Just had this sale drop in:

Usage: Consumer goods
Media: Garments/t-shirts
Print run: up to 1,000
Start: 21 July 2017
End: 21 July 2020
Duration: 1 year. License period: For sell through.

Personally,  I think this is a personal use gone wrong, as it is for $12.63. 

It features people and it is not released. Is this a commercial use?

What do you think? 

I've had similar drop in today for 2 cents less than yours

Usage: Personal use, Personal prints, cards and gifts. Non-commercial use only, not for resale.
Media: Non-commercial, one time, personal/home use
End: 21 July 2022

Just now, Paul Thompson said:

I've had similar drop in today for 2 cents less than yours

Usage: Personal use, Personal prints, cards and gifts. Non-commercial use only, not for resale.
Media: Non-commercial, one time, personal/home use
End: 21 July 2022

I usually get those. The garment/consumer goods looks dodgy though.

I think you've been shafted. That is clearly a commercial use for profit. Up to 1,000 tee shirts?  Unless the "up to" means 6-20 for your family members. I'm wondering if there is an option for the amount. Up to 10, 50, 100, etc. If so, and if the buyer chose 1,000, over lesser options, that says he/she is selling them.

Betty

I recently had a PU sale for a dodgy 'personal' subject. I managed to find out using reverse search that it was used to sell on mugs, mouse mats, etc on a weekly market stall.

I duly reported it to Alamy who contacted the buyer. The outcome was so shocking that it cannot be printed here. It might give ideas to the bad guys. Anyone intrigued can PM me. I'm still fuming.

Gen

5 hours ago, gvallee said:

I recently had a PU sale for a dodgy 'personal' subject. I managed to find out using reverse search that it was used to sell on mugs, mouse mats, etc on a weekly market stall.

I duly reported it to Alamy who contacted the buyer. The outcome was so shocking that it cannot be printed here. It might give ideas to the bad guys. Anyone intrigued can PM me. I'm still fuming.

Gem

Which once again begs the question, why do we have a personal use option at all on a stock photography website?

Hopefully, Alamy will clarify one day.

9 hours ago, gvallee said:

Gen

Seem to remember a court case where a picture was used on Topshop T-shirts.

I've now emailed Alamy and let you know of the outcome.

Thanks guys.

"Our price calculator lists the “shop front” pricing. New customers that we don’t interact with invariably come to the site, search, price and license images and pay the shop front prices.

Customers we actively go after, contact us about specific needs or key customers with large spends and image requirements may negotiate on price; which always starts with our shop front pricing.

If the customer was to use this image commercially it is down to them to make sure they have the correct releases needed for the images end use.

As you have stated that no model release is available then there is nothing to worry about. The customer assumes all responsibility if they were to use the image commercially without  release."

Yeah, but not for $12.63. Cheapest one I find on the calculator is $210.00.

10 minutes ago, vpics said:

"Our price calculator lists the “shop front” pricing. New customers that we don’t interact with invariably come to the site, search, price and license images and pay the shop front prices.

Customers we actively go after, contact us about specific needs or key customers with large spends and image requirements may negotiate on price; which always starts with our shop front pricing.

If the customer was to use this image commercially it is down to them to make sure they have the correct releases needed for the images end use.

As you have stated that no model release is available then there is nothing to worry about. The customer assumes all responsibility if they were to use the image commercially without  release."

Yeah, but not for $12.63. Cheapest one I find on the calculator is $210.00.

A crazy reply!

Of course there is something to worry about!

I also wish that this wasn't a public forum and would suggest deleting the content of this thread as potential cheapskates reading the forum now have a figure to start with for a 1000 tee shirt print run.

Archived