Gorgeous Photos

Colin Woods

We need an antidote to all the grim news we are bombarded with all day long, so have a look at these astounding photos. In case you missed it, Alamy posted the link yesterday on their links feed. Great work, I love the slightly muted look and its great to see these kids that haven't been taught hate yet and don't care about ISIS, Brexit, Trump, Putin.......and here is his 500px set with the Hungarian sheepdog (1st photo) that looks like a mop

Cheers

Colin

They are so good, I love them. What lens is he using do you think? I can't decide of its a wide mid tele (85mm f1.8 or something like that) or if he's further back and he has a long telephoto. The depth of field is very narrow.

Colin

I'd guess he used a 200mm as the backgrounds are very compressed.

Nice set of pics.

Colin:

Thanks for posting. Just when you think a subject has been done to death, this happens. It’s inspirational. In the winter of our discontent gets the juices flowing, and wakes up the little grey cells.

The strong part of the photo is that the relationship between big dog and small child really comes across.

All of the elements come together in these photographs. He is a true master of the medium.

Notice how he uses light and shade contrast, to make his subject stand out from the background

His backgrounds are out of focus enough not to interfere with the subject matter, but in focus enough to still read visually and so provide a setting.

Notice how only the centre is in focus. The plane of focus does not extend out to the edge. The edges have been softened either in post processing or could be the lens. There is also some spreading of the highlights. Again could be the lens or post processing.

You could probably start by using a 200mm 2.8 wide open and then do some post processing.

Portrait photographers used to get this look by shooting on 8 X10 film and using a special Goerz lens developed about 125 years ago. It was a normal lens, but you could unscrew one element and then it became a telephoto, only sharp in the centre, with considerable flare. You controlled the depth of field by inserting a disc with a hole in it into a slot in the side of the lens. Big hole disc for one person shot, small hole for group shot.

Here is a link to a Goerz lens but I think it is a later model.

Technical or not. great pics.

There is lots of PP but its OK for me. Usually I prefer photos that have few after effects added, but here it gives him a signature look and doesn't alter the close bond that we see between the child and the dog. Children can't fake these deep emotions and what we are seeing is real, and its great so I can forgive him his LR presets. I am not so sure about the lusty lady in her underwear sat with her big black dog though. I have nothing against big black dogs and am entirely in favour of lusty ladies wearing almost nothing, but the two together is a bit too far. I'll stick with looking at the kids I think.

Colin

Yeah yeah . . . and I am going to sound like the Grinch who stole Christmas . . . but I see a few sandwiched images here, and the PP is a bit too much.  :ph34r:

I'm something of a Grinch too, Edo

Real dogs or PhotoShop dogs? I'm too dumb to tell.

It's sad, I know, but I no longer trust photography. B)

P.S. Even the kids look too squeaky clean to me. I never looked like that when I was out with my big, sloppy, mud-coated dog.

Yeah yeah . . . and I am going to sound like the Grinch who stole Christmas . . . but I see a few sandwiched images here, and the PP is a bit too much.  :ph34r:

Edo:

No more than we used to do with a brush on an 8X10 neg and our special lenses. If you are sandwiching images you are only compressing real time into one image.

Great images with no photoshopping are only a careful selection of one reality, either by the photographer or the editor. The reality selected can be very misleading.

There was a Canadian politician running for Prime Minister who lost an election over a photo op where he fumbled an American football. He caught the ball 19 times out of 20 but fumbled it once. Images were taken all 20 times. Some newspapers, sympathetic to the other parties, ran the fumble image on their front pages with the headline "FUMBLER". It was all downhill from there.

Think about a shot of two world leaders signing a treaty. The treaty signing is only for a photo op. Diplomats agreed on the terms months ago. First they shake hands and smile for the left side of the room. Shutters go off. Then they shake hands for the centre of the room. Shutters go off. Then they shake hands for the right side of the room. Shutters go off. All certified by the publishers as being authentic. Absolutely no photoshopping

P.P.S.

I don't mean to belittle the photographer's superior technical ability. I certainly couldn't have taken those photos. They are just too perfect for my liking, right down to some of the kids' designer outfits worth hundreds of dollars. Who sends their children out to play with the dog in outfits like that? No one I know.

To quote President Obama, "C'mon, Man!"

P.P.P.S. OMG I truly am a Grinch. Sorry about that. I do appreciate the spirit of the images, honest. Thanks for sharing the link. I'll crawl back into my cave now. B)

Just so I'm clear, Bill -- I see sandwiching of pictures of children and other pictures of dogs. And all this high-end PP manipulation does not give me a touchy-feely ah . . . it makes me feel manipulated.

My father was in Congress for 30 years, so I understand a bit about how the business of politics works. 

My problem is that I no longer know what is fake and what isn't. But this doesn't seem to concern a lot of photographers these days. Unfortunately, it's often more about impact rather than truthfulness. The slicker and more "perfect" an image looks, the less I trust its authenticity, which of course doesn't necessarily mean that the photographer actually has faked the content of the image. All this wonderful imaging and processing technology that we now have really is a double-edged sword. Am I paranoid? You bet.

Archived