There is an international Latin and Ballroom dancing competition near where I live.  I have had agreement from the organisers to take photographs.   I have never undertaken dance photography before.  I have a couple of questions.  Having checked on Alamy these type of images do not seem to sell well, if at all, so the first question: is it worth my time (although I am assuming the experience will be worth it).  Second, the lighting in the hall is poor and flash is not allowed.  My camera (a Nikon D5) is good at low light but some noise is inevitable;  does this mean that I will not be able to use them for stock in any case?   

4 minutes ago, IanDavidson said:

There is an international Latin and Ballroom dancing competition near where I live.  I have had agreement from the organisers to take photographs.   I have never undertaken dance photography before.  I have a couple of questions.  Having checked on Alamy these type of images do not seem to sell well, if at all, so the first question: is it worth my time (although I am assuming the experience will be worth it).  Second, the lighting in the hall is poor and flash is not allowed.  My camera (a Nikon D5) is good at low light but some noise is inevitable;  does this mean that I will not be able to use them for stock in any case?   

I've a fair bit of stuff on here at high iso ratings - needs must now and then.

:)

Thank you for your comments.  I will be using a 70-200mm F2.8 and a prime 50mm F1.8  Interestingly, I was just looking at the DxO OpticsPro 11 Elite  which is highly rated for noise removal but seems to be quite expensive as I already rent Lightroom and Photoshop.  

I know that ballroom photos do not appear to sell well by undertaking an image search inside AIM.  I know this is not conclusive but it is indicative.  I thought given how popular Strictly is  and in general the popularity of ballroom there would be a market - but, not for the first time, I appear to be wrong.   

I will give the event photography issue a try to see if that works.

Thanks again

Just one more hint. If you're using high ISO eg 3200, don't underexpose your images. Any underexposure in high ISO will create lots of grain. So, if you overexpose slightly, you should be fine. Start off setting your minimum speed at 250th as Gerard has mentioned. I've done lots of dance photography in the past.

40 minutes ago, Brasilnut said:

Get creative and try some silhouettes if the subjects are back lit:

Those people are standing around, hes shooting dancers in constant motion

50 minutes ago, Brasilnut said:

Get creative and try some silhouettes if the subjects are back lit:

Skateboarding youth at sunset - Stock Image

8 minutes ago, njene said:

Those people are standing around, hes shooting dancers in constant motion

Maybe something like this?

london-uk-27-juni-2017-alexander-whitley

One of our sons shoots a lot of ice skating by his daughters and their club. Lighting is generally poor (usually basically the house lights for hockey), and the skaters are moving fast.

He's used a 70-200mm f2.8, a 50mm f1.8 and other lenses on his full-frame Nikon, but now his go-to lens for that is a Sigma 135mm f1.8 (one of their ART lenses).

• 7 months later...

Archived