Images darker when uploaded to Alamy

BevL

Hi,

I'm new to Alamy and have just this month started submitting.

I've passed Qc with no problems but I've noticed that some of my images appear much darker than when they left lightroom.

I will check the monitor calibration.

My question is can I fix the exposure and re-submit the image.

I will though have 2 almost identical images.

I would appreciate any feedback on my uploads.

Thanks

A lot of your images are  too dark for sure - highlights are falling towards the midtones and the images lack contrast. GIven that they are consistently dark, it is likely that you have your monitor turned up too bright although you may also be consisitently underexposing. The best way to check this is to use the histogram in LR.

You can resubmit and request member services to replace the images with the new ones although I've seen some talk elsewhere on the forum that this doesn't always work and you may have to manually delete the current images and replace the keywords.

Thanks for the feedback. According to the histogram they're exposed correctly so I'll calibrate the monitor to see if that helps. Unfortunately I don't have a Mac.

Also, am I on the right track with my key wording?

Thanks again for your feedback.

Bev

That's not making sense as Alamy doesn't change the brightness of the image on uploading to any significant degree if at all as far as I know. In other words if you check the histograms of the JPEGs you uploaded and the histograms of the images on sale, then they should be pretty similar. For example, your image below has no highlights at all - are you saying your original that you uploaded is different and the buildings are actually white i rather than grey?

That's not making sense as Alamy doesn't change the brightness of the image on uploading to any significant degree if at all as far as I know. In other words if you check the histograms of the JPEGs you uploaded and the histograms of the images on sale, then they should be pretty similar. For example, your image below has no highlights at all - are you saying your original that you uploaded is different and the buildings are actually white i rather than grey?

I am using an iMac and agree with MDM the above image is too dark. Clouds and white buildings are grey. I have pulled another from Alamy which shows the correct exposure.

(appologies to the copyright holder but for demonstration only for the new girl on the block.)

view-of-ornate-courtyard-of-sheikh-zayed

Allan

Thanks everyone for your advice.

I'm using a desktop computer. I have calibrated my monitor now and found I had the brightness too high.

I then went back to LR and checked the photo of the mosque and found that straight out of the camera I had the exposure right. The clouds and buildings were white. When I've then processed the image for some reason I've then underexposed it! The histogram showed it was underexposed. Obviously not paying attention. 

I'm new to LR so obviously a lot still to learn.

Bev

If you're on a Mac this could be the fault as the Apple default gamma is 1.8 as opposed to the universal 2.2 which you should use.

just a thought.

This was really helpful advice. I often have the same problem - many thanks. This article may be of use: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/1357888?tstart=0

If you process on a black background, the same image will look darker when viewed on the Alamy white background. The different backgrounds, influence your perception of the brightness.

As most images, either printed or on the web, are displayed on a white background I process images on a white background.

You should also have a colourless background for processing, as a colourful  background will influence your perception of the image colour.

Archived