News - thank you forum folks and news team

Afternoon all

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone that helped me yesterday on my news questions. And today the News team were great in sorting out some things for me.

I "think" that I managed to get some of the first images up on a news feed of the TDF:)

THANKS!!!

"was going to do that but decided to stay up"

could have done both.....?

km

Hmm, maybe. It can be very much a case of blink and you'll miss it. Next time though it will born in mind. Very much enjoyed it this year and I'll look forward to next year's race :D

Experience counts for a lot Jools so try and photograph other cycle races during the year (or just cyclists out training), trying different positions and techniques, so you will be better prepared for the TdF next year.

Noted! I did enjoy the buzz from trying to get something to rushing back home to get the images on sale as soon as I could.

Planning that for next year to follow the Tour a little. I was lucky this year that it finished and started where I live. Next year, I'd like to do 5 days of it and combine with other things while out and about.

Congratulations Jools. Great photos.

Very colourful - just one question - can they be too colourful for this purpose?

Too colourful? You mean they are overcooked or that there is just way too much colour in the image with all the gear the cyclists are wearing?

Glad you had fun Jools. After shooting this myself twice I've the utmost respect for sports photographers. Especially with stuff that moves fast...

I've been lucky enough to see the TDF twice. Once on hols in 2008 when all I had with me was a Canon G9 (we literally stumbled across the route after getting lost...!) and once a couple of years ago when I lived there in 2011 and it passed about 15km away. I was more prepared then with a 5DII (not very quick AF) and a 70-200 f2.8. After a glorious week it poured down with rain. Still made for some colourful images though!

http://www.jonboyes.com/blog/images/tour-de-france-2011-stage-4-lorient-to-mur-de-bretagne/

For anyone who has never seen this race it's not quite what you'd expect. A few hours before the riders actually get to you there's an endless procession of publicity floats, many whom throw freebies to the crowd as they pass. Got a huge supply of sweets & washing powder samples last time.. Some just spray the crowd with water for fun though.. :)

B2RJ29.jpg

Then there's a ton of admin cars, support cars, police motorcyclists, the official tour photographers who (and respect for being able to) balance precariously on a pillion whilst capturing the action:

B2RFPY.jpg

Finally the leader(s) of the stage come through at what seems a breakneck pace followed down the road by the main pack (I got the yellow jersey here in 2008 on a G9!!):

B2RFT5.jpg

30-45 seconds later and it's all over! :)

You've stood there for three hours and inside five minutes they've passed at a lot faster pace than you expect. It's definitely a spectacle end to end though. If you ever get a chance to see it, do take the opportunity.

J

Yep, that sums it up. You wait for what seems like ages and then BAM they fly past at break neck speed!

I'd like to get down to the Alps next year if they go through there. After this year, I'd certainly be more prepared for things and will hopefully have a better idea.

And Mr Morris. I think I need to look very carefully at what you're doing. It seems to be many chances are being lost. It is difficult at the moment though as we have our new baby. Trying to get anything that resembles work done is nigh on impossible!!!

"news is a very very wide area......
just have a look at the range of images published each day by the uk press......

not all of them are 'hold the front page' " -- RedSnapper 

It's amazing the changes that have happened in photojournalism since, say, WW II. This area of the news used to be called "human interest," but now is considered main-stream news. Interesting. We used to have what were called "picture stories." Different from "photo essays," they were a series of images and captions that told the story. In the early '60s, using a single illustrating image started to be the norm. Forgive me for being historical; I'm sure most of you are familiar with Life Magazine and shooter like W. Eugene Smith. 

I suspect that the public hears and sees the big stories so many times in a day on all media that they welcome smaller, local items. (And of course sports is sports.) 

31 degrees celsius is considered "hot" in Wales? That would be "warm" here in NYC.   :)

I haven't attempted the "news" section before because I'm not entirely sure what exactly can be considered "news" beyond things we see such as sports events; celebrities; wars and disasters.

Mr Morris's images got me thinking but I would still like to be more informed before using the system more. As well, I still want to be able to make sure that whatever I send to the news team would pass normal QC if I can.

When I first looked at your stuff Keith I wondered how on earth is it news! A couple sitting by the beach enjoying the sun I think was one. It just seems so very simple!

What do you avoid doing though? As I said, I don't want to upload non-sensical stuff. Like today, it is a gorgeous day. I could go out and take pictures of people enjoying the afternoon sun and say "People enjoying the continuing heat wave in Tours, France". But is it "news" or old news?

Yes, I've seen that! And thanks to his suggestion of "go look at the news feed" he's given me an idea. What is it here tomorrow Bastille Day! But then, do you uploaded pictures of the town hall decked out today or photograph it tomorrow? I suppose today as then the papers have it for tomorrow?

Congratulations Jools. Great photos.

Very colourful - just one question - can they be too colourful for this purpose?

Too colourful? You mean they are overcooked or that there is just way too much colour in the image with all the gear the cyclists are wearing?

I like your photos, no question about that - and am aware that the gear is giving an extra colour lift - also that there are many opinions on how colourful images should be. But looking at the skin tones a few of the images may look a little bit overcooked on my monitor, anyway. Only thinking whether it could reduce sales in worst case. But more a question than a critisism.

Archived