App for checking the best sun light conditions

At the end, tired of arriving in a new place to take picture of only to discover to be against  the sun light, I decided to buy an app helping me to know in advance the best sun light condition. I checked Google Play and discovered there are quite a few. Which one you use or which one you would recommend?

TPE is an excellent tool for for planning an outdoor shoot, even in familiar places as it gives such an accurate indication of the position of the sun and its angle of inclination at any date/time you select. :)  Now all I need is a tool which accurately  tells me how much cloud cover I'm going to encounter in the same place.   :(

They all look good - TPE not available in Japan, Photo Pills not available for Android... Sun Surveyor works here. Not seen this kind of app before and normally just estimate in my head based on Google maps. Nice toy to have to do away with occasional brain fade.

Thanks for your reviews guys!

TPE looks nice and also cheaper than other similar apps. What I like about Sun Surveyor is that you can see the place and sun position also directly through a photo I (think images  are related to Google Maps).

They all look good - TPE not available in Japan, Photo Pills not available for Android... Sun Surveyor works here. Not seen this kind of app before and normally just estimate in my head based on Google maps. Nice toy to have to do away with occasional brain fade.

antony-gormley-exposure-with-sunset-look

with TPE -desktop

seville-spain-seville-skyline-with-full-

Pure and utter coincidence for the moon not the viewpoint, that was TPE -app.

TPE is free for your desktop. (It's free because they want to use Google Maps features.)

I use both the app and the desktop version, but mainly for planning. Even like in: many months ahead.

I was very impressed by Photo Pills until I saw it was not for Android.

Sun Surveyor looked interesting too. I have used or tried to use one like that before, maybe it was Sun Surveyor even: cannot find it anymore, because either I didn't understand it or it didn't work and I deleted it.

I remember it was Russian, so that cancels out Sun Surveyor.

To determine the focal length, I use PlanIt - Android and IOS. And on Youtube.

Check out the Viewfinder mode and the Streetview mode.

Why is TPE not available in Japan? I cannot find that anywhere in their documentation.

wim

antony-gormley-exposure-with-sunset-look

with TPE -desktop

seville-spain-seville-skyline-with-full-

Pure and utter coincidence for the moon not the viewpoint, that was TPE -app.

TPE is free for your desktop. (It's free because they want to use Google Maps features.)

I use both the app and the desktop version, but mainly for planning. Even like in: many months ahead.

I was very impressed by Photo Pills until I saw it was not for Android.

Sun Surveyor looked interesting too. I have used or tried to use one like that before, maybe it was Sun Surveyor even: cannot find it anymore, because either I didn't understand it or it didn't work and I deleted it.

I remember it was Russian, so that cancels out Sun Surveyor.

Why is TPE not available in Japan? I cannot find that anywhere in their documentation.

wim

It's the Japan Google Play store - there are lots of apps that you can't get here. Twitter is just one example - you have to use a third-party system. Some problems with others too... What'sApp or whatever it's called fails too. Very odd and totally random! Shoganai!!! (It's the rules/the way it is - also means no ginger but hey!)

wim

Wow! That PlanIt program (App, whatever) is something else.  Incredibly well-thought-out; lots to it.  Installing now.  Thanks!  :)

wim

Wow! That PlanIt program (App, whatever) is something else.  Incredibly well-thought-out; lots to it.  Installing now.  Thanks!  :)

Yes, installed it - excellent!

Archived