When to sell gear?

That sounds very civilized, Martin . . . and I would feel comfortable doing business with anyone who's name began with two F's. 

I remember your story about Craigslist , Bill, but I'm the only heavy in my mob of one. I find myself trying to decide which martial arts weapon to bring along . . . and than I think: do I really want to risk entering The System at my age? Rikers Island for the holidays? Not a good idea. :ph34r:

The odds are that everything would go swimmingly, but bad luck is always in the shadows. And there's that old blues line: "If it wasn't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all."  :unsure:

Very sensible, Ed.

While New York is a wonderful city, it has a larger seedy underbelly just because New York City is so large.

I've done ok with Craigslist. Most of the time I've dealt with middle aged couples or single females. One man I sold a Nikon lens to, the transaction was done in a Walmart lobby, the other was at a table in a Braum's ice cream shop.

Everything has gone smoothly.

I am very careful.

I've sold everything from the camera equipment to shop tools, a meat smoker, two computers, a refrigerator, my jewelry making equipment and beads. And probably a dozen more things. Good people, every one.

I came back into photography after a number of years away. My cameras when I quit were canon EOS 5 and a bronica SQA, all which I sold in a moment of fury!

Coming back to photography my first choice was canon again, and a 1200D kit was my budget. I soon realised the direction that I was looking to take, and that this budget kit wasnt going to be my best choice. So opted for full frame with a used 5D mkii, a tamron macro which I bought from a pawn shop, and a used (although you'd never know, it was immaculate) 24-105 from eBay.

I'd looked at lots of kit before, but I didn't need 7fps, 64 focus points, 4K video or whatever was on the latest model. Most of what I'll be doing in the coming years will be plant and flower photography, so I'll be taking single shots in manual focus anyway.

So my strategy will be to keep my current canon kit until it dies, at which point I'll look around to see what fits the bill and budget. I'm happy to buy used every time, although I admit to being overly cautious sometimes.

Like most high priced items, they're worth more to the owner than they are to a buyer so I won't be selling. The original 1200d and kit lens was given to my daughter so that she can join the local camera club. She'll also get the tamron when I find a used canon 100mm macro for the right price.

She'll also get the tamron when I find a used canon 100mm macro for the right price.

I take it you mean a Tamron 90 1:1 macro. They've been making them forever and bringing out new versions every so often. They are super sharp lenses corner to corner when stopped down a little. I would keep that one if I were you and find something else for your daughter. I still have an ancient adaptall version which produces excellent images even at 36MP.

I bought my first DSLR in 2008 (a D90) after having started my photographic journey in 1990 with a Pentax SF7, eventually buying a Nikon F100. 

I started out with the kit 18-105 lens, which was good for what it was, but I knew I wanted to go full frame down the line, so I started buying FF lenses. I bought the Nikon 50mm f1.4D, which I eventually upgraded to the G version. My next FF purchase was the 70-200 f2.8 VR1 in 2012, which I still have and use every day. A few months before I sold the D90 and crop lenses, I bought the Nikon 24mm f2.8D. Apart from the D90, all my gear was 2nd hand. I then part-exchanged my D90 for a D700, which was the best move I ever made. The D700 was a fantastic camera.  I say was, because I had to let that go...

Fast forward to now and my gear is as follows:

D3s, D3, Nikon 14-24 f2.8, Nikon 24-70 f2.8, Nikon 70-200 f2.8, Nikon 50mm f1.4G and Tamron 90mm f2.8 macro.  I would have loved to have kept the D700 but as a professional, I couldn't justify 3 camera bodies.  The same happened with another lens I had, a stunning Voigtlander 58mm f1.4 - it was absolutely beautiful, but as I never used it, it had to go. So, my gear goes when I can't justify it any more.  I will say, all my gear is 2nd hand, apart from the 14-24. 

My next purchase will be either the Nikon 85mm f1.4G lens or the Sigma 85 1.4 ART, not sure yet. I only buy gear if I NEED it, although I always WANT new gear!  I wont even go into my straps, lightstands, bags, flashguns etc!!!

Some very interesting observations folks!

I'm not convinced that digital progress is slackening, people have been saying that since digital cameras were first introduced. I remember reading wise words about the physics of photo electricity and how it would be quite impossible to cram more pixels onto a 12 MP sensor, without massive loss of quality. 

My Sony NEX 6 is a perfectly adequate 16MP camera, but the latest incarnation, of about the same diminutive dimensions, boasts 24 MP, along with better IQ, vastly improved video performance, and it comes with built in 5 axis image stabilisation, so that any lens can benefit.  It also costs a whole lot of pennies, so I won't be buying one anytime soon.  :(

Don't think digital progress is slackening Bryan, just now fairly convinced that I no longer need to upgrade the 5D II or the 6D for better quality, only as and when they wear out. The 50D I bought years ago for the 1.6X mag of a C sensor now lives under the seat of my car with a cheap Canon 18 - 135 on the front, it's my "grab it and run" camera. The shutter button is a little eratic (despite running the fixes found on YouTube involving isopropyl alcohol three times), so it's finally up for replacing, but even spending the meagre £275.00 or so for a basic amateur Canon DSLR body goes against the grain.

If you can achieve good quality with what you have, (and you obviously do) you're already on a winner.

But I also keep my hardly used Nikon F6 though I plan to sell it later. I guess that one could become a collector's item if it isn't already.

Cheers,

Philippe

Philippe there is one for sale here. Not exactly a collectors item yet.

Allan

I have patience ;)

Cheers,

Philippe

You will need a lot of that. The F6 is still available new for £1,749 from Grays of Westminster.

Oh, it will .... by the time I reach my 130th birthday  ^_^ 

Wildlife photographers are known for being very patient people  -_- 

Cheers,

Philippe

:D

Well when my ETRS camera became a paperweight  :) i bought my first digital camera the Canon 20D in (2005)...I really wanted a 5D1 full frame but could not afford one at the time,but managed to eventually get one..I loved the fact that my wide angle lens was now a full wide angle and not cropped...Ok moved up to the 5D2 which i have used for 3 years and was a good upgrade with the bigger file size,i enjoyed using this camera..

So now the 5D4 is out and it was a good time to get a used 5D3 :) so i just bought a mint used one and it is lovely!...a refinement over the 5D2 and it feels better in the hands and much better in the focussing area,and the files look that bit cleaner and much better shadow detail (less noise)....Did i really need it...no but i just had to have one  :D So most likely in about 3 years time i will be after a good used 5D4,but meantime i will have to get some good use out of the new addition.

Cheers Bill

Archived