Missing Keywords

Is anyone else noticing keywords missing on an image? This one of mine HBHTWX  has the scientific name, Tambja morosa missing underneath the image online, but it is most definitely there, in essential keywords when I check in manage images. Other natural history subjects loaded in the same batch appear to be OK.

Nudibranch Tambja morosa - the three keywords are in your caption, but I cannot find them in your keywords, neither.

Oh, shite - this may mean that every single image has to be checked in a short while - and it is too late to get updated data information from Alamy covering all one's images.

Edited: The image seems to be your most recent one. May the reason be the same as in the later posts of this thread: http://discussion.alamy.com/index.php?/topic/6687-pictures-disappearing/

This is so weird. I had a closer look at my newer images.

My wildlife images seem OK except one specie: Sooty Tern, Sterna fuscata.

They all have these keywords both in caption and in Essential.

Caption displays them all but in the list of keywords underneath the image, it's missing 'Sterna'. It only has 'fuscata'.

What's going on?

Alamy are still making changes to the system, so these problems may only be temporary. They have said that duplicate keywords would not be allowed and won’t tell us how phrases are handled, so as the words have been entered in both the caption and keywords that could be the source of the error. But at the moment, no one knows.

Alamy are still making changes to the system, so these problems may only be temporary. They have said that duplicate keywords would not be allowed and won’t tell us how phrases are handled, so as the words have been entered in both the caption and keywords that could be the source of the error. But at the moment, no one knows.

But only for one bird species? And dropping only the first name of the Latin name and not the second?

I'm not overly concerned but I'll keep a sharp eye at what's going on.

In the general collection under the new system, it looks to me as if keywords are now being taken from both the caption, and your keywords. 

However duplicate keywords are not allowed. Therefore if a keyword is duplicated in the caption, it would be removed from the keywords.

If true this makes sense to me. Your information is not lost, it is still in the search. I think this is all for the good, for every Alamy photographer. It should make all of that Alamy work we do much easier. 

There are large existing collections that only have captions. Those collections would be easier for Alamy to ingest, under the new system. If Alamy increased the spaces allotted to the caption field, like they do in live news, it would make your images easier to ingest in none Alamy systems.

Look at the Alamy live news images for instance. There are no keywords.  How do you search live news presently, if there are no keywords? The system finds the keywords in the caption.

This is not new or unique to Alamy. I have a 16,000 image archive on a hard disc. When I do a metadata search on the image archive, my computer searches both the caption and keyword fields.

To be clear, I am just guessing about this.

In the general collection under the new system, it looks to me as if keywords are now being taken from both the caption, and your keywords. 

However duplicate keywords are not allowed. Therefore if a keyword is duplicated in the caption, it would be removed from the keywords.

If true this makes sense to me. Your information is not lost, it is still in the search. I think this is all for the good, for every Alamy photographer. It should make all of that Alamy work we do much easier. 

There are large existing collections that only have captions. Those collections would be easier for Alamy to ingest, under the new system. If Alamy increased the spaces allotted to the caption field, like they do in live news, it would make your images easier to ingest in none Alamy systems.

Look at the Alamy live news images for instance. There are no keywords.  How do you search live news presently, if there are no keywords? The system finds the keywords in the caption.

This is not new or unique to Alamy. I have a 16,000 image archive on a hard disc. When I do a metadata search on the image archive, my computer searches both the caption and keyword fields.

As does Lightroom, for example (if you set it up in this way).

This isn't a new problem but has been occurring ever since all keywords started being shown below a zoomed image. I reported a number of instances to Alamy at the beginning of the year but didn't receive any response. It is, however, just a display problem. The keywords are still there and searchable - I've tested it by removing the missing word from the caption, and the image is still found. Whatever other anomalies you can blame on the new search algorithm, this isn't one of them!

Ian D

Guest Stockfotoart
On 15.12.2016 at 09:47, gvallee said:

This is so weird. I had a closer look at my newer images.

My wildlife images seem OK except one specie: Sooty Tern, Sterna fuscata.

They all have these keywords both in caption and in Essential.

Caption displays them all but in the list of keywords underneath the image, it's missing 'Sterna'. It only has 'fuscata'.

What's going on?

it looks to me as if keywords are now being taken from both the caption, and your keywords. ....

and guessing wrong

keywords are not being taken from captions.

Captions have more weight now, but that's a different matter

km

But only for one bird species? And dropping only the first name of the Latin name and not the second?

I'm not overly concerned but I'll keep a sharp eye at what's going on.

So I guess we'll just have to wait and see if the missing keywords actually are there, and do convert to a supertag under the new system. It strange this has only happened to one image, the others captioned/keyworded in a similar manner all appear to be fine. I loaded 32 natural history images together, and only this one has lost a keyword.

RedSnapper +1

Thanks clarifying

"Keywords are not being taken from captions". "Captions have more weight now".

I would guess that both the caption and keywords are searched.

"Captions are a different matter"

How different? Is there any relationship between a word in a caption, and the same word used as a keyword?

This isn't a new problem but has been occurring ever since all keywords started being shown below a zoomed image. I reported a number of instances to Alamy at the beginning of the year but didn't receive any response. It is, however, just a display problem. The keywords are still there and searchable - I've tested it by removing the missing word from the caption, and the image is still found. Whatever other anomalies you can blame on the new search algorithm, this isn't one of them!

Ian D

I noticed likewise a few months ago.  Some of my images had a couple keywords missing on the web page.  For example, one of them is of a house and I've keyworded "real" and "estate", however "estate" does not appear in the displayed keywords.   I also tested it in a search and my image was found using "real estate" as a search term.  So I think the missing keywords are still there, just not being shown on the web page.

Maria

However I wasn't that concerned after testing and finding out that the image was still found when I searched for real estate.

Ian D

I noticed likewise a few months ago.  Some of my images had a couple keywords missing on the web page.  For example, one of them is of a house and I've keyworded "real" and "estate", however "estate" does not appear in the displayed keywords.   I also tested it in a search and my image was found using "real estate" as a search term.  So I think the missing keywords are still there, just not being shown on the web page.

Maria

However I wasn't that concerned after testing and finding out that the image was still found when I searched for real estate.

Same here. I have Vancouver "real estate" images with "estate" missing in the lists of keywords when viewed in search results. However, in my case, "estate" seems to have disappeared completely.

"Vancouver real estate" brings up my images.

"Vancouver real" also brings up my images.

However, "Vancouver estate" doesn't seem to bring them up (unless they are buried so deep in the search results that I can't find them). This suggests that "estate" might somehow have gotten lost in the shuffle.

UPDATE: Oops! It looks as if I'm going to have to eat my keywords on this one. I just tried "Vancouver estate" again and my images are indeed coming up in the search results. I probably made a typo in my earlier search. "Estate" is missing from the lists of keywords, though, while "real" is included. 

Hmm, so there appears to be some consistency, at least with photos of Vancouver real estate having the word "estate" missing from the visible keywords.  I checked some more of my images on the topic, and sure enough, all 4  have the word "estate" missing. But they all came up in the search so I'm not worried.  Just an odd blip I guess.

Archived