I'm not as active as I once was with selling stock so I don't often go looking through my Alamy account balance.  Last night I had cause to pull up my account balance and I trawled through it in detail.  I noticed that there were two sales in 2009 that had never cleared and I had never been paid for.

Because it was late at night I decided not to do anything about it at that time, but leave it till this morning to contact MS to find out what was going on with them.

As I logged on to the site this morning - both of those sales were showing as 'refunded' with a refund date of TODAY!

Is this just a strange co-incidence or are Alamy monitoring what we do on the site - did someone or some AlamyBot see that I had looked at those sales yesterday and flag them up to be refunded??  I'm starting to wonder if I need to break out the tin foil hat again!  ;-)

These were sales that were never paid to you (or us). We've been trying to secure payment since 2009 but the company involved has been made bankrupt. Sometimes when this happens there are funds available that we share with you but unfortunately in this case this wasn't possible as there were no funds paid to us.

We've therefore had to write these sales off. It will be listed as a 'refund' in your account but really it's more of a cancellation.

It was a coincidence that you happened to be checking these last night.

Alamy

Shouldn't Alamy be taking these companies who don't pay to small claims court within a few months of non-payment? Interest and late payment fees should be added if they miss the payment deadlines.

No point now after 5 years of letting them away with it saying they've gone bust so tough luck!!

Shouldn't Alamy be taking these companies who don't pay to small claims court within a few months of non-payment? Interest and late payment fees should be added if they miss the payment deadlines.

No point now after 5 years of letting them away with it saying they've gone bust so tough luck!!

There's always a balance between time spent and amount to be reclaimed.  Of course one can argue both sides... Maybe the debts should be sold on and take whatever the collection agency will pay you for them but ultimately nobody will be interested in chasing a small amount.  As for small claims, who's going to enforce the judgement - another hassle.  Legal action is time consuming and painful for everyone concerned - very tough if the other side is just plain awkward!

I also had two of these yesterday. 2009 and 2008.  I am taking it up with accounts as if I have never been paid as it says these were refunded because the client has gone bankrupt, then  accounts should not deduct the payments from my sales reports as I am now losing the value of the UNCLEARED  sales. I am worse off than if I had never had the shots selected in the first place ??? If... so surely the shots were still UNCLEARED then I have never received any money from them and the "refunds" should not affect my CLEARED balance.

It should not affect your cleared balance as they were never cleared in the first place. It should just affect balance carried forward. Uncleared sales would be reduced because they were uncleared and added at the time of sale

Kevin

There's always a balance between time spent and amount to be reclaimed.  Of course one can argue both sides... Maybe the debts should be sold on and take whatever the collection agency will pay you for them but ultimately nobody will be interested in chasing a small amount.  As for small claims, who's going to enforce the judgement - another hassle.  Legal action is time consuming and painful for everyone concerned - very tough if the other side is just plain awkward!

True, unfortunately. Even if small claims court rules in your favour, there is really no way of getting the defaulter to pay up short of hiring goons.

I got one of those 2009 refunds today as well. Certainly not a big surprise after such a long time.

I notice that the refunds  are marked as UNCLEARED. As long as they stay that way it does not effect my actual cash balance. There should be a simple way of viewing all uncleared balances. An extra column (uncleared) would enable us to chase up unpaid sales. Peter

Archived