As an all in one solution, it looks promising:

https://luminous-landscape.com/canon-g3x-review/

http://www.techradar.com/us/reviews/cameras-and-camcorders/cameras/compact-cameras/canon-g3-x-1297064/review

If you search for it on flickr, there are quite a few images most look quite good. Not too thrilled about the lack of a built in viewfinder, but it seems to be a sacrifice for compactness and there is an add on EVF available. When the price drops, if it doesn't somehow end up on the unsuitable list (with the small sensored G15 and 16 on the recommended list, how likely is this?), maybe I'll bite. 

I believe small sensor cameras, such as 1/2.3, usually end up on Alamy's unsuitable list. But I could be wrong.

Allan

I have been searching for reviews test etc on the G3X,  so far nothing has made me hungry for this camera, the 24 to 600mm is impressive for what would be a nice carry around,  so far to my knowledge there is no software that supports the G3X apart from Canon's own, e.g. DXO has nothing as yet.

I feel it is a financial risk at the moment for Alamy stock shooting because it is not on the accepted list.

The big against for me is the lack of viewfinder,  and paying a 3rd of the price of the camera for the EVF is over the top,  i also cannot imagine hand holding at 600mm looking at the display screen and getting a sharp image.

My recommendation would be to wait for real world field reviews before taking the plunge,  hopefully You Tube will have something in the near future.

Paul.

I believe small sensor cameras, such as 1/2.3, usually end up on Alamy's unsuitable list. But I could be wrong.

Allan

The G3X has a Sony 1 inch sensor. The same one that the RX10 has.

I have been searching for reviews test etc on the G3X, so far nothing has made me hungry for this camera, the 24 to 600mm is impressive for what would be a nice carry around, so far to my knowledge there is no software that supports the G3X apart from Canon's own, e.g. DXO has nothing as yet.

I feel it is a financial risk at the moment for Alamy stock shooting because it is not on the accepted list.

The big against for me is the lack of viewfinder, and paying a 3rd of the price of the camera for the EVF is over the top, i also cannot imagine hand holding at 600mm looking at the display screen and getting a sharp image.

My recommendation would be to wait for real world field reviews before taking the plunge, hopefully You Tube will have something in the near future.

Paul.

I imagine that by the time the price starts to come down, there will be plenty of reviews. So far the only camera with a 1 inch sensor on the unsuitable list is the Panansonic FZ1000 and I think that's probably a lens issue as it also uses a Sony 1 inch sensor. Time will tell.

Allan

The G3X has a Sony 1 inch sensor. The same one that the RX10 has.

Appologies. I misread the information on Luminous.

Allan

Interesting that Canon is using a Sony sensor. I hopped from Canon to Sony partly because of the better sensors. I wonder if they will find their way into Canon's DSLRs? 

This weekend I took some shots at the Sunderland Air Show and the only camera lens combination in my possession with sufficient range was an aged Canon 450D and even older Sigma 100-300 f4 (480 equivalent FF). This little GX3 might have been a better tool, while it would certainly have been a lot more convenient to carry on my Brompton bike!

I have been searching for reviews test etc on the G3X, so far nothing has made me hungry for this camera, the 24 to 600mm is impressive for what would be a nice carry around, so far to my knowledge there is no software that supports the G3X apart from Canon's own, e.g. DXO has nothing as yet.

The big against for me is the lack of viewfinder, and paying a 3rd of the price of the camera for the EVF is over the top, i also cannot imagine hand holding at 600mm looking at the display screen and getting a sharp image.

My recommendation would be to wait for real world field reviews before taking the plunge, hopefully You Tube will have something in the near future.

Paul.

I imagine that by the time the price starts to come down, there will be plenty of reviews. So far the only camera with a 1 inch sensor on the unsuitable list is the Panansonic FZ1000 and I think that's probably a lens issue as it also uses a Sony 1 inch sensor. Time will tell.

No disrespect to canon's lens making capabilities but if the panasonic FZ1000 25-400mm lens doesn't cut it I doubt a 24-600mm will. I'm prepared to be proved wrong though

No disrespect to canon's lens making capabilities but if the panasonic FZ1000 25-400mm lens doesn't cut it I doubt a 24-600mm will. I'm prepared to be proved wrong though

As nice as it would be to have such a camera as a walk around, i think that 24-600mm would be stretching QC,  and not only here with Alamy. 

I am still searching for real field test reviews and final comments with no luck so far,  IQ is the most important aspect, however AF speed / noise issues / degree of sharpness at the long end and lack of light fall off etc, have to be good.

If the G3X meets professional QC expectations then Canon has a winner, if only as a carry around,  time will tell.

The Nikon 610 has a very long zoom, too, and the images I saw with it were very good, even at the long end which if I remember right, is 600mm. The only problem is it doesn't shoot RAW. I didn't get a chance to look at them at 100%, though. I only chimped them. And the camera isn't that small. Too bad it doesn't shoot RAW.

The Sony RX10 sounds like a better bet to me. I believe there's a new model out, so perhaps there are some deals to be found on the original one.

As an RX10 owner (the original) I would agree with that. This G3X seems arrogantly ambitious, on the verge of illogical -- I mean, do you need a smaller, lighter camera or not? Of course my Zeiss 24-200 with the set f/2.8 might not be long enough for some. But If I wanted that much reach, I'd go for a light RX Nikon DSLR.

I've had only one occasional problem with the RX10: I have to pay attention to the autofocus. 

Archived