Requires critical analysis and portfolio.

I have another very small anniversary at Alamy-three months as posted his work, in the beginning I had listed my grave shortcomings, which try to get rid of, but more likely still much needs to be changed, and your opinion may not all have noticed, so I want to hear.

I read on a daily basis and try to listen to the hosted forum questions and answers, but much still can not understand, for example, probably do not understand the main topic of the logic of the buyer, its interests at the moment on the choice of works, subject and keyword searching, than guided search queries.

I welcome any criticism and help!

You have to watch the keywording.  Lots of keywords that aren't really relevant to the image.

This one:

ruddy-shelduck-tadorna-ferruginea-male-s

A nice shot but the caption says he is swimming in a lake.  No lake in photo, no pond and he isn't swimming.  You also have the keywords for geese and swan.  These will end up giving you false views and end up hurting your ranking.  You need to remove any keywords referring to water and other types of birds.

More keywords does not mean more sales. The right keywords mean more sales.

Jill

Jill

(+1 for that advice)

This is one of the ways in which I find Alamy measures useful.. when I see that one of my images is viewed but found with keyswords that don't make sense, I always take the opportunity to go back and update the keywords. It's always frustrating when the keywords you use are relevant to the image but can be used in an entity different picture (e.g. A Mum, Dad and child on a River bank but keeps being viewed with the search "bank of mum and dad".. and i live in Reading, Berkshire so I always have to think twice about adding the location to locally taken pictures to avoid false views around reading books).

You have to watch the keywording.  Lots of keywords that aren't really relevant to the image.

This one:

ruddy-shelduck-tadorna-ferruginea-male-s

A nice shot but the caption says he is swimming in a lake.  No lake in photo, no pond and he isn't swimming.  You also have the keywords for geese and swan.  These will end up giving you false views and end up hurting your ranking.  You need to remove any keywords referring to water and other types of birds.

Jill

Jill

(+1 for that advice)

This is one of the ways in which I find Alamy measures useful.. when I see that one of my images is viewed but found with keyswords that don't make sense, I always take the opportunity to go back and update the keywords. It's always frustrating when the keywords you use are relevant to the image but can be used in an entity different picture (e.g. A Mum, Dad and child on a River bank but keeps being viewed with the search "bank of mum and dad".. and i live in Reading, Berkshire so I always have to think twice about adding the location to locally taken pictures to avoid false views around reading books).

Matt, Jill! I am grateful for the help. Indeed, I have many gaps in this matter. I can't find an adequate resource that would help me with the key words, and those that use it, often issue such not exact words.
And that tell about the pictures? How to look the part, with fresh eyes?

Ok. In the case of animals including birds, reptiles and fish, identify your species. For instance, Canada goose. Go to Wikipedia American site in English and type in Canada goose. You'll get results that give you the scientific name. Very important keywords because some buyers will not search Canada goose, but will search by the scientific name.

Then use plurals. "Canada goose". "Canada geese". Keywords describing what the goose is doing.

Walking

Swimming

Preening/grooming

Sleeping

Fighting (another goose)

Mating

Choose the appropriate activity that your goose is doing only.

So if your goose is walking, you do not use the other activity keywords.

If the goose is swimming, say "swimming" then either:

Lake or pond or river can be used, but only the one that fits.

Then appropriate keywords that fit mammals and birds is:

Animal,animals

Also "wildlife" but don't use that keyword for domestic pets or farm animals

Then if your goose is only found in one specific area, list the location. Here in the US we have Prairie Dogs. Some countries or even states don't have them, so I list:

Oklahoma, US, USA, United States

Use Wikipedia for plants. If you don't know the name for your plant, you can't look it up. But if it is a tulip or other flower/plant you know, then go to Wikipedia and get the scientific name, then put in your location where the plant is growing.

If you see a plant or flower you do not know the name of, then don't photograph it. But if you know it is some type of daisy, then you can research to find out what kind of daisy it is. But until you get good at researching, I recommend not photographing it. An image named the wrong thing will hurt your credibility.

Hope this helps.

Ah, Phillippe beat me to it. Typing at the speed of light. ;)

If you don't master English very well, look up the subject in Wikipedia in your native language. Then, look if there's an English version of that page. Look for appropriate words which could be used as relevant keywords.

Another tip is to make strings of keywords which you can use for certain subjects. I have strings of words which are applicable for:

• buildings & monuments > a string for churches / a string for castles / lighthouses / World War One monuments / .......
  • birds > songbirds / birds of prey / ducks & geese / .....
  • mammals > rodents / deer / dogs / ......
  • people > walkers / cyclists / elderly / .....
  • etc...
  • etc...

All those strings are arranged in an excel file per category. All I have to do is copy the appropriate string, add some specific keywords (like flying, swimming, eating, ...) and voilà. Much less chance of making typos and it's a pretty fast workflow ;)

Cheers,

Philippe

Philippe! All genius is simple! Just an easy read, but realize .... I think follow the advice and make something like a table, hope this helps!
Thanks for the tip!

