Just one of the many, many different Echeveria.

dd

Probably Aeonium but possibly Greenovia.  Location would help but I'm assuming it was in cultivation, which always makes life difficult. :(

Chris

Looks more like Aeonium to me. Yes, it was cultivated and identified as a "succulent" only. Perhaps I'll play things safe and leave it at that.

It's definitely an aeonium - it looks the spittin' image of the giant houseleeks (Aeonium urbicum or maybe pseudourbicum) which are native to Tenerife and have these maroon borders and the little spiky bits (cilia I think they are called) on green leaves but I'm no expert (unlike John Richmond) and there could be other very similar species. Have you seen it in flower?

It's definitely an aeonium - it looks the spittin' image of the giant houseleeks (Aeonium urbicum or maybe pseudourbicum) which are native to Tenerife and have these maroon borders and the little spiky bits (cilia I think they are called) on green leaves but I'm no expert (unlike John Richmond) and there could be other very similar species. Have you seen it in flower?

No, I haven't seen this plant in flower. I just bumped into it by accident so to speak and liked the radial pattern of the leaves.

No, I haven't seen this plant in flower. I just bumped into it by accident so to speak and liked the radial pattern of the leaves.

Taking a photograph you liked the look of? That's a slippery slope, you know.

Taking a photograph you liked the look of? That's a slippery slope, you know.

Oh yeah, I know. But after photographing so many things that I don't particularly like, I thought I needed a break. B)

Maybe this might help?

Cheers,

Philippe

After watching the video, I'm fairly confident that it's an aeonium of some kind. No biggie, though. I've decided than "succulent" will suffice for this image.

Thanks everyone for the botanical advice.

Archived