How do you use Catalogs and Collections in Lightroom

I use one catalogue for all my images which reside in multiple folders based on high-level location (e.g. England, Ireland, Spain). I use folders only for ease of back-up. I have detailed location info in the metadata (xmp for raw files and embed directly in images for psd and jpeg. I use smart collections based on various criteria held in the metadata or keywords (e.g. Alamy, Spain, Black and White etc) to find images as well as the Lightroom filter system which is pretty good. 

Like the above - all images in one catalogue

But many collections some smart some not; including - images ready be to upload to alamy, images wait for QC, images passed QC waiting key wording then finally images on sale.

Have you seen the LR Alamy Picture Manager - well worth the money as a plugin.

I asked a similar question some while ago and the concensus appeared to be one catalogue, which is what I now use. So far so good.

Be careful with the collections as, if you delete an image from a collection you don't delete it from your catalogue or disc. Some kind body did post a useful multi-key command to get around this, ( wrote it down and then lost the piece of paper!) but I just stopped using collections when I found myself wasting time over this.

Maybe a good idea for grouping images once the initial sorting, deleting and processing have been carried out, but, if you keyword in LR, you can find images quickly enough without the need for a collection.

I asked a similar question some while ago and the concensus appeared to be one catalogue, which is what I now use. So far so good.

Be careful with the collections as, if you delete an image from a collection you don't delete it from your catalogue or disc. Some kind body did post a useful multi-key command to get around this, ( wrote it down and then lost the piece of paper!) but I just stopped using collections when I found myself wasting time over this.

Maybe a good idea for grouping images once the initial sorting, deleting and processing have been carried out, but, if you keyword in LR, you can find images quickly enough without the need for a collection.

Smart collections are way better - you can't delete or remove an image from a smart collection unless you change the criteria in the keywords or other metadata. Essentially they are saved searches which permit very rapid image finding.

Thanks for the info, I now use quick collection while editing then export 100% JPEG, and upload.  Usually wait till they clear then clear quick collection and start over.  This seems to work fine just didn't know if I was missing something.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived