Summary of items sold list

Has anyone downloaded the "Summary of items sold" list shown under Sales History in My Alamy? As it shows all details including a thumbnail of the image, thought it would make a good record. Wondered if it could be incorporated into an Excel document, so that I could add comments. Unfortunately it is not a long list, in my case :(

Has anyone downloaded the "Summary of items sold" list shown under Sales History in My Alamy? As it shows all details including a thumbnail of the image, thought it would make a good record. Wondered if it could be incorporated into an Excel document, so that I could add comments. Unfortunately it is not a long list, in my case :(

Pablo,

I do not know of any way to copy the sales information as a spread sheet, and so far no one else has come up with one either.

I keep a very detailed spreadsheet with my image sales information on it.   I set this up when I first started to make sales, and I would hate to do it now that I have making sales for 8 years.   

Mine has:

(1) Records of date sold, gross and net price, license details. It also notes date uploaded and calculates days from upload to sale.

(2) A separate sheet with numbers sold per year and month with running totals of average gross and net price.     

(3) A third sheet listing images sold under my file name.   Against each image I have number of times sold, highest, lowest and average gross price.

It has evolved over the years and I would make it simpler if I were starting again now.

If you want to do something like this, I suggest you start soon because the more sales you have thw worse the job of setting it up will be.

You could add the table using a Web Query within Excel:

• Open a new sheet in Excel or have the cell selected where you want the info to be placed
  • On the Data tab, Select the second icon, 'From Web'
  • In the large dialog box, enter the address of the sales page in the address bar: http://www.alamy.com//stock-photography-contrib-sales-history.asp and click 'Go'
  • You may likely have to log in from within the dialog box
  • Select the page using the arrow in the yellow box icon and click 'Import'
  • The data will be downloaded and inserted into your Excel sheet

There are multiple drawbacks to this, however.  A Web Query from Excel is designed to update (constantly changing) information directly from the Web such as exchange rates, flight times, etc. and these are usually placed in convenient blocks (usually tables) that may easily be placed within Excel cells.  The Alamy example above is not designed to be used in such a fashion and therefore one has to select the whole page to be placed into your document.  Also, the nature of a Web Query is that it should automatically update the information upon opening the file.  I don't think that this will happen here, as:

1. You will likely have to log in each time.
  2. There are various options open to you within the page regarding timescale ('statement period'), so the Excel query will not know what timescale you wish to extract.

However, I guess that having placed the info into an Excel sheet in this fashion once, you could select the pertinent info you require, and then paste it into a new sheet.  It would not automatically update, but it would contain all the info you require.

PHEW!  After all that, I have to say that what I do is very similar to Peter's solution above, but I include info regarding submissions, too.

Here's how.

Select your time period in the Summary.  Highlight everything from the blank cell above the first picture to the final amount value.

Copy it (Ctrl-C)

Paste into Excel (Ctrl-V) in Cell A1

Highlight everything in Excel (Ctrl-A) and use the Format tools to Autofit column width and column height. 

Tweak to suit.

Once formatted it will be easy to add subsequent months or, if you are doing a lot of sales (well done), multiple screens.

Update:  Just tested, works OK for Excel 2003 and 2010.

PHEW!  After all that, I have to say that what I do is very similar to Peter's solution above, but I include info regarding submissions, too.

Thanks for the Excel lesson, I used it a lot when I used to do proper work, but not since I retired 10 years ago.

I have a separate spread sheet for submission data.  For each submission it has the original file name and date taken, upload date, and all the keywords, location etc.  If it passes QC I add the Alamy file name.  If not I either note fail or resubmit date.

It is useful to be able to quickly copy keywords from a similar previous image to a new one.

Needless to say this spreadsheet is much larger than the sales one.

Archived