Ok. In the case of animals including birds, reptiles and fish, identify your species. For instance, Canada goose. Go to Wikipedia American site in English and type in Canada goose. You'll get results that give you the scientific name. Very important keywords because some buyers will not search Canada goose, but will search by the scientific name.

Then use plurals. "Canada goose". "Canada geese". Keywords describing what the goose is doing.

Walking

Swimming

Preening/grooming

Sleeping

Fighting (another goose)

Mating

Choose the appropriate activity that your goose is doing only.

So if your goose is walking, you do not use the other activity keywords.

If the goose is swimming, say "swimming" then either:

Lake or pond or river can be used, but only the one that fits.

Then appropriate keywords that fit mammals and birds is:

Animal,animals

Also "wildlife" but don't use that keyword for domestic pets or farm animals

Then if your goose is only found in one specific area, list the location. Here in the US we have Prairie Dogs. Some countries or even states don't have them, so I list:

Oklahoma, US, USA, United States

Use Wikipedia for plants. If you don't know the name for your plant, you can't look it up. But if it is a tulip or other flower/plant you know, then go to Wikipedia and get the scientific name, then put in your location where the plant is growing.

If you see a plant or flower you do not know the name of, then don't photograph it. But if you know it is some type of daisy, then you can research to find out what kind of daisy it is. But until you get good at researching, I recommend not photographing it. An image named the wrong thing will hurt your credibility.

Hope this helps.

Ah, Phillippe beat me to it. Typing at the speed of light. ;)

Betty! Very kind of you to give such detailed comments, make sure everyone and put ourselves on a wall, so the steps described and the main thing is understandable!
Thank you!
especially why the memorized Word-Mating...    :) 

Gennadii, when an earnest person like you is trying so hard to get it right, but struggling, you will usually find someone on the forum to offer advice. Glad I could help.

I know your biggest barrier is the language. I cannot in a million years imagine I could keyword in Russian.

Gennadii, when an earnest person like you is trying so hard to get it right, but struggling, you will usually find someone on the forum to offer advice. Glad I could help.

I know your biggest barrier is the language. I cannot in a million years imagine I could keyword in Russian.

Betty!
Your Board has received such a result keywords to a picture above-

animals, bird, birds, duck, ducks, europe, family, fauna, ferruginea, geese, goose, male, nature,  portrait, shelduck, tadorna, tadorninae, uk, waterfowl, wildlife

Miserable similarity searches is likely, but how to come up with more still not really reviewed.

Goose / geese is wrong: it's a duck. Shouldn't have family; I wouldn't call that a portrait. It hasn't ever been recorded wild in the UK, so I wouldn't put UK, but if you photographed it wild in Europe, that's fair enough. (There may be an argument that if you saw it in a collection in the UK, you should keyword it UK, but I wouldn't do that.

I sympathise with the horrors of having to keyword in a language other than your own. I couldn't do it with my rusty schoolgirl French.

If I were keywording that file, I'd put "Ruddy Shelduck", Shelduck, Tadorna ferruginea, Shelduck, duck, bird, "Brahminy duck", aggression, "Territorial defence", running, "head down", male, profile, wild, wildlife, nature, one, Tadorna, wildfowl, behaviour

I really don't know how you can overcome the language issues, it's going to be very difficult.

Here's another one:

sacred-ibis-G0WPAW.jpg

Your keywords are:

I see where you're coming from with some of these keywords, but not others.
The Egyptian god Thoth is indeed sometimes shown with an Ibis head, but the bird isn't a god, nor is it a symbol or symbolism or ancient.
I don't see anyone birdwatching, nor do I see a house, a branch, carrier, carrying or construction, or a mouth or a nest.
I'd keyword this:
"Sacred Ibis", "Threskiornis aethiopicus", Ibis, bird, flying, wildlife, nature, wild (if it was wild!), flight, one, tree, "selective focus", Threskiornis, Location details (if shot in the wild).

Betty!

animals, bird, birds, duck, ducks, europe, family, fauna, ferruginea, geese, goose, male, nature,  portrait, shelduck, tadorna, tadorninae, uk, waterfowl, wildlife

Miserable similarity searches is likely, but how to come up with more still not really reviewed.

I didn't mean your bird was a goose/geese. I only used a Canada goose as an example, since I didn't identify your bird. So please take out the keywords goose geese. All the other words were examples, also. Sorry if I confused you.

Goose / geese is wrong: it's a duck. Shouldn't have family; I wouldn't call that a portrait. It hasn't ever been recorded wild in the UK, so I wouldn't put UK, but if you photographed it wild in Europe, that's fair enough. (There may be an argument that if you saw it in a collection in the UK, you should keyword it UK, but I wouldn't do that.

