How was July '15 compared to '16 so far?

Coming home and doing some basic checking of my Alamy numbers, I noticed that I have been totally wrong in my previous post in this thread.July 2015 was by far the worst month of the rolling year for me.

14 for 545.

July 2016 so far is not very exciting either with 10 for 345.

I had mistaken August 2015 for July 2015.

(It is such a pity the dashboard and most of the other stats don't give us at least 13 months of data.)

Now I have access to my numbers, here are all my July's

Jul-2005    3           $  468

Jul-2006    0

Jul-2007    3           $  401

Jul-2008    8           $  938

Jul-2009    1 (+ 25 NU) $  405

Jul-2010    3 (+ 1 NU)  $  167

Jul-2011    6 (+ 2 NU)  $  376

Jul-2012    6           $  440

Jul-2013    9 (+ 4 NU)  $  459    

Jul-2014    15          $  781    

Jul-2015    19          $ 1714 (2nd best of that year)

However that following August was much lower: Aug-2015    14 - $ 545

Which was what I mistakingly reported as July 2015

Jul-2016    16          $  968

So far

However a sale just popped in, which looks suspiciously the same as one that came in Friday, but at slightly lower price 330 vs 450, so I'm prepared for a refund there.

So is that useful information at all?

Not all that much. However a huge difference can very well be a warning sign of drastic change in ranking. Because images do go out of fashion, but not over the course of a month or even a single year. Well not a whole collection of them anyway. So it's mainly ranking if the client base remains more or less constant.

What we here usually call ranking is in fact performance. More precisely: ranking is relative performance.

My preferred methods of looking at performance include BHZ and some indicators, of which the main one is views/sales.

If my views go down, it means my ranking has gone down. If my views stay the same, but my sales go down, there are probably some with better images.

The really important one in the end is the average monthly total.

So here is my list of monthly totals:2005 - 98

2006 - 120

2007 - 993

2008 - 641

2009 - 363

2010 - 424

2011 - 499

2012 - 609

2013 - 876

2014 - 854

2015 - 1098

2016 (so far) - 1340

As you can see I'm not one of the best sellers on Alamy, but when we had the best 500, I was usually included.

wim

You continue to amaze!

I'm at 11 so far this July. A definite BME for me. I'm still waiting for 2 out of 3 that were promised by MS to come through this month.

What happens if the last day of the month is a Sunday, as it is this month? Do some clients do their accounts on a Sunday or would they do it on the Friday before, or wait for the Monday? I don't have enough experience of selling high numbers to know. I have had 4 come through today though, so at least some clients are doing their books today. Shame that one of them was a distributor sale that they used in JANUARY 2016! I'll end up with.......well we aren't supposed to quote low amounts any more (which I agree with).

We really need a private section of these forums called, "Moan about low prices and other negative things" that only contributors can read!   :)

Geoff

IME when the last day of the month falls on a Sunday, all kinds of stuff can happen right up until Monday. I'm in a different time zone, though, which might affect things.

My guess is that numbers and gross value will be slightly down on July 2015, but July 2015 was a particularly good month

But its not over till the fat lady sings....(or is that phrase no longer PC???)

Kumar

If it's not PC, then I am not PC. I use that phrase during my American football games quite often!

It appears I won't close the month with only one sale, since one dropped in today. Still a poor month.

Seems we're mirroring each other this month, Betty!  I had a second (low value) sale on the 28th.  Not a great month, by any means. :(

It appears I won't close the month with only one sale, since one dropped in today. Still a poor month.

Seems we're mirroring each other this month, Betty!  I had a second (low value) sale on the 28th.  Not a great month, by any means. :(

I have another unreported as yet, to Autobon.com. Sold July 29. This image was zoomed just a few days ago.

It was reported to me by email from Talkwalker. First I have heard of Talkwalker. They asked to be "Liked" which I did. Especially if I get other reports from them!

I have another unreported as yet, to Autobon.com. Sold July 29. This image was zoomed just a few days ago.

It was reported to me by email from Talkwalker. First I have heard of Talkwalker. They asked to be "Liked" which I did. Especially if I get other reports from them!

Does Talkwalker find images that Google Images doesn't?

wim

Last July I had a couple of sales including one for $400, so that would be hard to beat in today's market. Only one so far this month and lower value than last July.  One day left maybe something else will pop. 

Seems we're mirroring each other this month, Betty! I had a second (low value) sale on the 28th. Not a great month, by any means. :(

Does Talkwalker find images that Google Images doesn't?

wim

Wim, I have no idea. Never heard of them until today.

Edit: it seems the lowest subscription is $700 a month, and it seems to gather all your information, social media, etc. I sure can't afford it.

Archived