Coolscan V ED Driver for Windows 7 64 Bit

Hi everybody.

I am trying to install my Nikon Coolscan V ED on a Windows 7 64 bit system,  Nikon say that they don't support 64 bit,  however i am sure it is possible.

Anybody had success in doing so?

Thanks to all.

Paul.

I'm still using 7 64bit on my main system, but I keep an old 32bit XP laptop to do my scanning on.  I have two versions

of CS5, one running 64bit and the other running 32.  As far as I know there are no 64bit TWAIN drivers.

I plan on keeping my old T62 Lenovo, with PCMCIA slots running for as long as I can.

Doug,

My fellow 4000 user,  I've tried to get my 4000 connected to my main desktop (XPS running 7 Pro 64bit) but I gave up..

Are you connecting the 4000 via USB?  I only connect my 4000 using an ADAPTEC PCMCIA card.  The USB connection

never worked well for me and it was too slow.

Chuck,

Yes, I use USB. The connection isn't as fast as the old SCSI, but at least I can connect it. Since the computer itself is leaps and bounds faster than the old one, it pretty much balances out. Also, being dual core I can run scans in the background while doing something else.

After reading all comments,  i have decided to follow fellow scanners here and go with my old XP laptop,  i looked at the Vuescan,  but why pay for and learn another program.

Thanks to All :).

Paul.

I'm running Windows 7 Pro 64 bit , but I decided to keep my Windows XP machine alive for scanning (Nikon Coolscan 4000) purposes.

A lot of people use Vuescan software with Windows 7/8. I haven't tried it.

Try it..!  Great thing with Vuescan is you can scan in 'raw' then go back and play around with all the settings on the raw file, and you see the changes on screen almost instantly without having to re-scan every time.

After reading all comments,  i have decided to follow fellow scanners here and go with my old XP laptop,  i looked at the Vuescan,  but why pay for and learn another program.

It's very easy to use.  Try it - the free trial version is fully functional (but it puts a watermark on the image).  Yes you have to pay but if you get the 'pro' version you get unlimited free upgrades.

I've no connection with Hamrick but you can tell I'm a fan of this software.... :)

I would back the Vuescan route. I kept on old Vista 32 bit machine running to use SCSI with my Microtek 4000t film scanner. Not used it for a while but will be this winter to scan more of my archive. Support is good and many rate Vuescan as better than Silverfast ; that was the only other, more expensive, option I would have had to get my scanner working as the original software would not run on my Vista machine (and it wasn't great anyway).

I'm running Windows 7 Pro 64 bit , but I decided to keep my Windows XP machine alive for scanning (Nikon Coolscan 4000) purposes.

A lot of people use Vuescan software with Windows 7/8. I haven't tried it.

Try it..!  Great thing with Vuescan is you can scan in 'raw' then go back and play around with all the settings on the raw file, and you see the changes on screen almost instantly without having to re-scan every time.

It's very easy to use.  Try it - the free trial version is fully functional (but it puts a watermark on the image).  Yes you have to pay but if you get the 'pro' version you get unlimited free upgrades.

I've no connection with Hamrick but you can tell I'm a fan of this software.... :)

Thanks. I've always heard good things about Vuescan. I do very little scanning these days, so I'm hesitant to buy new software. I might download the trial version and have a look at it, though.

It's been a while since I used my Nikon IV scanner. Does anyone know how the tech details effect Mac users like me?

I used a Coolscan V for years (Edo, wasn't yours the same?); first with Nikon software and later Vuescan on an iMac (late 2009). It is a brilliant tool written and sold by a former NASA guy. Buying and upgrading is very easy and the software is efficient, using a small amount of space. It allows you to use almost any scanner out there. When I changed to a Coolscan 8000 I needed a cable (Firewire 400 to 800) that I found on Ebay for $6. All good after that and I just had a few 35mm scans pass QC.

It's been a while since I used my Nikon IV scanner. Does anyone know how the tech details effect Mac users like me?

I used a Coolscan V for years (Edo, wasn't yours the same?); first with Nikon software and later Vuescan on an iMac (late 2009). It is a brilliant tool written and sold by a former NASA guy. Buying and upgrading is very easy and the software is efficient, using a small amount of space. It allows you to use almost any scanner out there. When I changed to a Coolscan 8000 I needed a cable (Firewire 400 to 800) that I found on Ebay for $6. All good after that and I just had a few 35mm scans pass QC.