I sympathise with the horrors of having to keyword in a language other than your own. I couldn't do it with my rusty schoolgirl French.

If I were keywording that file, I'd put "Ruddy Shelduck", Shelduck, Tadorna ferruginea, Shelduck, duck, bird, "Brahminy duck", aggression, "Territorial defence", running, "head down", male, profile, wild, wildlife, nature, one, Tadorna, wildfowl, behaviour

I really don't know how you can overcome the language issues, it's going to be very difficult.

Here's another one:

sacred-ibis-G0WPAW.jpg

Your keywords are:

I see where you're coming from with some of these keywords, but not others.
The Egyptian god Thoth is indeed sometimes shown with an Ibis head, but the bird isn't a god, nor is it a symbol or symbolism or ancient.
I don't see anyone birdwatching, nor do I see a house, a branch, carrier, carrying or construction, or a mouth or a nest.
I'd keyword this:
"Sacred Ibis", "Threskiornis aethiopicus", Ibis, bird, flying, wildlife, nature, wild (if it was wild!), flight, one, tree, "selective focus", Threskiornis, Location details (if shot in the wild).

Cryptoprocta!
Thank you very much for your insightful comments! I take this opportunity to take your key words, unless of course it's not going to be plagiarized from my side. Appreciate your understanding of my problem. A lot of work on this issue, but have not yet obtained a qualitatively acceptable exit option in Russia, apparently still no decent translator online that will satisfy this task, or I just can't find it.

Betty!

I didn't mean your bird was a goose/geese. I only used a Canada goose as an example, since I didn't identify your bird. So please take out the keywords goose geese. All the other words were examples, also. Sorry if I confused you.

Betty!
You won't confuse me, I understand that explained the principle itself of writing key words, most wanted to understand what logic adheres to the buyer with image search, and that it can interest any time soon. Can't even find a way on the Internet most popular search queries, or need to see General inquiries or requests exactly on Alamy?!
Thanks for the insight!

But I think you really need to invest in a good quality dictionary which you can install on your computer as I did (English is not my native language). They are quite expensive but worth every penny  ;)

Cheers,

Philippe

If you are a Mac user, the latest OS has a big range of top quality dictionaries available in the Dictionary app (comes with the OS). French has the Oxford-Hachette, Spanish has the Gran Diccionario Oxford. There is a Russian one as well which I presume would be if the same quality.

EDIT: Looks like the Russian one on my system is just Russian, not  Russian-English, so not much use I guess.

My advice to Gennadii for what it's worth would be keep it very simple - don't try conceptual keywords, just simple nouns that describe what is in the picture and the location where relevant.

Here are two on-line translating programs:

http://dictionary.reverso.net/russian-english/

http://en.pons.com/translate/russian-english

But I think you really need to invest in a good quality dictionary which you can install on your computer as I did (English is not my native language). They are quite expensive but worth every penny  ;)

Cheers,

Philippe

Philippe, as always valuable and essentially information! Thank you!

Cheers,

Philippe

If you are a Mac user, the latest OS has a big range of top quality dictionaries available in the Dictionary app (comes with the OS). French has the Oxford-Hachette, Spanish has the Gran Diccionario Oxford. There is a Russian one as well which I presume would be if the same quality.

EDIT: Looks like the Russian one on my system is just Russian, not  Russian-English, so not much use I guess.

My advice to Gennadii for what it's worth would be keep it very simple - don't try conceptual keywords, just simple nouns that describe what is in the picture and the location where relevant.

I use Windows 8 and there that don't watch anything good. Will look for more options, including try data Philippe. Thanks!

You might give this a try for generating keywords.  http://microstockgroup.com/tools/keyword.php  

You enter in whatever your subject is and it will give you a selection of photographs to choose from.  It then generates a list of keywords that you can pick from to copy and paste into the appropriate boxes or just type them in. 

This is the Home page http://www.microstockgroup.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=14394bca8d9a3490c37566d73feaba61;wwwRedirect

I never use all the words that are generated, sometimes I get other keyword ideas just from looking at the list, but it has been helpful.  There is also Google Translate that would let you enter keywords in your native language https://translate.google.com/

You might give this a try for generating keywords.  http://microstockgroup.com/tools/keyword.php  

You enter in whatever your subject is and it will give you a selection of photographs to choose from.  It then generates a list of keywords that you can pick from to copy and paste into the appropriate boxes or just type them in. 

This is the Home page http://www.microstockgroup.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=14394bca8d9a3490c37566d73feaba61;wwwRedirect

I never use all the words that are generated, sometimes I get other keyword ideas just from looking at the list, but it has been helpful.  There is also Google Translate that would let you enter keywords in your native language https://translate.google.com/

Johnnie5! Chic option keyword, now I will try to remedy the situation. I hope it will help me, and at least someone would notice my work!
By the way I want to ask the experts, what is meant by tsyfry in my column "Your Zooms" and how it affects sales, which do not have yet?

Archived