Strange Search Result

"Rural family in Bolivia OR Paraguya" -

This came up amongst my searches from yesterday and as I've never been near either of the places I was somewhat confused.

Checking the search on Alamy really does throw up some totally unrelated images which, like my own, do not contain these keywords.

Check it out. I guess the search engine is still sorting itself!

My Image is G20030 - rural Thai family which is at least is closer than a pub in County Donegal!

Wasn’t something said a while ago about bridging words in a search phrase acting as a terminator? If that is the case, “in” would have caused the following words to be ignored.

Edit: no, doesn't seem to be that...

It's standard Boolean database interogation language

Search Results
Boolean Operators are simple words (AND, OR, NOT or AND NOT) used as conjunctions to combine or exclude keywords in a search, resulting in more focused and productive results.

Yes but wasn't that supposed to give the result for [Rural family in Bolivia] or [Paraguya]

Meaning that an image (Michael Ventura - House in Maryland) with the keywords

should not have been in there.

The search term was not: Rural or family or Bolivia or Paraguya.

So either Paraguy images or images of rural families in Bolivia should have turned up?

wim

I have another case of strange results.  My image keyworded "Ile de Goree" shows up when one searches for "Ile de Ree".  Same for "Ile de Entree".  

Alamy's response:

"We have checked this with our development team and when a client searches for "Île de Ré” our search engine only looks for  “ïle de” and “Re” is not included in the search as it’s a stop word. As your images contain the keywords “ïle de” they turn up in the search".  

I find this strange as I do not want my images to show up when one searches for "Ile de Re", doesn't that hurt my ranking?  Well, it seems that ranking is irrelevant now, so perhaps I should not worry.

I have another case of strange results.  My image keyworded "Ile de Goree" shows up when one searches for "Ile de Ree".  Same for "Ile de Entree". 

Alamy's response:

"We have checked this with our development team and when a client searches for "Île de Ré” our search engine only looks for  “ïle de” and “Re” is not included in the search as it’s a stop word. As your images contain the keywords “ïle de” they turn up in the search".  

I find this strange as I do not want my images to show up when one searches for "Ile de Re", doesn't that hurt my ranking?  Well, it seems that ranking is irrelevant now, so perhaps I should not worry.

That is weird.

Almost nobody looks for something using re as a stop word.

About 80 searches a year for Ile de Re and some for something like re-enactment. This is how I know. The search engine doesn't accept re-enactment though, this is why some clients that are persistent enough, use re enactment or re wilding a garden or things like that.

wim

Archived