OK, so I'm not entirely sure I get the whole lightbox thing or how it helps a seller, but it probably wouldn't hurt for me to make a few lightboxes, one for "wildlife", one for "people" and one for "travel" for example.  In the past, I'd click for each image to go to my one and only lightbox, which wasn't even named at the time, but recently I haven't been putting my new images into that lightbox.  I now have about 300 newer images that aren't in a lightbox and I thought I'd put them into one but I can't recall how to do it. 

Help.  If I go into "manage images" and hover over a thumbnail, I don't get any drop down or choice to add to a lightbox.  I tried putting those 300 images into a batch but I still don't know what to do from there.  As I recall, it's really simply and you just hover over your image and get your drop down choice to add to a lightbox but from what screen do you do so?  Thanks in advance.

Good question.  I guess I'm moving them because the lightboxes are available on Alamy and I think I should, but why should I?  <_<

I've never bothered with lightboxes because they seem more useful for buyers, but perhaps I'm missing something. Wouldn't be the first time.

I think they are designed for buyers, not sellers, but I do categorize my images in them simply because if I want to make changes in keywords I can just go in to that group of images and make the changes. 

Jill

As far as I remember Alamy removed the possibility to use lightboxes for contributors for a short time a few years ago, but it was reintroduced pretty fast - or the limitation never came into force. They may have seen the advantage of the extra and nearly free direct exposure to key customers.

It sure is a useful tool for contributors, either to send to customers, as Philippe mentions, or to use on websites.

This question has no doubt been asked (many times) before, but does anyone know if lightbox images show up in Google searches?

Tineye appears to trawl the Alamy catalogue, but, in my experience, Google does not. I don't know if having images in a Lightbox makes any difference.

This question has no doubt been asked (many times) before, but does anyone know if lightbox images show up in Google searches?

Tineye appears to trawl the Alamy catalogue, but, in my experience, Google does not. I don't know if having images in a Lightbox makes any difference.

I have seen them.

Try Googling "your name" Alamy. I've tried it with others so it's not just showing mine because I'm logged in.

I have seen them.

Try Googling "your name" Alamy. I've tried it with others so it's not just showing mine because I'm logged in.

I don't have any lightboxes, so I can't try this at the moment.

I have seen them.

Mark

I've tried that too, and it finds textual stuff which may include an image, for example from this forum, and it does find a link to my entire collection, but Tineye will find specific images within the catalogue. 

Here's a typical example. 

This is a link to a typical DM article http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2983617/The-villages-stuffed-millionaires-East-Horsley-named-hottest-spot-wealthy-buyers-42-homes-sold-1million-past-two-years.html

and this is what Tineye finds from the Alamy credited photo within  http://www.alamy.com/image-details-popup.asp?imageid={38464144-CCD6-48AC-B24F-4FF32378EE82} 

i.e the specific image from within the web based article. Google finds further references to the article, from copycat publishers, but not the location of the image within the Alamy catalogue.

Apologies for drifting further away from the Lightbox topic, but I find that the two reverse image search  engines have different strengths.

If you are wanting to search for usages of your own photos by doing a reverse image search on a picture within your collection, both Tineye and Google will do this, but I find Google to be  better.

If you are searching for a specific Alamy image from within a newspaper website, Tineye wins hands down, as it often finds a link to the specific Alamy page (not to mention those of big G and various other agencies). This is a relatively recent phenomenon, it has been getting steadily better over the past 6 months or so. A word of caution, it occasionally finds a very similar but slightly different image, but this is not a regular occurrence. To date, I've not seen Google being able to search within the catalogue in this way.

Archived