desktop in a folder. One image only that I've already submitted was checked as Progressive. Half my newer images were checked as Progressive! Other than posting in here, dealing with email and listening to the radio, I've been doing nothing on my iMac. Oh wait . . . I watched a couple of videos last night. 

Wim, I have 2 images on-the-edge that are on QC hold. Perhaps I've been a bit advantageous. If that's the case, I'll dial back to the conservative next time. I hope before another week has gone that they will tell me what's going on.  

I just went trough all the images that are Awaiting QC and all my newer images that are sitting on my desktop in a folder. One image only that I've already submitted was checked as Progressive. Half my newer images were checked as Progressive! Other than posting in here, dealing with email and listening to the radio, I've been doing nothing on my iMac. Oh wait . . . I watched a couple of videos last night. 

Wim, I have 2 images on-the-edge that are on QC hold. Perhaps I've been a bit advantageous. If that's the case, I'll dial back to the conservative next time. I hope before another week has gone that they will tell me what's going on.  

I too slipped a couple of "adventurous" shots (my bad) in my last submission. Guess we'll find out ... eventually.

Ed,

I had PS do that to me several times over the years, never in 5 though. Not having Baseline checked causes problems for everyone

and after you have had happen to you once you start checking to make sure that Progressive is not checked more often.

Progressive definitely causes issues but most of the images in my first couple batches were "accidentally" saved as progressive, but only a handful of them were failed for technical reasons.  The remainder passed QC so maybe you will be ok.

Okay, folks---the mystery is solved. The mystery that has been causing me insecurity and anxiety. That is waiting for my small upload of images to pass or fail QC for over two weeks: they ALL passed this morning. As I mentioned, suggested, a week or so age in a different thread, it's summer and Alamy's QC staff is probably a little thin on the ground in August, and some of us have experienced a somewhat longer wait than normal. It was my turn to wait. Fair enough. 

QC does a good job on something that can be repetitive but still needs focus and a good eye, and I thank them for that. 

And I thank my fellow forum mates for putting up with my complaining. I will be taking Chuck's advice and making sure I pay attention to that last box in CS when doing the final conversion to jpeg.

Our Willie once said: all's well that ends well. 

Thanks you, Gervais. I appreciate your support. I will post the two images I feared might fail—one was perhaps a little noisy, the other had blurred motion. This experience has taught me some humility and a need for kindness in dealing with others in the forum.  :)

Surely you mean 'Oor Wullie' ? :)

No, I was quoting the Elizabethan Era scribbler, not the Scottish cartoon character. We quote Shakespeare on both sides of the drink. After him I quote Oscar Wilde, Mark Twain and Yogi Berra.

No, I was quoting the Elizabethan Era scribbler, not the Scottish cartoon character. We quote Shakespeare on both sides of the drink. After him I quote Oscar Wilde, Mark Twain and Yogi Berra.

As Oor Wullie once said: Jings, crivvens, help ma boab !!

I remember Yogi Bear (and Bo-Bo).

Allan

Okay, folks---the mystery is solved. The mystery that has been causing me insecurity and anxiety. That is waiting for my small upload of images to pass or fail QC for over two weeks: they ALL passed this morning. As I mentioned, suggested, a week or so age in a different thread, it's summer and Alamy's QC staff is probably a little thin on the ground in August, and some of us have experienced a somewhat longer wait than normal. It was my turn to wait. Fair enough. 

QC does a good job on something that can be repetitive but still needs focus and a good eye, and I thank them for that. 

And I thank my fellow forum mates for putting up with my complaining. I will be taking Chuck's advice and making sure I pay attention to that last box in CS when doing the final conversion to jpeg.

That's good to hear. As mentioned on another thread, mine passed today as well. Guess it's time to stop being so paranoid. Or is it?

Archived