woo hoo first sale on alamy....

Sadly I don't think I will get much out of it though, I only really got serious about uploading to Alamy around Christmas after getting fed up with the micro site's I have been submitting to.

I have been trying to build my portfolio slowly with a fair bit of different content and to be honest didn't expect a sale quite yet, from the info that I have I gather it was used in April but has only just shown up ( I gather this is normal ) and looking back the image was zoomed shortly before ..

The sale shows as this, I know it is a bit late now but is there any way of finding out where it went. ( I know it wont be worth much, but it sure feels good)

Thanks, Steve.

Usage: Editorial
Media: Newspaper - national
Print run: up to 2 million
Placement: Inside and online
Image Size: 1/4 page
Start: 01 April 2013
End: 02 April 2013

Congratulations on your first sale! Good feeling isn't it?

It was the custom on the old forum to buy the other forum members a drink....Mine's a pint!... :)

The most likely place for your image from those sales figures is the Daily Mail - if so, bad luck - you may well gross only $7-8

You are right - it will have been used about 3mths ago

if you let us know which image it was someone may have seen it

Congrats again

Kumar Sriskandan

I have only been on a few months no sales as yet, so you don't get email as soon as a sale is made

Hi Southpole

You dont get an e-mail when a sale is made - its up to you to look in the "Images sold" section in your "My Alamy" page, where the sale(s) will appear!

Kumar Sriskandan

Thanks Southpole and Doc, it may not be much but it is a start ( anyway it gives me more hope than microstock has for a long time..where I sell loads get little ) anyway Doc here is the image.

Steve

D49P4F.jpg

If it has been reported then surely the fee is quoted?

Yes it shows a fee of $20.28 I am not sure how much I get out of it, but was more interested where it ended up.

I believe the threshold is $175 cleared funds. Better than the $250 it used to be till a couple of years ago.

Good photo by the way - and very relevant to the news re bees these days! $20 is unlikely to be the Daily Fail...

Kumar Sriskandan

I have only been on a few months no sales as yet, so you don't get email as soon as a sale is made

Hi Southpole

You dont get an e-mail when a sale is made - its up to you to look in the "Images sold" section in your "My Alamy" page, where the sale(s) will appear!

Kumar Sriskandan

Thanks for that Kumar thoughj it means i not sold any . Though my CTR gone up to 0.63 is that good or bad ?

Hi Southpole

Kumar Sriskandan

Thanks for that Kumar thoughj it means i not sold any . Though my CTR gone up to 0.63 is that good or bad ?

The average on Alamy last month was 0.53 - so above average!

John

Yes it shows a fee of $20.28 I am not sure how much I get out of it, but was more interested where it ended up.

$10..14 will be showing in your account balance but it will not clear for 45 days and in any case you won't see it until the month after you clear $175.

Actually, it would be quite nice if Alamy did send news of a first sale, perhaps by telegram, like the queen when granny reaches her 100th. It is a special moment so it's worth the fanfare.

Best wishes for many more,

Richard.

Try a google image search (drop a low res image file onto their search page) - if it made it online you may well see it come up - you might also see other versions used illegally !!! 

My record to date is one image with six legal uses and just over a thousand illegal ones......

Congratulations !

Try a google image search (drop a low res image file onto their search page) - if it made it online you may well see it come up - you might also see other versions used illegally !!! 

My record to date is one image with six legal uses and just over a thousand illegal ones......

Congratulations !

My experience also. Not sure there is anything we can do about it unless the illegal sites are substantial, ie. avoid bloggers, they don't pay and probably can't anyway.

Ken

I made my first sale in January. It was a good feeling, but I've always wondered where the image was used. I've used different search terms in Google (assuming it was used online) but no luck. I know Alamy has user confidentiality in place but it would be nice to know.

Actually, it would be quite nice if Alamy did send news of a first sale, perhaps by telegram, like the queen when granny reaches her 100th. It is a special moment so it's worth the fanfare.

Best wishes for many more,

Richard.

Cheers Richard, The bit about the telegram and the fanfare brought a smile to my face.

Congratulations !

I tried the google images bit with no luck David,  I get a lot of my from microstock images turn up all over the place, I was rather hoping that wasn't going to happen with RM stuff..still here's hoping ;) .

Well done on the sale(s), Steve (and Chris!)

Thanks Danny.

Did you try "Steve B...(your full full name)  Alamy" in the Google search box (in quotation marks). I have found a number of uses of my images this way, even got some publishers to send me clips too.

BTW  When Alamy paid a higher commission on higher images prices, first-time sellers would to be happy to buy a round at the pub...we're now willing to wait until you reach the $175 payout level...LOL

Dave

Did you try "Steve B...(your full full name)  Alamy" in the Google search box (in quotation marks). I have found a number of uses of my images this way, even got some publishers to send me clips too.

BTW  When Alamy paid a higher commission on higher images prices, first-time sellers would to be happy to buy a round at the pub...we're now willing to wait until you reach the $175 payout level...LOL

Dave

HEY - YIPPIE - Thanks for that tip!  Looks like I've just made my first (as yet unreported) sale!!!!

Did the search you suggested and found a link to the old forum.  Of course, this is now unavailable (blast!), but I get the following précis from Google:

Feb 27, 2013 – March 2013 Issue, UK, Which?, p19, Morrisons - interior, D06G5Y, Danny Callcut [Alamy credit only] March 2013 Issue, UK, Which?, p20, ...

Beers all round!!

Using the 'name+Alamy' word type search works of course but only when the image is credited - most - and I mean most, of the uses of your images will not have a by-line - and Google Image search only searches online picture  uses - it would never have found the printed use in "Which" if some kind forum slave had not entered it in the 'images found' section of the forum.

It found your image by a word search not an image search. Do them both.

But please avoid asking publishers for tear sheets of images - it really annoys them as Alamy knows (that is one of the reasons that your publication infomation is limited) - contact their back-numbers department if you must and buy a copy. When you license an image you become a professional - i.e. you do it for money !

Well done Danny and co. the first one is always a thrill !

• 2 weeks later...

But please avoid asking publishers for tear sheets of images - it really annoys them as Alamy knows (that is one of the reasons that your publication infomation is limited) - contact their back-numbers department if you must and buy a copy. When you license an image you become a professional - i.e. you do it for money !

Well done Danny and co. the first one is always a thrill !

You are quite right, DavidC, about not pestering publishers directly for tear sheets. I just happened to personally know an agent for an educational publication that used one of my images; she was happy to send me a virtual "tear sheet." 

Danny, I'm glad that you were able to "find the needle in a haystack" using my suggestion. It's one of many search techniques that the forum contributors generously provided years ago that has worked for me. Congratulations on your first sale; may you have many more!

Dave

Archived