OS X El Capitan beta

I see the beta version of Apple's new OS X is out for download in beta form for suckers to test it out for Apple instead of them sorting it out for themselves again as with Yosemite.

I am still on Mavericks and will wait with interest to see what transpires before official rollout.

Not too keen on taking it on myself after the problems with Yosemite.

As long as my system keeps running without problems on Mavericks I will wait.

Allan

I only upgraded to Yosemite a few weeks ago.  I must say that I think it is great and I have not encountered any disadvantages so far but perhaps the teething problems had been sorted by then.

Pearl

I also have Yosemite and have had no problems. I only got it a few months ago, though.

I have no intention of downloading the El Capitan beta; I'll let the geeks do the testing. I wouldn't necessarily call them suckers, though. Apple always release betas of their software to developers for testing. It's just a new policy to release public betas. If your the type who wants to get an early look at a new release its a good way of doing it, if you have a spare machine to download it to.

Perhaps "suckers" is the wrong word. The main thought was why don't Apple fully test their programming before releasing it to the general public?

Would anyone buy a new motor vehicle if they were told that they needed to test it themselves to ensure it was safe to take on the roads?  I think not.

Allan

Perhaps "suckers" is the wrong word. The main thought was why don't Apple fully test their programming before releasing it to the general public?

Would anyone buy a new motor vehicle if they were told that they needed to test it themselves to ensure it was safe to take on the roads?  I think not.

Allan

It's a fair point.  I guess Apple know they have a large fanbase.  People who will be keen enough to want to see and use new software as soon as they can, and Apple want to tap into that.  

The benefit to those like you and I is that the software gets more testing (and the more software is tested before a general release, the better) and so is less buggy when the general release finally arrives.  They probably want to reduce the number of people who wait until at least the first update before downloading as well.

If a car manufacturer offered free cars to drive around in for a few months to test it out before deciding to buy, my guess is they would get a fair number of takers.

I see the beta version of Apple's new OS X is out for download in beta form for suckers to test it out for Apple instead of them sorting it out for themselves again as with Yosemite.

I am still on Mavericks and will wait with interest to see what transpires before official rollout.

Not too keen on taking it on myself after the problems with Yosemite.

As long as my system keeps running without problems on Mavericks I will wait.

Allan

After the initial wifi and email problems, Yosemite is working rather well. I had more problems with the first release of Mavericks.

As for El Capitan, I'll think I'll wait a couple of weeks or so after the first proper release. Need to see the first hand reports first from the brave souls on the front line!!

A big chunk fell off Half Dome the other day so El Capitan might be unstable for a bit too

:D  :)

Goes without saying.

Allan

Thank you for all your comments.

One thing I need to know, not having upgraded to a new mac os in the past, is it necessary to download each one as it arrives or can one or two upgrades of OS be missed before loading the newest.

e.g.: Go from Mavericks direct to El Capitan without downloading Yosemite?

Allan

One thing I need to know, not having upgraded to a new mac os in the past, is it necessary to download each one as it arrives or can one or two upgrades of OS be missed before loading the newest.

Allan

You don't need to download each one. When you upgrade it basically starts a fresh from the one you have. I'd imagine it downloads the full OS, deletes the old and installs the new rather than adding updated files to the existing one. The only thing it will keep is your applications and settings which are held separate from the OS and not integrated to it like Windows. 

Allan

You don't need to download each one. When you upgrade it basically starts a fresh from the one you have. I'd imagine it downloads the full OS, deletes the old and installs the new rather than adding updated files to the existing one. The only thing it will keep is your applications and settings which are held separate from the OS and not integrated to it like Windows. 

Thanks Duncan. That is a relief.

Allan

The safest way to upgrade is to make a full backup of your system (Time Machine is perfect for the job) on to an external drive. Then you can restore the back up system if you don't like the new one.

Your fears of Yosemite are very probably unfounded Allan. I've been running it on my two machines almost since day 1 with no issues. The voices of those who do have problems tend to sound inordinately loud. If things are working, then people don't tend to report that. - human nature. All new systems will be problematic for some people but a major advantage of using Macs is that the basic hardware is all Apple and the system is designed specially for that. Problems may be more likely to arise on old machines.

I went from Mountain Lion to Yosemite and skipped Mavericks.

Yosemite has been working for me with no major show stoppers. One legacy program not supported but that was fixed via some advice on a Forum.

It is a pain upgrading OS generally and getting things back to how you like them. I would sit tight and wait for El Capitan to come out of Beta. It's not a 'major release' it's more of an under the hood release where things are streamlined and improved. (Much like Leopard to Snow Leopard).

Michael

Thank you MDM and Michael.

I already have Time Machine running as well as cloning the whole system onto a separate drive once a week. You have restored my faith in OS X somewhat.

Will wait to download El Capitan at least until one or two months after official release.

Allan

Thank you MDM and Michael.

I already have Time Machine running as well as cloning the whole system onto a separate drive once a week. You have restored my faith in OS X somewhat.

Will wait to download El Capitan at least until one or two months after official release.

Allan

That's probably the best way. By then, someone will have already found the main problems and generally, posted a fix (which is often a tweak of the settings somewhere). In the end, the wifi issues was an easy fix and was just a couple of changes to the settings.

Archived