I agree, it's a shame. The video marketplace seems to be dominated by a handful of royalty-free agencies. Alamy has been offering something different with its more rights-managed approach.

However, I can appreciate that it really is a jungle out there now. I just started experimenting with shooting video, and I'm amazed at the volume of clips available. The stock footage market is also a tough one to understand.

Agreed, but I don't think they presently have the resources to compete with established or upcoming agencies,  nor the willingness to invest the substantial amount of hard cash which would enable them to compete.

Do you think it would be worth Alamy's while to even try to compete at this point?

Agreed, but I don't think they presently have the resources to compete with established or upcoming agencies,  nor the willingness to invest the substantial amount of hard cash which would enable them to compete.

Do you think it would be worth Alamy's while to even try to compete at this point?

Other people obviously think there is still a profit to be made in video as the last year or so has seen a few new players in the microstock video agency field, plus, one existing established agency pushing towards a new USP with an emphasis on quality and another quality stills-only agency just announcing it is starting out on the video road. I'm not an expert in this field, merely a contributor who watches for straws in the wind, but what I see suggests there is still much potential for both contributors and sellers.

I was disappointed from the beginning of Alamy's venture into video that they didn't try to draw on their strengths. They had the experience and potential embodied in their existing still image contributors. Add to this the quirky uniqueness of the Alamy collection with its mix of commercial and editorial which sets it apart from most other agencies. Those qualities still exist, though the advantage they would have had when they first started offering video clips is now diluted by at much more mature and varied marketplace.

However the answer to your question is still, I think, yes. I think it would be worthwhile to compete, though it is less clear-cut than it was four years ago. However, the sticking point is almost certainly how much it would cost to make such a change in direction., and their decision is, for better or for worse, that it is too much to ask. A great pity for them, I feel, as it is an opportunity missed. A pity also for the many prospective video contributors here who would like to build on what they already know, and for existing video contributors elsewhere who are looking for a home for their art with an agency which will value and nurture them.

Interesting decision and maybe a warning shot across the bows for those of us looking into exploiting footage. I always had the feeling that part of Alamy's apparent reticence to open the flood gates was partially to save us from ourselves. Having agents let you piddle in the wind is not good contributor relations.

I do feel for Inchiquin, though.

Making nice money from footage elsewhere. Glad I went for it, really boosts stills income.

Just as I had got to the point where I thought I might have 250 clips available...

Alan

It is certainly worth while uploading elsewhere - I just reached 240 clips on another site and get occasional sales from those. Also was very impressed last week to get a sales notification in the morning and a paypal payment notification for the same sale mid-afternoon.

Given that Alamy is no longer interested in video, would anybody like to discuss or hint (or PM me) about which agencies are worth looking at for stock video. I'm mainly trying to get my 18-year old son interested in shooting video during his gap year.

Archived