Anyone using silkypix rawconverter?

As some of you may have seen I have been having issues with my X-E1. This morning whilst compiling a file of sample images for Fuji (their request), I opened one in my normal lightroom 4, it looked awful, oversharpened on all edges almost, and much more CA than when opened in the Silkypix. The Silkypix almost looked like it was taken on a different camera! This is all without making any adjustments whatsoever.

My Lightroom does run incredibly slowly and I have previously wondered if possibly, just possibly, some of my files could be getting a little corrupted/damaged.

So my question is I suppose, is anyone using silkypix for their editing? How do you find you get along with it?

Thanks

Tried Silkypix when I first used Fuji but found it rather clunky. Did try C1P but personally did not get on with it either, although others will sing it's praises. I am using LR5 now for processing all RAWS and am happy with it.

Allan

Have you tried Adobe Camera Raw?

Jill

Hi Jill

No I have not, I had not even thought about it. But thank you for the suggestion. I see it is free to download, so think I will give it a go :) Nothing to lose. Thanks again

I've used Silkypix for years and like it a lot. As with people who regularly use Capture One and don't like Silkypix, I tried C1 and found its interface difficult to use and the results none better than what I get with SP. One of the benefits of Silkypix, which might also pertain to other raw converters as far as I know, is that you can open JPEG and TIFF images and treat them as if they were raw files. With images from the X-Trans sensor and 18-55mm lens, I found some PF that was pretty much impossible to get rid of. However, in the JPEG files, Fuji uses some kind of magic to eliminate it. So, although I always shot only raw in my previous camera, with the Fuji X-E1 I shoot JPEGs and open them in Silkypix, apply "Dodge and Color Burn" and film taste — usually V1 (a light form of Velvia) — and any perspective corrections. All images done in this manner have passed QC.

Jill

When I say my RAWS are processed in LR they are actually in ACR within LR. They are then exported as tiff's.

Actually I was thinking about this earlier and wondered if it is possible to open ACR directly without resorting to opening PS/PSE/LR initially?

Allan

As some of you may have seen I have been having issues with my X-E1. This morning whilst compiling a file of sample images for Fuji (their request), I opened one in my normal lightroom 4, it looked awful, oversharpened on all edges almost, and much more CA than when opened in the Silkypix. The Silkypix almost looked like it was taken on a different camera! This is all without making any adjustments whatsoever.

My Lightroom does run incredibly slowly and I have previously wondered if possibly, just possibly, some of my files could be getting a little corrupted/damaged.

So my question is I suppose, is anyone using silkypix for their editing? How do you find you get along with it?

Thanks

I have tried Silkypix a few times and couldn't get on with it. Now Nikon have lost Nik to Google I understand Caputre NXD uses the Silkypix enine [or parts thereof] and NX2 has come to the end of the line.

For Fuji Raw use Irridient Developer and [because it is a little slow am trialing Capture One. Actually APerture is not bad either but id to be dropped in its present form so...Most of my stuff is now Fuji.

Jill

When I say my RAWS are processed in LR they are actually in ACR within LR. They are then exported as tiff's.

Actually I was thinking about this earlier and wondered if it is possible to open ACR directly without resorting to opening PS/PSE/LR initially?

Allan

Assuming you have your raw files set to open in Photoshop (or Elements), then you can work on them in ACR by double clicking the images in a Finder window. This will cause Photoshop to open but you can process the image in the ACR window and click Done when finished without opening the image into a Photoshop window. This will produce the sidecar xmp file (if that is what you have opted for in the ACR prefs) so that, if you work on the raw file in the future, it will retain the changes you have made. I think the Lightroom interface is better than the ACR one for most things (except for curves which are much more Photoshop-like in ACR than in Lightroom).

Jill

Allan

Assuming you have your raw files set to open in Photoshop (or Elements), then you can work on them in ACR by double clicking the images in a Finder window. This will cause Photoshop to open but you can process the image in the ACR window and click Done when finished without opening the image into a Photoshop window. This will produce the sidecar xmp file (if that is what you have opted for in the ACR prefs) so that, if you work on the raw file in the future, it will retain the changes you have made. I think the Lightroom interface is better than the ACR one for most things (except for curves which are much more Photoshop-like in ACR than in Lightroom).

Thanks MDM.

Allan

• 6 months later...

Morning folks:

Does anyone here know how to uninstall Silkypix from Mac?  I've been struggling with it all morning as it won't open files?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks,

Kathy

I've not used Silkypix and I assume it is not a Photoshop plugin. The usual thing on a Mac if there is no unistaller provided (which is the case for most apps) is to just drag the application to the trash and delete. The app should be in your applications folder and should be called something like SilkyPix.app.

Archived