Editing on the move

Very soon I hope to be starting an extended roadtrip. By extended, I actually mean open ended. I will have no option but to edit and upload whilst on the road. This will be, hopefully, for at least two years, all being well then more. What laptop would you recommend is the best/fit for purpose? Smallest and lightest that would fit the bill. I am thinking cloud storage and poss burn to disk and post to safe location, I don't think it is going to be feesible to carry hard drives around as well as everything else. Although it would be possible to store my existing pc and moniter somewhere and return every few months for a few weeks of editing, I would really rather not, I would like to just keep on the move. Thank you.

And before anyone asks. No, I am not going on the run :)

I would recommend surface pro 3, It has great battery life: i get about (3 days without doing anything intensive). On full brightness, bridge and photoshop running i get around 5-10hrs.

Also a screen calibrator for it (if you haven't already got one) It has a nasty slight yellow tint.

If you can get the i7 model, i would highly advise of that. It has a far better CPU and video card compared to the i3 and i5.

However, the i7 does have a heat issue; which can affect it. The screen becomes hot and the right hand side of it will stop working it just needs a cool down for 10mins. (Only happened to me a couple of time since i've owned it from day one)

George, you haven't said how you are traveling. Are you jumping on and off jets with only cabin luggage, or driving and sleeping in a car, or riding a mountain bike into the wild? Or walking, maybe? And you don''t hint as to where you're going, the British countryside, the rain forests of Cambodia, or the middle of the Middle East? And I don't see that the newer, smaller portable HDs take up more room than a box of disks. 

Here's another thing that could save you time, work and space: stop uploading so many similars. Does the market near 10 to 15 shots of the same pig's face? Aim for three, and make one a vertical. 

How will I be travelling?

Starting out with a car, carrying a bike, also a tent. Sometimes the car will be left in one location. No doubt my travels will include aeroplanes at some point, and I would like to remain completely fluid, starting where I live, Portugal, and ending up ?????? My daughter lives in the Middle East so I have no doubt that will be included in there somewhere. My son lives in England, again, to be included. I spent a few years, many moons ago, back packing, I have friends all over the world and quite frankly its about time I saw them again. I have no set plans, up and go, get where it takes me.

Therefore, limited baggage is I feel most appropriate.

I should clarify this is not a "fill my boots with stock" journey, but that will be an aside. I am not naive enough to think it will make me rich or even fund my travels, but it may help along the way.

Ed, I thank you for you critique, it is probably (I think) about the only time I have uploaded so many 'similars'.

Thank you Patriotic Alien for the further recommendation.

That was not a critique, George -- I would not assume to take that liberty. It was a tip and just reminding you of something Alamy themselves say in the text on submissions: http://www.alamy.com/contributor/help/prepare-images.asp

And you're right. You have not got a lot of similars on your earlier pages. 

Be safe on your travels.

Edo

I have heard good things about the Microsoft Surface Pro 3 - it's small, powerful and has a good screen?

Thank you, I have just had a read of the reviews on Amazon and looks promising.

I think the Surface is fantastic (on the paper, I haven't use one. I want to buy one for the wife but she's a mac-girl...)

Just keep in mind that tablets usually don't power card readers or external hard drives through their USB ports, so you'll need to use card readers and HHDD that have their own power source (I'm not sure this is the case with the Surface)

I wouldn't rely on cloud storage too much, unless you are sure you will be somewhere long enough (and with free wifi) to back up. I tried this on a 3 month trip last year and found that it was much slower than I anticipated. It only happened once, but I did lose some images from 1 day that I thought had backed up. In hindsight, I wish I had carried a hard drive. There are some quite small LaCie ones which have large capacity, and are quite rugged. I wound up having to buy a couple of USBs when I was out of free wifi range, and memory cards were full.

Thank you everyone for further input. It certainly gives me more to investigate. Having been a user of soley pc's for 'work' it is a little bit of a minefield for me, so I appreciate your input.

The Surface Pro 4 is due to come out in October and it looks like it is worth waiting just to see what Microsoft comes up with.  Some are saying the price will be lower and it may be fanless which will improve battery life.  https://www.google.com/search?q=microsoft+surface+pro+4&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

Love my Macbook Pro Retina - the 13" screen is big enough to edit on when I'm on the road and it's light as a feather - powerful and you can now get them with a 1TB SSD. The LaCie orange hard drives are light and durable and given that wifi on the road can sometimes be painfully slow, you'll probably want at least a 1 TB additional hard drive space for backups when you can't upload to the cloud.

Sounds like an amazing plan - have a wonderful time!

Thank you Johnnie and Marianne. Its all in the early 'planning' stages at the moment, like selling belongings, house etc but I am determined to do it. My daughter has the Macbook so will interrogate her when she visits in a couple of weeks. Hopefully she will bring it with her. I will let you into a little secret, I am actually a mid fifties, now single woman, but am not going to let that stop me.

Thanks again

Archived