Looking for two points for help on.

First, I am going to Ottawa this weekend for a dog show and wondered if any of my fellow Canadians (or not) had any good ideas on places to shoot that aren't the standard tourist fare.  Mostly evening shots, from about 5 in the afternoon on as I will be at the show all day.  I will be staying over until Monday as I want to go to the Canadian Space Museum.

And have any of you stayed in an Airbnb?  This is my first time, the person has a good rep so I figured I would try it.  A lot cheaper than hotels or motels.

Jill

I have used AirBnB in India. The experience is nice. Rates pretty reasonable too. Some hotels n commercial guest house hv also started listed themselves.at aBnB. Reviews seem pretty authentic !

Justin Trudeau selfies seem to be the hottest ticket in town these days. B)

I've yet to try AirBnB, but given the prohibitive price of hotels, I intend to give it a try next time I do some travelling. I have a friend how uses AirBnB every time he comes to Vancouver (which is fairly often), and he has had good experiences.

I'm hoping for a good Airbnb experience as I figure I can do more out of town shows if I'm not looking at pricey hotels.

There is a big painting event Saturday night where artists do "free painting".  Goes from 5 till 1 in the morning so I figure that will be a good photo opportunity.

And for fun, at the Aviation and Space museum going to go on the flight simulator and choose any airport in the world and try to land a plane.  Figure that should be a hoot and a half.  Who wants to bet I crash?  :)

Jill

I've stayed Airbnb in the States on five occasions in the last two years, all OK, some very good.  Read the reviews, study the pictures and, touch wood, you should be OK.  Bonus is that many provide access to a kitchen so that you can optionally cook your own food and avoid restaurant prices/junk food. Check what facilities they offer. 

I am just in an Airbnb in Helsinki now, two bedrooms great view and real nice host who takes care if we have a question. 

Two bedrooms are at the price of a single hotel room. 

For me it was a no-brainer where to sleep 

I've used Airbnb in lots of European cities, mostly good experiences, mostly renting a whole apartment - some not so great. But going for places with good ratings and feedback helps - our not so great experiences have been down to last minute bookings and not much availability either hotel or Airbnb.

A few cities in Europe are getting tough on them though, Berlin has just banned the renting out of whole apartments through Airbnb to try and protect affordable housing for its own residents, other cities are doing the same.

I've used Airbnb in lots of European cities, mostly good experiences, mostly renting a whole apartment - some not so great. But going for places with good ratings and feedback helps - our not so great experiences have been down to last minute bookings and not much availability either hotel or Airbnb.

A few cities in Europe are getting tough on them though, Berlin has just banned the renting out of whole apartments through Airbnb to try and protect affordable housing for its own residents, other cities are doing the same.

very interesting - I did not know this is happening in Germany and also elsewhere. 

Sounds to me much like trying to outlaw taxis to keep the coachmen and their horse buggies in business. 

very interesting - I did not know this is happening in Germany and also elsewhere. 

Sounds to me much like trying to outlaw taxis to keep the coachmen and their horse buggies in business. 

more to do with Berlin (and other cities) having sufficient low cost housing for people to live here! Berlin is actually a very cheap city to live in, amazingly so for a major European capital. That is the way it should stay. With Airbnb and other such rental sites, a lot of accommodation gets used for nothing more than holiday let. It was found that large areas of the city were occupied more by tourists on a short stay than residents, landlords who previously rented out their apartment for people to live in instead rent out through Airbnb - might be good income for the landlord, but it does nothing to protect people who need a place to live. 

Note this is also only the renting out of whole apartments, not rooms within apartments, so people can still rent out their spare bedroom.

Had a great Airbnb experience.  Great host. Even let me park in his parking spot behind the building as my car was full of all the stuff from my show.

Also had a great time in the flight simulator.  Flew to Paris and flew around the Eiffel Tower then over the Louvre.

Fantastic museum.

Jill

Try for some shots of canada's royal family. Prince Justin and the Dutchess of York Ontario

I was hoping for a Justin selfie (they are the in thing these days) but somehow we just didn't cross paths.

Have to move in better circles I guess.  :)

Jill

Try for some shots of canada's royal family. Prince Justin and the Dutchess of York Ontario

I was hoping for a Justin selfie (they are the in thing these days) but somehow we just didn't cross paths.

Jill

Jill you already move in better circles. ;)

Allan

Jill

You have to be quick to keep up with Justin, he has "speedy ways." Stephen Harper OTOH used to lumber along like a walrus, although he was very good at dodging the press. B)

more to do with Berlin (and other cities) having sufficient low cost housing for people to live here! Berlin is actually a very cheap city to live in, amazingly so for a major European capital. That is the way it should stay. With Airbnb and other such rental sites, a lot of accommodation gets used for nothing more than holiday let. It was found that large areas of the city were occupied more by tourists on a short stay than residents, landlords who previously rented out their apartment for people to live in instead rent out through Airbnb - might be good income for the landlord, but it does nothing to protect people who need a place to live. 

Note this is also only the renting out of whole apartments, not rooms within apartments, so people can still rent out their spare bedroom.

Airbnb has come under similar criticism here in Vancouver, where we have almost a zero vacancy rate for rental units and a serious homelessness problem.

Tried (2) home stays in me life:

Madrid ~1993

Toronto ~2012

Both times, shortly after, folliculitis came callin'.  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:

Never again, free hotel via points for me, it is.

Hotels wash sheets in HOT water, they do.

Make sure airbnb demands same, IMO...

The thought did cross my mind...

You could always BYOS or rent a place with a washing machine and hot H2O.

Archived