I made 1 sale back in 2009 and it hasnt quite reached the magic 175 $ required for payment. Now this was 2009 what if i dont ever make another sale....?  I'am no longer a practicing photographer and dont have any other images to upload. Does this mean i will never be paid ?

Has anybody else been in this situation ?

Can anybody help ?

thanks in advance

Why should one have to de-register before payment to the CONTRIBUTOR WHO HAS CONTRIBUTED TO ALAMY'S BOTTOM LINE be paid??? Yes, I know we signed up to this but just re-read the OP and think on... I, for one think it is iniquitous that prices are dropping so low yet this has no impact on the current ruling. It is quite conceivably an unenforceable term in the "contract" and I for one will be writing in about it (rather than just moaning on here).

PS - Alamy have derived benefit from that helping income since 2009 - the photographer who was the source of that income still has NOT had any money - come on!!!

:)

I do think there might be payment of sums that have been sitting in Alamy's coffers for a certain amount of time. A year? Two years? Perhaps if a contributor has gone a full year or two without a payout the money they have earned could be paid. Makes sense to me.

Paulette

I agree with Nick. I believe the payment threshold is set too high and it was a question submitted to the CEO.

Other libraries:

Getty: $50; £50 or 50€

Robert Harding: £50

Shutterstock: $75

Dreamstime: $100

Fotolia: $50

Pond5: no minimum as far as I'm aware

IStockPhoto: $100

123RF: $50

Come on Alamy. You are way TOO high against some of the other major players out there. In this day and age, electronic transactions costs a pittance.

Especially since single figure licences or low double figure licenses are starting to be the norm!  I wish I could tell my utility company that I shouldn't pay their bill until I reach triple figures!  

Sheila

Indeed, having a 150€ treshold or whatever isn't a big deal if the average sale brings you 150€, but with 5€ a deal... that hurts... and if you then even have several months between two sales... Well, then you're giving big presents to Alamy... Or no, no big presents, but many many small ones!

Actually Alamy lowered the threshold a while back when there was a lot of discussion about it on the forum. I think it was also suggested at that time that there should be a payout after a certain amount of time even if the threshold is not reached. For someone like the OP a lowering of the limit might not be enough. We now not only have a lowering of prices but we get a smaller percentage so it takes more and more time to reach the threshold.

Paulette

I have another idea. Maybe it would be too big a change for Alamy to automatically make a payout to everyone who hasn't been paid for a year. Perhaps there could be a policy that allows us to ask for a payout after a certain amount of time no matter what is in our account. It occurs to me that this discussion is taking place in the wrong section of the forum. I'm going to start it down in the suggestions for Alamy section.

Paulette

In my opinion Paulette I think you've got it spot on.  I actually quite like the higher than average payment threshold (as highlighted by Jools) - for contributors who sell lots they most likely pass this threshold most months anyway so it becomes irrelevant, but for occasional sellers like myself it doesn't really matter if I get $50 every 6 months or $175 every 18 months - in fact I prefer the latter as it's a nicer reward which I don't just fritter away.

But I do agree that the option should be available to withdraw funds if no new sales have occured in a particular timeframe, say 12 months, to avoid the situation the OP described.

Neville

I agree with Nick. I believe the payment threshold is set too high and it was a question submitted to the CEO.

Other libraries:

Come on Alamy. You are way TOO high against some of the other major players out there. In this day and age, electronic transactions costs a pittance.

Not quite the same, but add Fine Art America: What sells one month you are paid the next no matter what the value.

Allan

I expect Alamy would lower the threshold if we all agreed to pay the handling fees again.

Why should there be a handling fee? Really, in this day and age such things shouldn't be covered by the people who are contributing the work that feeds Alamy. They already shaved off 10% from our share of the cut so why exactly should we have to have more taken from our cut of things?

I suspect the current $175 minimum has more to do with the time it takes Alamy to process payments. Lower the threshold and there could be two or three times as many photographers to pay. 

Some agencies prefer to close out their books every year or so, paying photographers whether they've actually met the threshold or not. Since John only appears to have 19 images online and doesn't plan to contribute any more perhaps he should contact Member Services to see if they can work something out.

Other libraries:

Pond5 :  $25 minimum.

Archived