I've been considering moving my personal website from PhotoShelter to LightRocket. It seems to do everything I care about at a fraction of the cost. There's less branding and it makes images searchable immediately. My only concern is that it doesn't seem as responsive as PhotoShelter.

Does anyone have any experience or opinions on LightRocket?

fD

From what I understand, premium members with annual subscriptions can apply for a one-year non-exclusive agreement with Getty, to be part of the LightRocket Collection - though I'm much more interested in their web services.

fD

Zenfolio is rather expensive account and no affiliation with agencies as far as I know...

Opened free account with LightRocked and stalled. )

Cannot understand how to protect my photos from free downloading and do not understand the pricing policy at all.

No prices under photos. How to sell?

No answers for the time being.

Zenfolio is rather expensive account and no affiliation with agencies as far as I know...

Opened free account with LightRocked and stalled. )

Cannot understand how to protect my photos from free downloading and do not understand the pricing policy at all.

No prices under photos. How to sell?

No answers for the time being.

Thanks!! I just checked out the download procedure and discovered users have to be logged in to download, and the system records each file, but there's no payment process or billing info other than a checkbox agreeing to the terms. That may be fine for "trusted clients" who pay on publication, but I don't see a way to really follow up on new clients who just happen to come in over the transome, or Google.

I guess, when the CNN or UNISEF manager finds your picture, he contact you directly via e-mail (there is such an opportunity under each photo). And you can come to an agreement about the price. But how the process actually works, I do not understand. ) So I uploaded a number of photos but did not publish them. Do not know what to do. Asked the site team, still no answer, asked two photographers, still no answer. It is clear for me, that if you do not have your own clients, you MUST have the premium account $49 first year. In that case your galleries will be published on the front page of the site and will be visible for buyers. The same way as here on News Feed. Plenty of News galleries, but not very many sales. ) It would be good to have info from the person with first hand experience. And... There are a bit more than 300 photographers-contributors, though some very distinguished ones. )

Over the past 7 years or so, I've delivered files to clients via my PhotoShelter site, and I've allowed people to download files for personal use in exchange for a signed model release, but I've never actually had a client license an image with a credit card and download using PhotoShelter's procedure. Often the license involves more paperwork or information than PhotoShelter is set up for, or it's a trusted client who pays on publication, so the lack of seamless intergration with PayPal isn't a major factor for me. 

The real dealbreaker, at least for me, is it seems anyone who's logged can download a highres file without providing any billing information, stating how the photo will be used, or negotiating a price. It's possible I've missed something there but there don't seem to be any help files explaining this.

fD

I shall add some new info.

1. No one can download your files except you. This is for sure. Sign out and that try to download your own photos. No way. You can sign in and download your photos but not photos of other people.

2. The help system is in place but not in the visible place. The team is aware of this and will change the situation in the near future. If you want to get the link to some help files contact me personally via private message, I am not sure that I am allowed to publish it openly here.

3. Strong points of the site are as follows: Still not very many photographers. You have not very many competitors there. ) Moderate price for good service, and half the price for the first year. VIP agencies, mass media TV and so on visiting site and having opportunity to see your galleries if you, as a premium member, publish them on the home page of the site. Good for keeping portfolio and galleries as your personal site and so on. They are going to add print on demand possibility... It sounds great.

4. The weak point is that is totally up to you to negotiate the deal with the customer. I can make nor head nor tail how to do this. ( 

So it does not replace Alamy but it is one more opportunity to sell or to show your photos.

Archived