Sorry to change the subject, but did you submit the scans at full resolution (i.e. no downsizing)? I haven't submitted scans for a few years, and I'm not sure how QC reacts to them these days.

Nikon's scanning software stopped working for me sometime back when I was on Snow Leopard so I purchased VueScan. Since newer versions of OS X no longer include Rosetta there's no way of running legacy software like Nikon Scan.

VueScan works fine with transparencies but I'm not entirely happy with the low contrast results I've been getting from B&W negatives. No profiles for Tri-X or Ilford films so I have to make do with T-Max.

Sorry to change the subject, but did you submit the scans at full resolution (i.e. no downsizing)? I haven't submitted scans for a few years, and I'm not sure how QC reacts to them these days.

I have not uploaded scans for 2 years, as QC is so tight these days i would think not.

Today i scanned several images, sharpness, and grain looked terrible,  after viewing digital for so long my eyes have become adjusted to the clean detail of pixels.

Paul.

I have not uploaded scans for 2 years, as QC is so tight these days i would think not.

Today i scanned several images, sharpness, and grain looked terrible,  after viewing digital for so long my eyes have become adjusted to the clean detail of pixels.

Paul.

Same here. The thought of submitting scans these days gives me hives, but I might give it a try during the dead of winter when I don't mind sin bin vacations so much.

You are probably right that my Coolscan is a V, Kevin -- not surprised that your memory is better than mine. :wacko: It's in a box in the back room somewhere. I never toss anything, it seems. 

I think your plan to downsize some is a sound one, John. So do I understand that Nikon has come out with a new version of their scanning program? 

I'm not looking to put together an archival collection. My plan is to scan only my best timeless images.  B)

You are probably right that my Coolscan is a V, Kevin -- not surprised that your memory is better than mine. :wacko: It's in a box in the back room somewhere. I never toss anything, it seems. 

I think your plan to downsize some is a sound one, John. So do I understand that Nikon has come out with a new version of their scanning program? 

I'm not looking to put together an archival collection. My plan is to scan only my best timeless images.  B)

Nope, it looks as if Nikon stopped providing updates in 2009 with Nikon Scan 4.0.

Update: there seems to be a 4.0.2 updated version as well, also issued in 2009.

I plan to give priority to some medium format film shot only a few years ago. The film is in good condition and the scanner has ICE, so they should pass QC.

As far as my archive of thousands of slides; I'll only try some of the very best. Even then I'll be anxious about them passing. Most of my recent sales are of 35mm scans, so customers can certainly use them.

I use Vuescan for scanning transparencies, albeit with an Epson scanner rather than Nikon, and the software is easy to use, and produces excellent results, with the multi-exposure setting dragging a bit more detail from the shadows. (However, I prefer Epson Scan for negative scans , whether b/w or colour.) Generally, I now only scan transparencies and negatives for my own personal use, and if it has commercial potential I submit the  scan to Alamy.  I now only submit 35mm scans to Alamy via the Archival route due to QC concerns, and I have a separate pseudo for my archival images – sales are occasional.  However, one 35mm image from 1970 has sold several times, even though it is a little soft and grainy (an Agfa CT 18 original), probably because there are few pics of the subject on Alamy. 

I use Vuescan for scanning transparencies, albeit with an Epson scanner rather than Nikon, and the software is easy to use, and produces excellent results, with the multi-exposure setting dragging a bit more detail from the shadows. (However, I prefer Epson Scan for negative scans , whether b/w or colour.) Generally, I now only scan transparencies and negatives for my own personal use, and if it has commercial potential I submit the  scan to Alamy.  I now only submit 35mm scans to Alamy via the Archival route due to QC concerns, and I have a separate pseudo for my archival images – sales are occasional.  However, one 35mm image from 1970 has sold several times, even though it is a little soft and grainy (an Agfa CT 18 original), probably because there are few pics of the subject on Alamy. 

Forgive my ignorance, but how do you submit scans via the archival route? I can't seem to find any info about this on the Alamy website. Where is it discussed? Thanks.

Edit: I just stumbled upon some info about the archival route here. It's pretty vague, though.

Hi everybody.

I am trying to install my Nikon Coolscan V ED on a Windows 7 64 bit system,  Nikon say that they don't support 64 bit,  however i am sure it is possible.

Anybody had success in doing so?

Thanks to all.

Paul.

As indicated if you have physical connection I am sure Vuescan will do it - it's constantly supported too

Good luck

john

Archived