Keywords...

Yes but you see I wouldn't personally know how to search for capitals

Goodness....

In the Alamy image search box, type a keyword (e.g. a major city name like "london") without using any capitals. Check how many images are returned. Now try the same search with appropriate capitalisation (e.g. "London"). You will find the same number or images returned. Try all in capitals if you like, or even with incorrect capitalisation. You will always find the same number of images returned, and I believe they appear in the same order. i.e. capitalisation makes no difference to the results from Alamy's search engine. Not sure if the same applies to the results from Bing, Google etc.

Thank you

• 1 month later...
Some questions might be the same for me and orhers

Antway I did a search for apple and Apple and had the exact same results

Yep, certainly the case for me.

I wasn't sure how to keyword and since I'm probably going to get mostly archive sales, I figure I should read up on the keywording.

Basically, I wasn't sure whether to use:

Jo Cox Tribute

"Jo Cox Tribute"

'Jo Cox Tribute'

<keyword>, Jo Cox Tribute, <keyword>

I went for <keyword>, Jo Cox Tribute, <keyword>. I figured to actually check as I may have lost those photos, but I didn't want to then lose future work.

Anyway, thanks to author of this topic and, to the others who have given advice/contributions (Betty LaRue had was the most helpful for me, so thanks).

Some questions might be the same for me and orhers

Antway I did a search for apple and Apple and had the exact same results

Yep, certainly the case for me.

I wasn't sure how to keyword and since I'm probably going to get mostly archive sales, I figure I should read up on the keywording.

Jo Cox Tribute

"Jo Cox Tribute"

'Jo Cox Tribute'

I went for <keyword>, Jo Cox Tribute, <keyword>. I figured to actually check as I may have lost those photos, but I didn't want to then lose future work.

Anyway, thanks to author of this topic and, to the others who have given advice/contributions (Betty LaRue had was the most helpful for me, so thanks).

Make sure you put Jo Cox MP tribute death and the town you took it in into the essential keywords. Don't keyword "Jo Cox tribute" in brackets, but rather "Jo Cox" and tribute. 

Jo Cox Tribute

"Jo Cox Tribute"

'Jo Cox Tribute'

Make sure you put Jo Cox MP tribute death and the town you took it in into the essential keywords. Don't keyword "Jo Cox tribute" in brackets, but rather "Jo Cox" and tribute. 

Sure. I used the following tags...

Jo Cox MP, Jo Cox, Helen Joanne 'Jo' Cox MP, Society, People, Candlelight Vigil, Vigil, Tribute, Mourning, Public Mourning, Solidarity, Solidarity Event, Memorial, Memorial Event, Tribute Event. Plus things like the name of the speaker, the position of the speaker (Angela Rayner, Angela Rayner MP, Member of Parliament etc or Julie Ward, Julie Ward MEP, Member of European Parliament etc).

I would have used 'death' as a had I photographed the crime scene. However, I was reporting the tribute event rather than the actual death of the MP. It seems implicit in the nature of the event that a death has prompted this.

I've just done a little test on the search thing. The tags work.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi everyone, 

I'm new to this and I just uploaded photos yesterday and didn't "caption" so not sure how to go about the whole thing. What should I do just leave it?

I didn't realise you had to caption your photos. 

Sinead 

You need a caption so the viewer knows what he's looking at. Remember the caption is also searchable, so describe carefully what you see in the picture. Work around that caption to select your RELEVANT keywords.

Personally, I add captions and keywords in Bridge FIRST before uploading. That way, the work is done once for several agencies. If you do it after QC in Manage Images and after a while you decide to submit those images also to other agencies (Alamy is NOT exclusive) then you have to redo all that work.

Cheers,

Philippe

Yes! That's the way I work. I also have many templates set up for commonly shot images. For instance: American Robin, I'll have: American Robin,American Robins, Turdus Migratorus,songbird,songbirds,bird,birds,animal,animals,avian,wildlife,day,daytime,nobody,outdoors,(location). I'll apply that template to my images in Bridge then add any other relevant words like perched, worms,eating,singing or whatever, season.

I am one who likes it when people post questions that can easily be looked up, because often, it forces other questions and dialog and during that process, people learn things they never thought about before.

I agree and replies like the one you are referring to are unnecesary and unhelpful really, most things can be answered by 'googling' but if that was the only correct way to do it then forums like this would be fairly sterile places.

Disagree . . . and as I steadfastly refuse to dole out cowards' arrows, I'll explain why.

First up, and I'm assuming it's my post that's pushed your button, I never once suggested using Google, so we can dismiss that argument.

However, my response ultimately did prove to be most necessary and helpful .  . . I suggested testing the use of capitals as, I believe, it would be quicker to do a test than ask here and wait for a reply . . . and guess what? The person I suggested that to did exactly that and got his answer . . . luckily too, as the forum still hasn't answered.

You know, when it's obvious someone is truly misunderstanding something despite trying to do otherwise, and/or trying to educate themselves with their own effort (as against feeding off the efforts of others), then I at least will (and so very often have) assist . . . as I did to the OP of this thread. 

It's a bit like the folk who post the most basic questions here without bothering to RTFM . . . they usually get, and I hope will continue to get, short shrift.

dd

Yes but you see I wouldn't personally know how to search for capitals and in fact I was wondering the importance of using capitals in keywords just the other day. If your reply had stated how to test this yourself it would have been more helpful even if this is very basic. Regarding the use of red arrows though, I never have hit that button.

In simple terms: Alamy's search engine is not case sensitive. I and most contributors use upper and lower case in captions. They read better that way. 

Archived