What type of dog is this?

Could be . . . might be . . . a Tibetan Spaniel. My other guess would be to agree with Betty. Sorry, Matt, but I can't really see enough of the animal to say.

I've walked through tiger grass and elephant grass -- is that spaniel grass? 

Thank you for the answers. I googled Tibetan Spaniel and I agree that the nose is very different. I have spent quite a bit of time looking on the internet to try and identify it and I can't find an obvious match. So I agree, it probably is a mixed breed.

My good lady runs a call centre for a pet insurance firm and her claims assessor reckons a Pomerania/Papillion/Pug Cross.

I won't say the company name in case she is wrong!

Very hard to guess breeds these days - every time we go out walking she seems to see a new x/y/(z) cross breed. The experts reckon a lot of trouble brewing down the line with some of  them...

The thing about mixed breeds is this. Say you cross a poodle with a cocker spaniel. In the litter of pups, once they develop clear traits, you may have a pup with a cocker spaniel head with a broad muzzle and sturdier body bone structure, but the coat curly like the poodle.

A sibling might look mostly different with the lighter-boned frame of the poodle, but the coat isn't quite like either, but a mix.

Pekapoos used to be a hot selling mix years ago, and they could look very different from each other.  I had one. Black, longer straight hair with shaggy face, Pekingese shaped eyes, longer legs and personality of the poodle. His muzzle was neither long like the poodle nor pugged like the Peke, but somewhere in between. He looked like a werewolf with the bottom teeth showing. He slept with his eyes partially open, so they were reddened.

He was the sweetest thing ever, but a kindergarten friend of my daughter came over to play. She took one look at Jiminy as he ambled over to greet her, and ran back out the door screaming.

Betty

Thanks all... I'll add as many 'small cute dog' type keywords as I can sensibly think of then and hope that some one wants a picture of an unidentifiable, small cut dog in some long grass! .. long shot at a sale, I know.. but who knows!

Archived