No update today?

As Mark said it's a UK Bank Holiday. A lot of businesses are closed. shops are either closed or run on reduced hours and public transport is scaled back. It's like a national Holiday. There are 8 per year including the public holidays of Christmas Day and Easter Day.

Just for curiosity, why the update has to be stopped during weekends and bank holidays? Is it should be running automatically, or the servers need some rests?

It seems that they like somebody to push the button(s). Perhaps the procedure is a series of actions - and/or will have to be monitored and perhaps rerun.

Disappointed no boxing matches were scheduled for the day. I had to remind myself of why it is called Boxing Day. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boxing_Day

A substitute bank holiday - that wouldn't be given in my country. Just too bad, if the holiday is on a Sunday or Saturday. But quite apprehensible when knowing the origin of the day.

Yes, I looked up the meaning of Boxing Day a couple of hours ago. Hehe, I thought it must have something to do with olde time boxing matches. NOT.

Do people celebrate it the way it was meant in days of old by giving gifts to those who serve them?

Yup, I take the time to round up all of the servants and give them each a handsome present. Doesn't cost me much...

:)

Actually in more modern times it could have become the day to recognise annd appreciate the job bus drivers, cleaners at public places, etc. (even ticket writing car park attendants) do more than we do in the everyday life.... I don't suppose that it has been turned into this attention?

- Most of them wouldn't be working on this day, I guess? Or it would send a wrong signal?

Yes, I looked up the meaning of Boxing Day a couple of hours ago. Hehe, I thought it must have something to do with olde time boxing matches. NOT.

Do people celebrate it the way it was meant in days of old by giving gifts to those who serve them?

If people today gave gifts to those who served them, my hubbie would owe me a bundle of boxes.  :D

Jill

Archived