How to interpret restrictions as a buyer

As a buyer how would you interpret the use of a image with this restriction "Worldwide, Personal use, All Medias, All Industries, All Sub-Industries" 

I would have the understanding that i could not use the image.

What are your thoughts.

Paul.

It's pretty clear when you look at the image page what personal use means (hover mouse over the little i symbol) and that all other licenses are available.

My thoughts are that Alamy's restrictions are so confusing that they must scare a lot of potential buyers away, especially those who don't know much about image licensing to begin with.

You mean the people most likely to (legitimately) buy a personal use license? :)

My thoughts are that Alamy's restrictions are so confusing that they must scare a lot of potential buyers away, especially those who don't know much about image licensing to begin with.

You mean the people most likely to (legitimately) buy a personal use license? :)

Yup, they would probably fit the profile. Another case of "catch 22" I guess.

It's pretty clear when you look at the image page what personal use means (hover mouse over the little i symbol) and that all other licenses are available.

True, but I can see some novice buyers being confused when they click on "restrictions" and get the following (see below). It reads as if "Personal use" is just one item in a list of other restrictions.

Restrictions (cannot be used in/for)

• Worldwide, Personal use, All Medias, All Industries, All Sub-Industries

Do we really have to constantly look to dumb things down?

The restrictions description clearly and unambiguously says what it CANNOT be used for:  "Cannot be used for Personal use" . . .

It doesn't list everything that it CAN be used for, surely to expect it to do so would be just plain silly?

dd

Phillippe; 

The confusing words are "worldwide" "all medias" "all industries" "all sub-industries". Why not just saying "Not for Personal Use"? Clean and simple.

Phillipe has picked up exactly what i was trying to point out, Alamy's wording could be much clearer "Not for Personal Use" is better understood by most, we are not all Philadelphia lawyers.

Paul.

Do we really have to constantly look to dumb things down?

The restrictions description clearly and unambiguously says what it CANNOT be used for: "Cannot be used for Personal use" . . .

It doesn't list everything that it CAN be used for, surely to expect it to do so would be just plain silly?

dd

The confusing words are "worldwide" "all medias" "all industries" "all sub-industries". Why not just saying "Not for Personal Use"? Clean and simple.

Cheers,

Philippe

Sorry, but to me the meaning of the words "worldwide", "all medias", "all sub-industries" is pretty clear. Still, each to his/her own eh?

The problem is, when setting restrictions, there is no option to leave any of the fields blank. So you're suggesting a redesign of the restrictions page?

There are many things I'd like to be tended to first in the Manage Images functionality than this (especially the ability to append keywords to already existing keywords for example).

I h

Phillippe; 

Phillipe has picked up exactly what i was trying to point out, Alamy's wording could be much clearer "Not for Personal Use" is better understood by most, we are not all Philadelphia lawyers.

Paul.

Plain and simple is always the best way to go IMO. Unfortunately, the lawyers haven't discovered this yet. Or perhaps they just don't want to. B)

The reason i started this topic is because a few weeks ago i restricted personal use,  since then my views are down with only 2 sales so far this month and was thinking that restricting personal use might be the cause.

Anybody else with personal use restrictions that my have effected sales and views.

Paul.

Personally, I don't see how having restrictions (of any kind) on images cannot help but scare away some buyers. I removed all of my restrictions a couple of years ago after receiving an e-mail from Alamy (ironically) suggesting just this possibility.

Keep in mind that some buyers don't seem to know what "personal use" means -- e.g. here's a wonky license from 2008:

Usage: Editorial
Media: Trade magazine
Industry sector: Personal Use Only
Sub-Industry: Personal Use Only
Print run: up to 10,000
Placement: Inside
Image Size: 1/8 page
Start: 16 July 2008
End: 16 August 2008

Who knows what the buyer had in mind here. Did he or she keep all 10,000 copies of the magazine and not let anyone else look at them? 

Keep in mind that some buyers don't seem to know what "personal use" means -- e.g. here's a wonky license from 2008:

Who knows what the buyer had in mind here. Did he or she keep all 10,000 copies of the magazine and not let anyone else look at them? 

Ooops, I'd very much question this one. 

Ooops, I'd very much question this one. 

A bit late now... B)

Archived