Car registration plates

I recently had the image below fail for noticeable retouching. I considered the number plates to be quite prominent and blurred them out.

From older threads on this subject I believe the onus is on the picture buyer to make the decision to blur or not to blur. I removed the blurring and re submitted the image.

D93MGF.jpg

Regards

Craig

Are there any restrictions about showing car registration plates? Should they be blurred or something?

Just check the box saying the image needs a property release and then check the box that says you don't have one. Make the image RM. 

Are there any restrictions about showing car registration plates? Should they be blurred or something?

Just check the box saying the image needs a property release and then check the box that says you don't have one. Make the image RM. 

Do we really need a PR for car number plates?

I have never obliterated them or ticked the box for "needs PR".

Allan

For the number plate as such? no

For the car? yes.....even if you 'own' the car, you don't 'own' the Intellectual Property in the car (design/logo etc). It's the IP that's the property that needs the release

km

The ASMP in the US (American Society of Media Photography) used to be the last word on these matters. They are less influential these days, as most unions and other advisory groups are. 

http://asmp.org/tutorials/using-property-releases.html#.UdLigxbuK61

I suggest you read the second paragraph in this piece; that is what I consider important out in the real world. When Alamy asks me "Does this image need a property release?" they are asking me to act as if I were an IP lawyer. I'm not. 

For the number plate as such? no

For the car? yes.....even if you 'own' the car, you don't 'own' the Intellectual Property in the car (design/logo etc). It's the IP that's the property that needs the release

km

Thank you km, I did know about PR for the vehicles themselves. It was just the way the thread was going that it sounded as though a PR might be needed for number plates.

Allan

I would imagine that 'personalised' number plates would need a PR.......they are, in themselves, objects of value

I err on the side of caution....just about any image i make contains some form of property....i always tick 'yes a release is needed' and the 'no release is available' boxes

km

I struggle to understand WHY it should be necessary to 'blur' something we see every day in their loads, and forget seconds later - are we paraniod.

I agree witk Keith - if it is a personal plate (and possibly illegal!!) then err on the side of caution but even then - just tick it as needing a PR (for commercial purposes) and state you don't have one. For the car and the personal plate are then accounted for.

nj

I'm assuming the issue is not that of ip as (said above) the number plate is nothing to do with property, it's more a case of identifying the person.

This in which case begs the Question. Do you blur every face in an image or do you just tick, needs a model release?

Archived