Should I laugh or cry?

No new toys for Johnny, I'm afraid.

My guess is that the first (high) price was the calculator price. At least the client leased a second image (at the lower price, of course), and they weren't distributor sales. Still, it's worrying to see textbook sales going under the limbo stick.

I should really learn how to spell, though. Wish there was a way to edit post titles.

My sympathy but I guess you half-expected it to be refunded as it was so over the top.

BTW, you can edit thread titles - go to one of your (original?) post, selext Use Full Editor and then you will be able to edit the title.

Thanks for the tip. Hadn't realized that it's possible to edit thread titles. Worked like a charm. Live and learn.

Is it normal to return money 6 months after fully cleared and fulfillled payment? Why not in 12 or 24 months?

There was some thread where people gave examples - some got refund after few years! Old system still in practise I'm affraid :(

It should be stopped. 3 months is enough time to make decisios by client if he'll use image or not. If he changes his mind after so long period (many months, years) he should pay some % for delay. That's my opinion.

Is it normal to return money 6 months after fully cleared and fulfillled payment? Why not in 12 or 24 months?

There was some thread where people gave examples - some got refund after few years! Old system still in practise I'm affraid :(

It should be stopped. 3 months is enough time to make decisios by client if he'll use image or not. If he changes his mind after so long period (many months, years) he should pay some % for delay. That's my opinion.

Fortunately, I haven't had that many refunds, and they've always been within a short time after the sale. Refunding money several months later sounds ridiculous to me. Most stores don't let you return merchandise after a couple of weeks. However, I suppose that with all the competition, stock agencies now feel they have to bend over backwards to please clients.

No one has ever asked me for a refund after leasing an image from me directly. Hope it never happens because I'm not sure what I would do.

According to Sprocket this is in the EULA:

Licence cancellation

Provided you have not used the Image(s) you may cancel the Licence within 30 days from the date of the Invoice by sending Alamy an email with notification of the cancellation to the following address: sales@alamy.com.

You may cancel the Licence within ten (10) days from the date of the Invoice without charge.
    If you cancel less than thirty (30) days after the Invoice date, a cancellation fee of fifty (50%) percent of the Invoice will be charged.
    After thirty (30) days, no cancellations will be accepted and the full amount of the invoice must be paid.

Cancelling the Licence revokes a right to publish, reproduce or use the Image(s) in any manner whatsoever.

Could not find it myself.

wim

Interestingly enough, back in the "good old days" of film, I never had a stock agency tell me that fees for one of my images had been refunded. I assume that they just absorbed the losses if there were any refunds. Also, they probably realized that once I had been paid, I wouldn't have given them the money back anyway. Nowadays with everything being done electronically, it's a different story. Funds can be added and subtracted to and from accounts surreptitiously with the click of a mouse. As always, technological change is a double-edged sword.

That is true for me too, John. But one big difference is that Alamy says they are reporting sales in as they come in. My film based agencies of yesteryear, reported sales quarterly or monthly. Most of my refunds, on Alamy, have be made within two weeks of showing up in my sales. But I agree that the digital age has changed many things, including sales refunds.

That is true for me too, John. But one big difference is that Alamy says they are reporting sales in as they come in. My film based agencies of yesteryear, reported sales quarterly or monthly. Most of my refuns, on Alamy, have be made within two weeks of showing up in my sales. But I agree that the digital age has changed many things, including sales refunds.

Yes, that's true. There was a significant time lag with quarterly reporting, which gave enough leeway for refunds to occur without our knowing about it. With sales being reported almost in "real time" (odd expression), the situation is much different.

:(  My heart is saddened by your $885 loss and my thoughts and prayers are with you.

May peace and comfort find you during this difficult time. :(

Cheers,

Philippe

Hahahahaha

Hard luck on that one.

Thank you so much for the kind words. Donations will be gladly accepted in lieu of flowers.

Archived